Where to put low risk money

I-bonds are paying 3.06%. Rate resets every 6 months, they have to be held 1 year, and if sold before 5 years the last 3 month's interest is withheld.

Limit of $10k/person/year.

I-Bonds are a good option for as long as real rates are 0% to negative (a situation that may persist for a while). The ability to get out of them at low or no cost when rates rise is super attractive too. The down side is the low investment limits, which makes them tough to use in any meaningful way.

clifp said:
At home in a fire proof safe. Only good news about the absurdly low rates is I don't stress about where to park my money anymore.

+1. It's nice that we don't have to worry about that these days. :)

[QUOTESo would I, but think we are closer to 2.5% CDs in an era of 6% inflation.][/QUOTE]

Isn't that the truth!!

We just got home from traveling to Florida. EVERY day we got gas, it was up. When we were coming home, it started going up again the first day. The second day it was down in NC, but when we got home it was up again.

We went shopping and the grocery bill was ridiculous. But I'm sure the price of gas is part of the blame for grocery prices.

Back
Top Bottom