Which Would You Prefer?

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Plan A: you invested a sum in equities, and over the next four years your annual total returns were 20%, 5%, 15% and -20%.

Plan B: You buy a 4 year CD at 4% with annual compounding.

Which plan leaves you with more money at end of year 4?

Ha

And the question is?

I can't wait the hear the correct answer. :eek:

I'd need to know what P/E10 was at the end of year 3.

Cb

The first case leaves you with 1.16 times your original investment.

The second case leaves you with 1.17 times your original investment.

Interesting. I bet most people would choose the first one w/o doing the math

HaHa said:
Plan A: you invested a sum in equities, and over the next four years your annual total returns were 20%, 5%, 15% and -20%.

Plan B: You buy a 4 year CD at 4% with annual compounding.

Which plan leaves you with more money at end of year 4?

Ha

Mikey,

Knowing you I knew the answer was going to be CD's, because you dislike stocks currently. But, I worked the math and yes the CD's win by a buck or 2. :)

If I knew the stock market would do that and I'd cash out exactly in 4 years, I'd take the CD and triple my profits.

However, being only 29 I'm in for the long-haul I'd jam as much into equities.... that's why there's 0% bonds in my 401k.

Cut-Throat said:
Mikey,

Knowing you I knew the answer was going to be CD's, because you dislike stocks currently. But, I worked the math and yes the CD's win by a buck or 2. :)

C-T, good analysis, of me and the numbers. :)

Actually though, I was messing around with the concept of geometric mean (GEOMEAN in Excel). Although I vaguely understood it I recently got more interested because Dimson refers to it often.

It is kind of counterintuitive- those stock returns seem pretty good, but even a middling bad year hurts.

Ha

Damn, I KNEW I shoulda put everything in those Penfed 6.25% CDs !

HaHa said:
C-T, good analysis, of me and the numbers. :)

Actually though, I was messing around with the concept of geometric mean (GEOMEAN in Excel). Although I vaguely understood it I recently got more interested because Dimson refers to it often.

It is kind of counterintuitive- those stock returns seem pretty good, but even a middling bad year hurts.

Ha

That's why I think re-balancing plays an important role.

That's why I think re-balancing plays an important role.
it might indeed be worth noting that with these returns, if one split 50-50 and rebalanced at the end of each year, the return would exceed either of the two individual (buy and hold) alternatives.

In case 1, you're up 16% after 4 years.
In case 2, you're up 17% after 4 years.

So, the CD would have done better, in this case.

But chances of the market rebounding 20% in year 5 is really good!

Audrey

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I'd have sold after year #3. ;)

Me too! And save myself a few minutes of math.

Now, what do I have to do to know ahead of time how well my investment will do? And I'm not talking about yearly performance. I wan't the daily numbers. I'm projecting 100 to 200% return per year. :D

HaHa said:

Interesting exercise. For me the biggest message is if you are accepting volatility in return for long term rewards, make sure you hold long term.

I was kinda kidding, but honestly, if my investments popped up 40% in three years I'd get the heck outta there. Maybe buy some CD's...

audreyh1 said:
But chances of the market rebounding 20% in year 5 is really good!

But the market would need a 25% gain to rebound from a 20% loss....

Depending on the definition of total return, Plan A is the better deal for me and most investors.

As other's have mentioned, the total return after 4 years is

Plan A: 15.92%
Plan B: 16.98%

However, a key consideration is the tax liability. My marginal tax rate (federal and state) is 34.7% for ordinary income and interest and 22.9% for capital gains. Assuming that both investments are in taxable accounts and that the return from the equity portfolio is from capital gains (no distributions), if I sell after 4 years my after tax return is

Plan A: 12.27%
Plan B: 10.86%

I'm sticking with the equities in Plan A.

The trick question has a trick answer.

Shawn said:
Depending on the definition of total return, Plan A is the better deal for me and most investors.

As other's have mentioned, the total return after 4 years is

Plan A: 15.92%
Plan B: 16.98%

However, a key consideration is the tax liability. My marginal tax rate (federal and state) is 34.7% for ordinary income and interest and 22.9% for capital gains. Assuming that both investments are in taxable accounts and that the return from the equity portfolio is from capital gains (no distributions), if I sell after 4 years my after tax return is

Plan A: 12.27%
Plan B: 10.86%

I'm sticking with the equities in Plan A.

The trick question has a trick answer.

Yes, I thought of this also. But did not wish to complicate it, because tax rates vary by individual. But yes the stocks would probably do better after taxes.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I'd have sold after year #3. ;)

Given my investment history, I'd have sold the CDs in year 3 and bought equities.

Sam said:
Still better than the 4% CD.

Fine. If you're going to make the market go up 20% in year 5, then I bought a 7% 5-year CD. :)

HaHa said:
but even a middling bad year hurts.
If -20% is "middling bad" then I'd hate to see your definition of "painful".

Even in 2002 when one of our mutual funds was whomped -17% and two others were down 12%-14% (annualized, of course!), we still managed to limit the total damage to -2%.

So the example demonstrates that undiversified volatility can reduce overall returns...

Nords said:
If -20% is "middling bad" then I'd hate to see your definition of "painful".

Even in 2002 when one of our mutual funds was whomped -17% and two others were down 12%-14% (annualized, of course!), we still managed to limit the total damage to -2%.

So the example demonstrates that undiversified volatility can reduce overall returns...

This is exactly what I was thinking, Nords. I prefer Plan A with the equities and plan to hold for the very long term as Rich_in_Tampa mentioned. I got clobbered really bad in 2000 because I had too much stuff in tech. After that experience, I made sure to diversify across sectors, size (small vs. large cap), and countries (international). I may be crying into my handkerchief 1, 3 or 5 years from now. But hopefully, it will pay off 15 or 20 years down the road. I'm willing to take the risk. In the meantime, I can happily live off my pension and rental income while the equity portion hopefully grows through individual stock appreciation (tax free until sold), through stock dividends, and through mutual fund/ETF dividends & cap. gains that are reinvested. I realize some may not have a pension or other sources of income to rely on after retirement, so it is understandable that the more steady and less volatile Plan B might be preferable.

Toejam said:
But hopefully, it will pay off 15 or 20 years down the road. I'm willing to take the risk. In the meantime, I can happily live off my pension and rental income while the equity portion hopefully grows through individual stock appreciation (tax free until sold), through stock dividends, and through mutual fund/ETF dividends & cap. gains that are reinvested.

Your heirs will Love you! :)

Back
Top Bottom