Join Early Retirement Today

What to do with Met Life Ins. Policy
Old 01-31-2006, 08:01 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What to do with Met Life Ins. Policy

Hi all, looking for opinions....

When I was 18 my parents had me get a Met Life Life insurance policy, I believe it is considered an annuity. The current death benefit is 38K, it pays it's own premiums, and the cash value is 3K....

Would I be better off taking the cash surrender and investing it? Maybe open a Roth with it? Should I leave it alone seeing as it pays it's own premiums? I am currently single, getting married later this year, no kids, the only debt right now is a 56K mortgage....

What do you think?

Thanks,
Adventuregirl
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What to do with Met Life Ins. Policy
Old 01-31-2006, 08:22 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It depends somewhat on your other financial holdings etc.* Some of the older insurance products were real bargains (and some not), but you might want to hang on to it for its good death benefit considering you've got a lifestyle change in your near future.

BTW, when I said "older" insurance product, I did not mean to imply you were old.* I'm assuming you are 22 and this policy had a hell of a run.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Do you need the life insurance?

Forget about the cash value for now.

It sounds like you do not have an annuity but a whole life policy that uses dividends to pay the premium.

If the $38k is part of your life insurance protection program, you may continue to keep it since you are not haveing to pay for it out of pocket and the cash value increases each year.

If you do not need the insurance, you should probably consider cashing it in. Prior to surrendering it though, ask MetLife how much of the cash value proceeds will be takable to you.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You know, I don't really know if I need the life insurance ....I'm in my late 30's, soon to be married, no plans for kids. I have 1X my salery in LI through my work, as long as I'm employed. Fiance says cash it out he wouldn't need it if something happened to me, but I just don't know ...... :P

Adventuregirl
Old 02-02-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you have a mortgage that your fiance would not be able to handle if you and your earnings were not around? Anyone else that depends on your income? If not, sunds like cashing it in would be appropriate.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

No, mortgage + taxes approx. $600.00/month, he can handle that no problem......I guess even if we moved we could always be sure that the mortgage was something that either one of us could pay on our own....and our FIRE plans include a paid off mortgage anyway....

Adventuregirl
Old 02-04-2006, 05:50 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Before surrendering the policy, look at borrowing out the maximum cash value. You most likely will still receive dividends that cover the premium and you will have use of 90% of the cash. It's been paid into so long that sacrificing the future dividend stream may be foolish.
New Thinking is offline   Reply With Quote