What to Do When You're Not Quite Ready to Retire

Thanks for the link, the comments are enjoyable to read.

Slightly OT, but I thought this interesting enough for a little research:
Two years ago, she discovered HubPages, where members can write blogs on a wide variety of subjects and receive 60% of the revenue generated by ads placed on their pages. Abee, who usually writes about Southern cooking, animals and saltwater fishing under the name "Habee," has developed a loyal following, which translates into more clicks and more money. She earns about $1,300 per month.
My thinking being that I already [-]waste too much time[/-] spend time writing for free on the internets - why not let someone pay me for it? The amount seemed higher than my expectations about such things. So I took a quick peek at the site and some of the pages....
"You don't have to be Hemingway or Faulkner to be successful on HubPages..."
Turns out you don't even have to know how to spell, or have any accurate or remotely useful information about the subject matter. Sort of casts the $1,300 a month figure in doubt. I might be wrong about that, but three articles in a row filled with garbage and enough creative spelling to make an English teacher want to suicide makes me think the whole thing is BS.

The more articles I read about early-retirement, written by non-retired people, the less I trust such things.

Thanks for posting the original link.

I had a look at HubPages (which I had not heard of before). A random sampling of posts in areas that interest me a mix of some interesting stuff, a much smaller amount of poorly written rubbish and a lot of articles which simply went over material which has been thrashed to death over the years.

As far as usage is concerned, there may be some benefit in looking at areas where I have limited experience/knowledge (and am prepared to verify from other sources as needed) but I from my very unscientific inspection, I'd be largely wasting my time on subjects with which I am already familiar.

As far as earning side income from it, if I was running a blog to make money, I'd probably repost whatever is going on to my blog there as the effort involved is minimal (assung HubPages allows this). Otherwise, I would expect it to be very hard for most people to make enough money to justify the effort. Of course, there will always be outliers who do better than most.

Back
Top Bottom