What's the opposite of Wheeeee? Whoooops?

I checked,my Wellesley today : about -$5,000 since I bought it a few weeks ago. Where are those on this forum who have always advised me to take more risks? :)

Right here.
Raise hand here too.

Prediction: you'll get nervous and sell, thus locking in a loss.
No, I bet he'll hold and learn.

Oby, you don't see it but the market value of your fixed income holdings has also declined. Because you intend to hold for a long period you're not checking the daily market value. I bet the Wellesley will be worth more than an equivalent amount of CDs 5 years from now.

I checked,my Wellesley today : about -$5,000 since I bought it a few weeks ago. Where are those on this forum who have always advised me to take more risks? :)

It's not a loss until you sell it, right? Check it again when you're about, oh, 60 and see how it looks then. :)

I stocked our Roth IRAs at yesterday's close. Had been planning to do that anyway, so it was a good buying opportunity.

I checked my Wellesley today : about -$5,000 since I bought it a few weeks ago. Where are those on this forum who have always advised me to take more risks? :)

I personally didn't advise you to do anything but you are aware that stock and bond prices fluctuate right? Wellesley is 35 % stocks and this is a time (2008 was another one) when both stocks and bonds go down although if you check, stocks more than bonds. If you are worried and loosing sleep about these little hiccups we have had lately the only thing I can say is sell to your sleeping point. In all probability a decade or two from now this won't even seem like a fart in the fabric of the universe but...

Seems like the market is about where it was in May. I remember being happy then.:)

Now the counterattack has begun. No guts no glory! :)

ega8na.jpg

Last edited:
"woof"

The downside of a larger portfolio is seeing daily losses that are measured in economy cars. I dropped 17k one day last week. That said, I am willing to allow my portfolio to grow to the point where the volatility is measured in luxury cars. One day. . .

Back
Top Bottom