What was/is your dream job?

On the flip side of this coin, I cannot imagine a worse job:

One Reporter’s Lonely Beat, Witnessing Executions

Of all the consequences of shrinking newsrooms, one of the oddest is this: Fewer journalists are available to watch people die. But Michael Graczyk has witnessed more than 300 deaths, and many of those were people he had come to know.

In hindsight,

I had 2 very good jobs, because I was able to help others. First, was a Social Security Administration Claims Representative. Second, was working on the Employee Protections Provisions of the Mass Transit statute, which involved mediating labor disputes in bus and subway systems. Believe me, I didn't realize it at the time, but now that I am retiring in 2 weeks, I can see that I improved the retirement and working lives of others. This meant that I could look myself in the mirror each day.

My other jobs involved firing and disciplining people in the Federal government. Now those jobs caused a few sleepless nights, even though they did it to themselves and I just did the paperwork.

Now, I am looking forward to getting a part-time job in a bookstore, because I can spend hours in a bookstore without noticing time passing.

Last edited:
Umm... I never golf, and never will. But I can't think of a gotcha here. Do golfers suffer any injuries like tennis players with their elbows? Adversaries hitting them on the head with a golf club? Hazard of stray balls? Anything?
I guess travel, and pressure, and lack of privacy if you're really successful. The pressure would be both on each shot, and the general week to week pressure of making cuts and placing high enough to stay on the tour. I'm sure there's a chance of back or shoulder problems or other issues that could harm your swing, but other than that and the competition, it all seems under your control.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more head cases out there where guys suddenly just can't hit the ball straight anymore. Baseball has a few cases. Steve Blass and Rick Ankiel were successful pitchers (Blass for many years, Ankiel was still an up-and-comer) who suddenly couldn't throw strikes anymore. Sports Illustrated author Pat Jordan wrote a book about how this happened to him in the minors. Steve Sax had a time where he couldn't make the easy throw to first. And there was a catcher, who's name escapes me, that had a lot of trouble actually making the throw back to the pitcher. It seems you don't hear about golfers who suddenly go from the tour to being a 5 or 10 handicap.

My dream job: The producer/camera man/recruiter of Girls Gone Wild.

My previous dream job that I thought I would be able to do after ER is dance instruction, but after seeing how my current dance instructor has to sell like a maniac to unwilling buyer (mainly me not wanting to shell out another $2600 for 26 private lessons because cheaper options abound), I have decided that dance instruction is probably not for me either.

I love to write too.

My dream job though would be a long distance car driver. I love to drive and I love road trips.

Well paid musician, making beautiful music and getting paid to do it, that's the ticket!

Coffee Barista. I have incredible envy everytime I walk into a coffee shop, and always wish I was a Barista. No, not an owner, I want to be an employee. You get to make people happy by making their drink, take pride in your work, listen to cool music all day, and interact with people. The occasional jerk that orders coffee will be out of your life in minutes. If you make a mistake, there are no dire, long-term consequences--- you simply make another cup. If only I could support my family on a Barista's salary.....

Page linked at USAJobs indicated j*b was not available for viewing.
Just out of curiosity, what was the position?

The job (Physical Scientist) was originally listed as being open until 10/20 so they probably pulled the ad. I wish I would have pdf'd it. It was for field data collection for hydrographic studies in the Grand Canyon, taking GPS observations of river features, flora and fauna, etc. Then the data is compiled in a GIS (geographic information system) for analysis as to how the features affect hydrography in the area. I'll keep my eye open for other similar job posts.

Another part time job I'm interested in is for Homeland Security, CIA, etc analyzing aerial photography, preparing maps, etc. I havent found anything on this yet

This job may have crossed my mind a time or two:

The Loin in Winter: Hefner Reflects, and Grins

Then I, too, could have a twinkle in my eye. (Of course, I would try -- unsuccessfully, no doubt -- for a less lecherous look.)

Hefner.JPG

So far I am doing what I dreamed about doing...

1) Retired from the Navy after 20 years-8 months

2) Work part-time at the local Air Force Base Golf Course

3) Coaching a High School Baseball team & Middle School Basketball team

4) Going to school working on a Master's Degree in Sports Management

All of them pay me $$$$ and it's fun!

As for me? I never want to work at another job again, but if the bottom fell out and I needed the money, I guess the job I would mind least would be a programming job that I could do by telecommuting. As long as I am designing the job, let's make it a FORTRAN programming job completely done by telecommuting.

Want2, I never knew you were a programmer. I was a programmer. Mainframe cobol, pl1, db2, etc. I agree, programming would be my ideal job, .... IF ...... one could control the assignments. At some times, I did almost have complete control of my work schedule, timelines, etc, I was allowed to telecommute 3 days a week, and it was the perfect job. :)

I don't know how much programming W2R has done, but most engineers do some programming to find numerical solutions to engineering problems. See her degrees. In fact, some computer programming has always been part of an engineering curriculum. In the old days, FORTRAN was de rigueur, but now I guess they use C or a higher level and easier to use package such as Matlab.

Want2, I never knew you were a programmer. I was a programmer. Mainframe cobol, pl1, db2, etc. I agree, programming would be my ideal job, .... IF ...... one could control the assignments. At some times, I did almost have complete control of my work schedule, timelines, etc, I was allowed to telecommute 3 days a week, and it was the perfect job. :)
I have never been hired solely as a programmer, although in the past I have done all my own numerical modeling programming rather than having an assistant do it. I like programming, and I think it would be at least as entertaining as some of the other jobs people have listed on this thread! Especially if one could control the work schedule as you say. :)

Out of the blue I was offered a job as a programmer last year, but (1) it paid the same as I am currently making, (2) it didn't involve telecommuting, (3), the work schedule was not relaxing, (4) it wasn't a good direction to go for career development, and (5) for me the bottom has not fallen out yet, and (6) I plan to retire in a couple of weeks! :D Still, it was intriguing.

Last edited:
Being optimistic there, sir?

I had my dream job during highschool/college making kayaks. I was in complete charge of the small parts department(just me) making seats, hatches and paddles. 20 years later working as a Aerospace engineering, I realized what aspects of the kayak job I liked. The kayak job didn't require me to work with alot of people, I was in charge (of a department of 1), and as long as there was a full small part inventory, nobody hassled me.

Engineering has given better pay, but, I dont find working with people very pleasurable. I will continue this path until i am financially independant, but, my new dream job will be a snowplow driver. I looooove winter storms and if people piss me off in the big truck, I will mess them UP!

Right now I program mainly in python and C#, both for web and embedded. Use SQL a lot too.

Male gigolo.......just kidding...........:)

Out of the blue I was offered a job as a programmer last year, but (1) it paid the same as I am currently making, (2) it didn't involve telecommuting, (3), the work schedule was not relaxing, and (4) for me the bottom has not fallen out yet, and I plan to retire in a couple of weeks! :D Still, it was intriguing.

Only two weeks left!!! Have you cleaned out your office yet?

Only two weeks left!!! Have you cleaned out your office yet?

Absolutely. All the drawers, file cabinets, other cabinets and closet are empty, and the office supplies are piled up on the counter opposite my computer. I have transferred all of my computer files and paper files to the appropriate people. My work computer is pristine and ready for the next person. All my personal stuff is at home, and my few remaining work assignments are in my in-box.

I am using vacation time, but that will end on Wednesday and I will actually work for the last week and a half. Well, sort of! Mostly I will be doing my exit clearance, having my farewell party, and killing time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom