What were we thinking in February 2000?

GTM

Recycles dryer sheets
Remember when the NASDAQ was over 5000 and the talk about DOW going to 36000.

Who remembers why so many people thought these were practical situations?

Do you see a bubble occuring again whether in the market, real estate or the US and world economies?

A lot of people thought the world was flat and
that you could cure injuries by bleeding the patient. I see "bubbles" in my beer. The other bubbles I don't really
care about.

John Galt

Who remembers why so many people thought these were practical situations?

Do you see a bubble occuring again whether in the market, real estate or the US and world economies?

I remember very well. I was busily buying puts. But as usual, the market outlasted me, and when it finally broke I had very little remaining on the don't-pass line.

As to your question of how could people think that was a reasonable situation, just look around. People usually don't think, they feel. And what they feel is more or less what the people around them feel. So given a situation like the late 90s, where there were many plausible rationalizations for the run-away market, only a scrooge would demur.

I don't see a bubble in stocks today, in any major equity market. That bubble broke. But that doesn't mean that the bear has gone back into hibernation. In fact, I would be amazed if he has. The rule is usually that any bubble, once it breaks, goes back to or below trend. We are a long way above the long term trend still.

The first year of a presidential term is usually weaker than any other years in the cycle. This is particualrly true when valuations are high, as they are now. If the S&P is down in January 2005, look for a down year. And considering valuations, it could be a doozy. Looking down the road, if life proceeds according to established patterns, the next low risk opportunity to go long S&P type stocks should be in late fall of 2006.

If valuations then are normal or below normal, 2007 could be a barn burner.

Remember, you heard it first here. :)

Mikey

Yes, these seem to happen with regularity. Read some market history, even recent history. The "Tronics" bubble of the 60's or the "Nifty Fifty" of the 70's or the first computer boom of the 80's or ...
Try reading Devil Take the Hindmost. Or maybe "Adam Smith's" The Money Game for a first hand look at a previous bubble. (It's not that Adam Smith it was a pseudonym used by a financial insider of the 60's and 70's.)

What can you do about it? Keep a diversified portfolio and balance regularly. You'll slice off some of the boom money into your other asset classes. You won't get it all but you'll get some. Trying to "outsmart the herd" by guessing when it will end will more often than not be a losing proposition - sure some will "win" and those will be just about the only ones you hear from. Very few will regale you with the stories of how they lost a bundle.

I remember very well. I was retiring on March 1, 2000, when I turned 55 and I says to myself: "this market is really getting expensive, now is the time to move big chunks from stock to bond in IRAs and load up on these I Bonds that I've heard about".

Not stupid moves I think, but must admit what primarily pushed me to movement was being born 3/1/1945!

Fishing and duck hunting were over and I was single and 5 years younger, so I know what I was thinking :)

John Galt

In late feb to early march 2000 I was on a month-long vacation in the bahamas...my portfolio went up by about 75% in first three weeks without a single trade (I was trading a lot at the time).

I was thinking "this sure is nice, but it can't last"

By the time I went home all those paper gains were lost :)

I remember very well.  I was retiring on March 1, 2000, when I turned 55 and I says to myself: "this market is really getting expensive, now is the time to move big chunks from stock to bond in IRAs and load up on these I Bonds that I've heard about".

Not stupid moves I think, but must admit what primarily pushed me to movement was being born 3/1/1945!

Congratulations on your good sense, and to your parents for their excellent timing of your conception and birth.

I have a son who was getting wildly rich on employee options. Then he got married, and this prompted him to view his paper wealth as potential houses, cars, etc. So he exercised and sold most of the vested options, and missed the crash.

He is divorced now, and he jokes that his wife cost him plenty going out, but made him even more coming in!

Life goes in interesting ways sometimes.

Mikey

I was just starting to invest in 1999 and I was thinking two things:

- Damn! Missed out on the greatest bull market I am ever likely to see.

and

- All these people are nuts!

I was buying unloved non-tech stuff in 99 and 00. These were real companies that actually made cash money and paid (yawn) dividends. Still have 'em and they have been stellar performers.

Back
Top Bottom