Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2016, 05:15 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vacations and spending money are in my budget just like any other bill. I love to eat out, enjoyed it before I retired so I knew that had to be part of my monthly expenses.
I admit to loving expensive bags and footwear but it's not something I do often. I treated myself to a Channel bag 5 years ago for my 50th. That was it. So I don't stress about splurging on one every 7 or 8 years

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 05:15 PM   #22

I splurge somewhat on woodworking tools/supplies and photography stuff, and starting to splurge a little on exploration to get to photography hot spots. If spending is above budget, it's always in these areas.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 08-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We splurge on travel. Usually two overseas trips per year, two-three months per trip.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We splurge on travel. Usually two overseas trips per year, two-three months per trip.
So, you only splurge half the year, huh? Good for you!
Old 08-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #25

Our regular expenses that maybe include a week or 2 somewhere is just part of the 2/3's of our available SWR. This year with our Galapagos/Machu Picchu trip is the first year in 10 years of retirement that we spent all of our SWR.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
For me, it's one good trip a year. We travel fairly often anyway, but once a year, we go all out. Business class flying, the best food we can find and usually rent a house instead of staying in a hotel. I think with our next trip like this, we are going to get a chef for a few of the meals. It's definitely a splurge for me!
We try to eat out no more than once per week, and we sometimes eat at a medium price fern bar restaurant.
We never fly business class, and often will fly on economy airlines going to great places.
Our accommodations are never in expensive hotels, but we prefer B&Bs and sometimes AirBnB.com.

With what we save by living frugally 365 days a year is two or three great vacations--often overseas. One nice vacation is not enough for us.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to the farmers market tonight and splurged on a fancy grilled cheese sandwich with bacon on it followed by some maple crunch ice cream. Chased it down with a bottle of tap water from home. Life is too short to buy cheap ice cream and not enjoy a little bacon now and then! 🎉

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-26-2016, 06:24 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Having funds, separate from those funding my retirement, set aside for home repairs, car replacement, appliance replacement, etc along with allowing for on avg 60% of max OOP for health care each year, takes away a lot of the uncertainty on a year to year basis. Therefore, I do not feel I need the complexity of a separate fund for "splurges". Just splurge with whatever remains from the SWR each year. Having a cushion for modest splurging already built in (fairly frugal anyway most of my life except for spending no pets and some charitable giving) helps too, with such thnigs as eating out a bit more than I expected to. So far, 7 months into ER, this works fine for me.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

meant spending on pets....like the ingredients fro the homemade log roll I hope to entice my dog with dementia with later this evening as her appetite is waning.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Norlan Whisky Glasses

I saw a write up here on these glasses and just HAD to have them. I have been drinking my single malt in a glass I got from Glenlivet free that was octagon shaped and unusual.
These glasses intrigued me, so i bought two-one for me and one for my copilot (no-they are for AFTER flying ). They came packed in a cylinder, just like my scotch does, and they are beautiful!. My wife (who HATES scotch) thinks they are very unusual.
They were over $30 each, and for someone who gets glassware at the dollar store (although we have a cabinet full of Waterford glassware), they were a splurge.

Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I saw a write up here on these glasses and just HAD to have them. I have been drinking my single malt in a glass I got from Glenlivet free that was octagon shaped and unusual.
These glasses intrigued me, so i bought two-one for me and one for my copilot (no-they are for AFTER flying ). They came packed in a cylinder, just like my scotch does, and they are beautiful!. My wife (who HATES scotch) thinks they are very unusual.
They were over $30 each, and for someone who gets glassware at the dollar store (although we have a cabinet full of Waterford glassware), they were a splurge.
Glassware is weird. We have the mandatory Riedels, but the Zaltos Universal wine glass is amazing. Like drinking from an imaginary glass. I don't know that I can taste any difference (in fact, I'm happy with a plastic beer cup), but defer to our family's palate, DW. Revolting to be drinking from $60 glasses though--and I'm dam* careful when I do the dishes each night!
Old 08-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #32

My Norlans are on the way -
Old 08-27-2016, 07:28 AM   #33

I do a monthly accrual for "luxuries". It was originally done as means of making sure I didn't go off the rails and spend too much. What actually happens is that I underspend the budget just every year (probably helped by not telling Mrs Traineeinvestor about it), but I can't think of anything I want.

I really should loosen the purse strings a bit.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

We started ER with a chunk in a Vanguard money market fund within the IRA. We take $ from this for splurges as it doesn't deplete the dividend generating funds. Still a nice chunk after eight years of ER. RMDs start for DH in 3 years and may use that event to trigger a change in our splurge-funding strategy.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote