When was the last time the S&P500 grew over 30% in one year?

When were we ever certain we were out of the woods?
By looking back in history. Once you are, say 50% above a prior inflation adjusted peak, you can be pretty sure that even another bear market won't break the old high.

That seems a little silly. So if the stock market shot up 1000% tomorrow, and then dropped 80% back to only twice what it is today, would we be in a new secular bear market until the price was back above the all-time high?

It seems like we could just as easily say we are in a really, really, long-term secular bull market because we are way above the highs set in 1929. :)

Only if it recovers the previous inflation-adjusted all time high AND there is not another sell-off to take you back below it.

We finally met the first test just a few months ago. But, we could still easily have a correction to take us below that level in the near future, so we aren't out of the woods yet.

The S&P 500, Dow and Nasdaq Since Their 2000 Highs

Well, in the "new normal" they were talking about high unemployment and low growth. They weren't wrong about that part. They were talking about the economy, not about the stock market :).

Yes, but the pundits (eg Bill Gross, etc) back in 2009 translated that slow growth into much lower market returns going forward. At least he was right about the bond market:cool:.

That seems a little silly. So if the stock market shot up 1000% tomorrow, and then dropped 80% back to only twice what it is today, would we be in a new secular bear market until the price was back above the all-time high?

It seems like we could just as easily say we are in a really, really, long-term secular bull market because we are way above the highs set in 1929. :)
We're just talking about historical patterns, that there are long periods where the S&P500 gains faster than inflation and P/E expands, and other periods where it stalls and P/E shrinks.

The scenario you describe above hasn't happened yet. :)

I will, I will!!! :D But if you listen very closely, you might be able to sense, if not hear, a very secret, totally silent "Wheee!!!" echoing throughout the land for the next 19 hours or so, in anticipation....

:dance::dance:

OK, W2R, NOW you can let it rip! :dance:

Happy New Year!

OK, W2R, NOW you can let it rip! :dance:

Happy New Year!

Now? Now? NOW?

~~~~~ WHEEE!!!! ~~~~~ :dance::dance: Dow 16577!!!

Happy New Year! :clap:

Things are looking GOOD and just in time for the end of the year computations. :)

Last edited:
Looks like the S&P500 Total Return for 2013 is going to be:

32.39%!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

Because of bonds I only captured around 19% to 20% in 2013 :mad:

Stupid bonds.

Because of bonds I only captured around 19% to 20% in 2013 :mad:

Stupid bonds.
Most people did well less than 20% because they were positioned around 50/50 stocks/bonds. That's not a bad thing.

Most people did well less than 20% because they were positioned around 50/50 stocks/bonds. That's not a bad thing.

Agreed, but having a few hundred thousand in your 401K that returned a negative 0.8% for the year makes you feel like a sucker. Someone got to use my $200,000 a whole year and charged me 0.8% to do it!

Jan 2 - worst market drop since Nov 7.

Behold the power of W2R!

S&p 500

Attachments

• Price earnings.jpg
    Price earnings.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom