Which Vanguard or Fidelity Fund for Growth?

Cheesehead

Recycles dryer sheets
I've just retired at 63, my wife will retire in a few months at 59, and we have met with our Fidelity rep to help us run their calculator (which I have since become pro at) to run the numbers again. Naturally, he was selling us on their Advisory Services for 1.1%, but he did bring up a good point. He felt that about one third of our investable assets should be left untouched to grow and the cap gains, interest and dividend are automatically reinvested.

I wanted to sweep 3% off everything but it would probably be prudent to have one third stay and grow. However, I don't want to do the AA myself with just index funds, I can't stay on top of it. Does anyone have a suggestion or should I just default to Wellington or Wellesley? Are there funds specifically for growth?

I've been on their sites and there's a lot of balanced funds which don't seem to be pure growth. Thanks for your advice.

P.S. I am getting paranoid about the average duration of ones in the W's at 6.5 years with rising interest rates. Why do they do that? I'd prefer shorter durations for bonds, and that is making me skeptical about the venerable Ws.

Why not just create your own "W" with Fido's FSTVX & FSITX?

Lower ER than either W and still only two funds. Also gives you more control than a blended fund if it's in an after tax account.

Doesn't help with your bond duration worry though; FSITX is just a tad below 6 yrs.

Last edited:
How much you distribute vs how much you reinvest is going to depend on your income needs. You should think about a comfortable AA and then read up about withdrawal methods.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Withdrawal_methods#Asset_allocation_during_withdrawal

Lots of people use Wellesley for income and you could add some total stock market and international equity for growth. 50/50 Wellesley/Wellington would be a an easy couch potato portfolio, but not very diverse.

Back
Top Bottom