Where to put my money if things get ugly in the United States

I'm hoping they (congress critters) screw around to the last minute.
Interest rates start to move, people and the markets freak out.
I'm gathering cash to buy blue light specials.
It might create a buying opportunity?
Looking for a bright side to this.
Steve

I'm hoping they (congress critters) screw around to the last minute. Interest rates start to move, people and the markets freak out.
It might create a buying opportunity? Looking for a bright side to this.
Steve

I'm sure they will. Then at the last minute they will pass some laws that are unpopular (maybe SS/Medicare cuts fit into that category). If/when their constituents object, the excuse will be that in doing so they averted the end of the world as we know it.

I don't want to see any cuts for retiree's.
Hope they are able to work things out without going there.
Heck, I don't even want the younger folks to have to work longer.
It sure would be nice if our country took care of SS before dumping money in all these other countries around the world.

I don't want to see any cuts for retiree's.
According to many, retirees are the major problem. Or perhaps they meant baby boomers.

You might like to read Thomas Friedman's column today in the NY Times "The Clash of Generations": http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/opinion/sunday/17friedman.html

As soon as the younger folks get a bit more politically organized, they are going to start to stiff the older folks who left them with all the bills.

As soon as the younger folks get a bit more politically organized, they are going to start to stiff the older folks who left them with all the bills.

Are you trying to pop my "Every things going to be Alright" bubble?:D

One point of Friedman's column was the happenings in Greece, Spain, Portugal, etc. The young folks have no jobs and have been put on austerity programs. Look at what Congress is trying to do right now. It is trying to put the young folks on austerity programs while letting the old folks keep spending away.

I'm putting all my money in China where it will be safe.

I'm feeling psychic and seeing a biig tongue in cheek.

I certainly hope it never happens, but a major economic collapse could cause anarchy similar to New Orleans after Katrina. The cops tooks off to protect their families. So I agree with those who discuss keeping some silver/gold coins around (secure but accessible), several firearms ( hanguns, shotguns, hunting rifle, assult rifle) and know how to use them - e.g. take some NRA training course if needed) for you and family. Food, water,(the most important) then things like toilet paper, fuel, basic medical kit....razor blases, loved that one. I can't stock all this stuff and don't have doomsday bunker...just a suburban towhnouise, Also some things like antibiotics for a med kit have a short life. So I stick with the gold/silver coins and firearms/ammo. Coins to to barter with and firearms for family group protection. My gold/silver is part of my portfolio (actually the best performing part over the last 10 years by far....wish I had bought alot more when 1oz. gold coins were $340 or so.

I'm new here, I'm sure lot's of people will disagree with much of my opinion. That's OK, I kind of balance minimizing expense for basic survival items should a level of anarchy materialize.

How much did all those gold coins, guns, and ammo help victims of Katrina?

How much did all those gold coins, guns, and ammo help victims of Katrina?

See post #16, this thread. Most (though not all) conventional "disaster preparations" were ineffective. What really helped was the qualities that Americans have traditionally valued a great deal. You will use all of your ingenuity, flexibility, adaptability, and imagination very effectively. Oh, and hard physical labor, too.

One gun and ammo was helpful for some. I do not like guns but I admit that my neighbor had them and sat in his carport with a shotgun casually laid across his lap all day long during those early days. That probably encouraged some looters to keep on walking. You can't eat gold.

Last edited:
If things really were to go bad, it's back to Y2K planning. MREs, guns and ammunition will be the currency of choice.
What do you mean "back to..."? :cool: We've been prepared for years for just about any situation.

Steve
As long as interest rates move higher and faster than inflation. I was hoping interest rates would start rising by the end of this year. It looks like that's just not going to happen.

See post #16, this thread. Most (though not all) conventional "disaster preparations" were ineffective. What really helped was the qualities that Americans have traditionally valued a great deal. You will use all of your ingenuity, flexibility, adaptability, and imagination very effectively. Oh, and hard physical labor, too.

One gun and ammo was helpful for some. I do not like guns but I admit that my neighbor had them and sat in his carport with a shotgun casually laid across his lap all day long during those early days. That probably encouraged some looters to keep on walking. You can't eat gold.

Very interesting on why guns can be such an effective deterrent. I think the prospect of many days of long hard physical labor is thing that is scariest to me about coping with a disaster. I have found that my tolerance for physical endurance and pain is pretty low. (This was true even when I was in decent physical shape). I tend to just give up earlier than most folks, but maybe adrenaline would kick in.

Eh - it's all sounding pretty much tinfoil cat like:

tin_foil.jpg

Stick to my Asset Allocation-Allocation-Allocation...that's my approach if things get ugly, if there is another war, or if there is irrational exuberance.

I know, boring..but at least I get a good nights sleep. :)

Looters aren't very smart. If I were the looter, I might say to myself "This guy must have something really valuable to protect." And, if I am in caveman mode, I might just bring my gun and pop him off from a distance and go see what he's got.

Steve

The problem with that is US debt can be down graded and will be when (I think it was someone from S&P on CNBC or Fox business today)they think we deserve it. So while we may not default we can be down graded and that would be very bad. It would effect so much that we really don't want that to happen.

Back
Top Bottom