Join Early Retirement Today

Which sector do you like?
Old 12-19-2004, 05:49 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Which sector do you like?

I know from reading the Four Pillars of Investing picking the next hot sector is not an easy thing to do.

If you were to invest in one particular sector of the stock market for 2005 which would you choose.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Which sector do you like?
Old 12-19-2004, 08:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't see any sure bets on the horizon, but there's a lot that looks like it has topped out. I would bet that 2005 won't be a good year for energy, real estate, and financials.

Healthcare got pretty beat up this year, which just makes me like it more.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

As a nasty market timer,i always buy my energy stuff in octoberish,quite often that is the best seasonal low of the year.This is something ive discovered from years of buying to early in the year.Of course since equities in general make a good octoberish yearly low,you could just use the shotgun approach during this time frame.I like health care too,despite the obvious legislative and regulatory risks.But theres something to be said for ETF's in this regard,since single issues could easily blow up(think MRK or PFE).Picking sectors is difficult,and i would suggest a seasonal allocation to market indice over trying to pick future high flyers.Your either on board from Halloween time frame or stand aside in my opinion.Next october will be another seasonal bargain time.Good luck--ak
Old 12-21-2004, 12:41 PM   #4

According to Schwab:

"Currently, Schwab is recommending that clients overweight telecommunications, health care and energy. Here is why we believe those three sectors are poised to outperform over the next three to 12 months -- and do not miss our handpicked investment ideas in the nearby boxes. "
Old 12-21-2004, 12:43 PM   #5

Just in case that you want more info:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...refid=P-463943
Old 12-21-2004, 05:51 PM   #6

They're guessing. So are we.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, yeah, Schwab.

The brokerage whose "F"-rated stocks turned in a better 2003 performance than their "A"-rated stocks. They probably made a ton of money anyway that year and could lower their fees... no, wait, that doesn't work either.

Schwab's 2004 numbers will be in soon. I wonder if it'll be as contrarian as 2003... and 2005?

I'll stick to small-cap value. Hey, waitaminnit, didn't Bernstein say something about that?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 05:26 AM   #8

All the "noise" I have heard from the financial guru's are that "Large Caps" is the way to go in 05, and small caps have run out of steam. But....what do they know.

Regards,
Bill