Join Early Retirement Today

What to do when you can't get life insurance?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What to do when you can't get life insurance?

So I was trying to help my friend out in getting in financial life in order. I suggested the basics:

1. LBYM
2. Max out the Roth
3. Max out the 401(k)
4. Keep 3-month living expenses in cash
5. Get a term life insurance policy (as he is married, owns a house, and has a kid on the way).

BUT...it turns out he has a congenital heart condition that the puts him, according to the underwriters, as "uninsurable."

Suggestions #1-4 are what I have read over and over again here and on Morningstar's VG Diehards...but #5 kind of took me by surprise.

I should be grateful for my "insurable" status...

but as for my friend, where does he go now?
LRAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What to do when you can't get life insurance?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:32 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's a tough one. I guess I would give it another try, particularly with an agent that has experience placing touch cases. Barring that, there are insurers that will underwrite high risk life insurance (USFL, among others), but they charge so much for the "coverage" that you'd probably be better off just putting the money away in investments.

I think that if he really cannot get life insurance (aside from the high risk stuff of dubious value), it just puts more emphasis on steps 1 through 4. It also suggests that he should be living each day richly...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Does he belong to some group, trade association, or other entity which offers group life without individual underwriting? If not, perhaps you can help him find one.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

remind him of the Social Security Survivor's benefits his survivors will receive. They pay a hefty sum to surviving children up to age 18 and spouses who care for children. The amount of the benefits in my personal situation would be over $2000/month. It won't cover everything but will go a long way towards putting food on the table and paying the mortgage.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyone with a life expectancy over a couple of years can get life insurance, but some people will have to pay dearly. *This leads to an interesting question - at what price should he not buy the insurance? *On the one hand, the more it costs the less it benefits his family, on the other, the more it costs the more they need it.

If he truly can't get it (or the cost is out of reach), then he should pay attention to step #6 - make out a will. *He may also want to look into group policies through work or otherwise as Tampa mentions.
bongo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo2
If he truly can't get it (or the cost is out of reach), then he should pay attention to step #6 - make out a will. *He may also want to look into group policies through work or otherwise as Tampa mentions.
Regardless of whether he can or cannot get life insurance, he should definately have his estate planned out, with a will and anything else appropriate.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:00 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Regardless of whether he can or cannot get life insurance, he should definately have his estate planned out, with a will and anything else appropriate.
Agree...............I can personally tell you what a mess it is for a SINGLE person, much less a married one with children.

High risk insurance tends to be a ripoff..............the companies crush you on the rates................they can make whole life look cheap..............

Have him check at work........many companies have group term that you can buy through payroll deduction.* The company usually subsidized part of the premium, and some companies let you buy up to 5X salary without evidence of insurability.

Good luck..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I might also (with some trepidation-) add that if his wife isn't prepared for a decent-paying job that she enjoys, that she take the trouble to become so. Just in case.

And I hope he beats the odds!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:10 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
I might also (with some trepidation-) add that if his wife isn't prepared for a decent-paying job that she enjoys, that she take the trouble to become so. Just in case.

And I hope he beats the odds!
I'm hoping that's not the case...........it would be tough for the kids to lose their dad, and then "lose their mother" to the workforce. Or, force her to marry another for financial security............also not a good idea...................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote