Where to retire

Ah, someone would have to be somewhere they didn't need to be to be bit by a poisonous snake. They're more afraid of us than we are of them.

And Bronxites in the south? We've been fighting off Yankees for 150 years. Heck, all our relatives came from East Rutherford, NJ--in 1815. It'doesn't take very long to get their speech slowed down and calling everyone "Y'all" and answering to your new nickname, "Honey."

It's nice that our lower cost of living allows us to live well on savings/pensions, etc. and we don't have to work 2 part time jobs in retirement--like those in California. We can retire young and not have to work to age 75.

Well, I'm in Southeastern PA paying over $7k in property taxes.

In Alabama, you'd be in a 10,000 square foot house if you were paying $7K a year in property taxes. Since my wife is on SS Disability, we don't even have any property taxes on our main residence.

We downsized to 3500 square feet on 4 acres 10 years ago (from Atlanta), and our property taxes would be $600 a year if we were paying property taxes.

Side note: There's a gentleman here with a new 28,000 square foot house on a 2000 foot lake lot, a 2 acre fresh water swimming pool and a large tennis pavilion. His property taxes are $15K yearly on $5 million assessed value. He has a $25 million yacht without any ad valorem taxes, as boats are not taxed here.

As a former New Englander (NYC area) I can tell you what I've noticed about the south.

When did NYC or southern Pennsylvania (you mention in the OP that you've "had it with New England winters - even here in southern Pennsylvania gloomy gray skies for 3 months and 2 degrees - no thank you.") become part of New England? Yankees, yes--but New Englanders?

New England is a region of the Northeastern United States consisting of the six states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. New England is bordered by New York to the west, Long Island Sound to the south, the Atlantic Ocean and the Canadian province of New Brunswick to the east, and the Canadian province of Quebec to the north. New England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My aren't you literal - thanks and good point. Been in Penn for 9 years.. 51 years on LI, true guess that makes a Pennsylvanian but it is only 100 miles to NYC - weather is very much the same. Any yes technically NY isn't part of New England but when it's 2 degrees out, windy and it just snowed a foot and your standing on the platform waiting for the LIRR @ 6:55AM and you've done it for a 30 years you really don't care. True it's worse in NE.

LI is beautiful in the summer, but too much congestion, over priced housing, taxes..etc

Rephrase for the close reader and the interest of accuracy --"I'm tired of those NY and Pennsylvania northern mid Atlantic winters..."

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Ah, someone would have to be somewhere they didn't need to be to be bit by a poisonous snake. They're more afraid of us than we are of them.
Hold the phone there, Bamaman. Although the picture I posted isn't a picture of my neighbor, my neighbor's hand ended up looking a lot like that.

What happened was this. A nice little copperhead decided that the hollow under the dog bowl on the porch was a perfect place to coil up in. Imagine that: the coil of a small snake fits perfectly in the hollow of the underside of a dog bowl. Cool and moist too!

Neighbor went outside, picked up bowl. Finger protruded under bowl into coil right at copperhead's head. CHOMP!

Yes, the snake was afraid. But it turned out to just be bad luck on all sides.

So, be careful out there!

That said, Lyme disease scares the crap out of me so no way am I moving up to New York!

Last edited:
My aren't you literal - thanks and good point. Been in Penn for 9 years.. 51 years on LI, true guess that makes a Pennsylvanian but it is only 100 miles to NYC - weather is very much the same. Any yes technically NY isn't part of New England but when it's 2 degrees out, windy and it just snowed a foot and your standing on the platform waiting for the LIRR @ 6:55AM and you've done it for a 30 years you really don't care. True it's worse in NE.

LI is beautiful in the summer, but too much congestion, over priced housing, taxes..etc

Rephrase for the close reader and the interest of accuracy --"I'm tired of those NY and Pennsylvania northern mid Atlantic winters..."

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My New England relatives woild be happy to trade winters with you.

These debates break out regularly and are very entertaining...with no definitive conclusions.
One thing we can conclude is stereotypes abound, and can be found everywhere one looks.

We have BIG snakes in Texas.....then again, everything here is Big....so please don't relocate here.:LOL:

How well I know. My coworker quit his job because of the snakes we ran into while surveying the Addicks Reservoir northwest of Houston. Biggest snakes I've ever seen. I never had the desire to retire in Texas after that.

and we don't have to work 2 part time jobs in retirement--like those in California. We can retire young and not have to work to age 75.

Where do you GET this stuff?

We are retired in CA, and I guess you can say we each have at least 2 part-time jobs. DH cleans the pool and takes care of the yard and keeps me happy, and I tend to planting flowers and being personal assistant to 3 dogs.

I hope we both work at these jobs at least until 75.

How well I know. My coworker quit his job because of the snakes we ran into while surveying the Addicks Reservoir northwest of Houston. Biggest snakes I've ever seen. I never had the desire to retire in Texas after that.

those were probably cottonmouths - yeah stay away from those

gotta watch out for those on the golf course

not sure why anyone would want to retire in Houston (horrible weather, crime, traffic) unless they have grandkids there or something, like my parents for example

It's nice that our lower cost of living allows us to live well on savings/pensions, etc. and we don't have to work 2 part time jobs in retirement--like those in California.

Yes, that is too true. Most of the retired people here have to have two jobs, usually medical marijuana grower and surf instructor, in order to afford groceries. :)

When did NYC or southern Pennsylvania (you mention in the OP that you've "had it with New England winters - even here in southern Pennsylvania gloomy gray skies for 3 months and 2 degrees - no thank you.") become part of New England? Yankees, yes--but New Englanders?

As a born and raised "New Englander" from Connecticut I call people from NY and below and states like PA "easterners" if they live along the Atlantic coast or are east of the Mississippi River. That works all the way down to the Mason Dixon Line then they are "southerners" or "south easterners". It gets messy, but true New Englander's can handle it and know the difference. :D

When I lived in California for several years (North of LA), when CA "natives" would ask me where I was from, and I said, Connecticut, most did not know where that was. I remember one gal asking if it was in Europe. :rolleyes:

When I lived in California for several years (North of LA), when CA "natives" would ask me where I was from, and I said, Connecticut, most did not know where that was. I remember one gal asking if it was in Europe. :rolleyes:

:ROFLMAO: Hilarious!! She must have really been something. I can't imagine not knowing where the 50 states are.

On the other topic of part time jobs, I have to say that even here in New Orleans many retirees do seem to have or want a part time job, even though that is something I personally do not intend to do.

Probably the reason they are still working a little bit has nothing to do with the cost of living, since that is pretty low here. I am thinking that probably some people here just don't plan ahead for retirement adequately, because they are too busy diving into their own version of "laissez les bons temps rouler".

:dance:

Last edited:
As a born and raised "New Englander" from Connecticut I call people from NY and below and states like PA "easterners" if they live along the Atlantic coast or are east of the Mississippi River. That works all the way down to the Mason Dixon Line then they are "southerners" or "south easterners". It gets messy, but true New Englander's can handle it and know the difference. :D

Absolutely!
I was born and raised in (of all places) Brooklyn NY.
I remember once seeing a line in the New Yorker that summed it up well.
Anything west of the Hudson River is camping out.

Sometimes, part time work hardly feels like work at all. It just feels good. I work two days a week in northern California at the local community college horticulture dept. It's gratifying to mentor the students, who really need some guidance. It's all too easy to become a pot grower where we are, but if we can just get them on track to grow food instead! Or learn how to open your own nursery! As a certified plant nerd, this stuff is important to me. If you can find good part time "work" like this, I say, go for it, wherever you end up retiring!

Ever hear of the term "Valley Girl" ??:D

My DS lives in LA (was in SF before that) and is amazed at the number of people he has met who have no idea of geography outside of California. He's lived in NY, VA & MA.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My DS lives in LA (was in SF before that) and is amazed at the number of people he has met who have no idea of geography outside of California. He's lived in NY, VA & MA.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have family in western Massachusetts. On recent visits I found a surprising number of their friends (and, sad to say, even some of my own family) have no idea of geography outside of New England & NY state.

Ignorance and insularity are not unique to California.

Next generalization? :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom