what will happen Monday?

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am surprised no one has started a thread about the downgrade yet. So here is a short one: does the market fall off a cliff or is this news already factored in?

Equities have been looking for a reason to go down, so I suspect they'll use this to sell off.

I don't think the S&P downgrade was factored in, but I also don't see how it really matters (other than as an embarrassment). S&P is just one opinion in the market, and not an always reliable one. The broader market, on the other hand, judges us every day and it has voted for 2.56% treasury yields.

From a 'market plumbing' perspective it matters because plenty of institutions can only hold Aaa paper. I suspect risk committees will be hard at work to amend the rules to allow U.S. Treasuries despite the downgrade. Prudent firms have done this already.

The impact will be greater for the handful of companies and municipalities that also have Aaa ratings. It's pretty standard practice for the rating agencies to put a 'Sovereign Ceiling' on it ratings - meaning a company can't be rated higher than the country in which it is domiciled. So I'd expect S&P to come out with a list of downgrades triggered by nothing other than the U.S. downgrade. I don't think those entities will recieve the same waiver from risk committiees as U.S. Treasuries will.

Don't know. I think the market has known this was a possibility. Also think it was leaked as to it being a definite with an announcement on Friday night. My financial guy with Morgan Stanley...when asked this question last week by me...said he thought it wouldn't have much affect as it has been expected.
That said...I don't know that I agree with him. He also said...the DOW could go back to the 9500 level...as there is no manager that is going to put his clients thru another 2008/2009. So there could be selling. I moved some things to cash myself last week and have very little in actual stocks at this time. More of cash, fixed income and gold. I'd rather make money than watch it go down...and I have to sleep at night.
All said...overall I'm still down for the year. Not by much - only about 1.5% all due to the equities I was holding.
I read where the S&P might impose another notch down in 2 weeks...unless our government comes up with something out of that committee.
Still it is sort of silly that the credit rating agencies have any credibility...after what they did and how they rated those mortgage backed securities.

If there is a lot of selling...it will be because it will sink in ...that we are no where out of the woods. Fannie and Freddie need more money, large companies are laying off...etc.

I think that the downgrade is more or less priced in already. On July 14, S&P clearly stated what they needed to see to avoid a downgrade. As soon as the final congressional deal started to emerge last week-end, Bill Gross and others said that the deal was not comprehensive enough to stave a credit downgrade off (IIRC Gross said a credit downgrade was "unavoidable"). Rumors of a credit downgrade by S&P were also circulating all day yesterday on Wall Street. So I think it was no surprise to traders.

What will the market do on Monday? Who knows. Too many moving parts.

I am surprised no one has started a thread about the downgrade yet. So here is a short one: does the market fall off a cliff or is this news already factored in?
Nervous Nellys will sell at the open. Treasuries will decline somewhat which will on balance help stocks.

The market whips up/down and closes slightly off.

I am QUITE CERTAIN about all this. You should definitely trade on my advice.

Disclaimer: I got last week's action COMPLETELY wrong. Misplaced my crystal ball but found it in the car trunk. I do not think the heat hurt it any.

I sort of thought the market would drop further. But then I checked with my most reliable source of information, which actually was pretty hazy about what might happen.....

6978-albums71-picture509.jpg

Never mind Monday--

Chief strategists at 13 banks from Barclays Plc to UBS AG see the benchmark measure of American equity surging 17 percent through Dec. 31, the average estimate in a Bloomberg survey. Their projection that the index will reach 1,401 hasn’t budged in four weeks, while mounting concern U.S. growth is slowing drove the S&P 500 down 11 percent since July 22, including yesterday’s 4.8 percent tumble.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...her-profit.html?campaign_id=investing_related

I would guess it will sell off early, but will rebound. As already said, the down grade is not unexpected.

This thread is like many other recent threads in that it asks an unanswerable question. How would one possibly know if something is or is not factored in? It may depend largely on the emotional effect of weather conditions on Monday morning in NYC.

Ha

This thread is like many other recent threads in that it asks an unanswerable question. How would one possibly know if something is or is not factored in? It may depend largely on the emotional effect of weather conditions on Monday morning in NYC.

Ha
I think I may be one of the closest geographically to Wall St. Want me to hop on the Amtrak and go straighten everyone out? :rant:

;)

On a side note, I just found a three foot long Cottonmouth lounging by the front door inside my weekend house. Bad omen I guess.

I think I may be one of the closest geographically to Wall St. Want me to hop on the Amtrak and go straighten everyone out? :rant:

;)

Please do freebird. When you're done with Wall Street, hop the train to DC and kick some hiney there. You've got my vote baby.

What will happen Monday?

The sun will rise on me in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. It will be a good day. :cool:

I expect Monday to get off to a bad start as the DJIA futures are now down 282 points.

I was listening to the radio and they said that nowadays, because of instaneousness of technology (the internet, etc.) a drop such as the 500 point one happens quicker, like in a day instead of taking several in the past.

This can be both good and bad. A quick correction in a way is better than a prolonged drawn out decline. Off like a bandaid..painful but quick!

That said, Monday will probably be uneventul with no firm direction either way, just to keep us guessing :blush:

Back
Top Bottom