Will obgyn65 meet his goal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OBGYN, it just dawned on me that last month I decided I had saved enough for retirement, could retire at the time, but also decided there was no reason for me to give up such a large paycheck each month if they were still willing to pay me. So I figured that starting the new year, I'd cease my fanatical savings rate of 80% and start spending some of that monthly income.

Well, I'll be damned. Here it is the 15th of the month and not only did I not do that, I completely forgot about my plan until now. Looking back over the last couple of weeks I've spent a grand total of $143 and saved thousands.

Back to my old habits.

My point is, I don't think there is much we can do about the way we are wired. So don't beat yourself up over it or let my and others attempts at humor bother you, and just keep doing what you've been doing since that is apparently the most natural for you.

I do like the kid idea, though. Can't think of a better way to focus all of those "need to do something for somebody" feelings than on one individual who will benefit their entire life.

Have you ever had children?

Last edited:
+1

I convinced DW that this year we should fly Business Class to Europe, but she came back with even better idea - take a slow boat instead a fast airplane, we are retired.

We just booked onto the Queen Elizabeth on the Cunard Line from New York to Southampton for $709 each, plus it is 8 days accomodation with all food and entertainment included. At that price I'm wondering if the porthole pictured in our cabin is really a hole through which the oar goes.

I mentioned this to my DW, thinking that this might be something we could eventually try. She nixed the idea because of the potential problem with sea sickness. I'd be curious to hear if the trip is smooth. I'm thinking it can't be that bad, since if it was, nobody would go. Or maybe that's why you got a good price? :)

I would be particularly leery if the cabin has two port holes, for his and her oars. As it is, it would be your DW's responsibility to man the single oar as she arranged the deal.

Thanks, I'll check that detail in the small print.

I mentioned this to my DW, thinking that this might be something we could eventually try. She nixed the idea because of the potential problem with sea sickness. I'd be curious to hear if the trip is smooth. I'm thinking it can't be that bad, since if it was, nobody would go. Or maybe that's why you got a good price? :)

It's a big cruise liner, but it is the N. Atlantic 1st week in April, so we plan on taking medication. I'll post the results of the trip.

I just recalled the following scene from the movie Ben Hur.

"Battle speed!"

"Attack speed!"

"Ramming speed!"

Ramming Speed! - YouTube

Last edited:
I just recalled the following scene from the movie Ben Hur.

"Battle speed!"

"Attack speed!"

"Ramming speed!"

If obgyn could be assured of a ride like this then I'm sure a lot of his guilty feelings about spending money on himself for travel will evaporate :)

Well, there is a good chance your trip will be at a leisurely "Cruising speed" for the entire week. There is no piracy in the Atlantic Ocean like in the Arabian Sea.

Bon voyage!

I agree with the others. If you're not comfortable spending the money then don't do it ! Do what you love. An extra mission trip perhaps ? I love the idea of adopting a child - that is a wonderful gift. Spend more time thinking about how you will leave your legacy. Maybe start purchasing vacant lots in the city and turn them into community gardens ? Or purchase land over time in the few remaining wild areas of the US and build a wildlife refuge ?

The goal is meaningless - the trip is priceless.

If you're having problems spending $50k beyond housing, food and other basic expenses, maybe work less to have less income and more time to spend?

What a problem to have though.

When I FIRE, I could imagine not spending the whole SWR, whatever it turns out to be, in some years.

Your point is well taken. Today I confided in a colleague of mine re: possible adoption. Her answer was something like "you are nuts ! you already touch the lives of thousands of children here and in third world countries ! why the hell do you want one kid here, there is so much more you can do for so many children everywhere! "

Nice encouragement ;-)

omni550 said:
You've even mentioned adopting a child. You may want to weigh this against your desire to travel doing medical mission work. Unless you plan to home school, a child needs to go to school which usually keeps them rooted in one place.

omni

Last edited:
$50k all included.

explanade said:
If you're having problems spending $50k beyond housing, food and other basic expenses, maybe work less to have less income and more time to spend?

Last edited:
+1

I convinced DW that this year we should fly Business Class to Europe, but she came back with even better idea - take a slow boat instead a fast airplane, we are retired.

We just booked onto the Queen Elizabeth on the Cunard Line from New York to Southampton for $709 each, plus it is 8 days accomodation with all food and entertainment included. At that price I'm wondering if the porthole pictured in our cabin is really a hole through which the oar goes.

Will you take the boat back as well or fly business class?

Will you take the boat back as well or fly business class?
We are sailing back on the Queen Mary in September. The cost there is $1,600 as it is a more luxurious liner plus it is a more popular time for a cruise.

$50k all included.

Oh then things like business class will eat up chunks of that budget but you can just take one or more overseas trips too.

Or stay at nicer accommodations and spend more on meals.

That indirectly helps people, helping to stimulate local economies.

Or just be more generous to charitable causes.

Having enough money to explore wider interest at a young age and without major responsibilities is a bit of dreamland.

Going into the dream...
A bucket list:
A one week motorcycle trip
Surfing... anywhere.
A two week (alone) walking tour of Peru
One week bike tour of Cuba (PM me for info)
Climb a Mountain
A week working "Habitat.."
A Classic Car tour
Three days in Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Boston
The Vineyard or Nantucket
White water rafting
Yosemite/Sonora/TwainHarte
Newport- Tall ship cruise
Sail Plane or Balloon Ride
Adirondak Chain of lakes, or Minn Boundry waters canoe trip canoe trip

Except for the Peru tour or the Cuba trip, These were all in my list of "extra" things I've enjoyed over the years. A long time lawyer friend (retired) has been doing solo (no guide) trips throughout South America, Europe, China, Japan, the Azores and many other stops along the way. His past 15 years have been spent, living with natives of these countries ... in their homes, and riding those busses loaded with animals through the moutains of Peru..., and living in poor homes in Scotland,
Russia etc... Instead of gong 1st cclass he pays his way with help and gifts to the communities he visits.
The Cuba thing is fantastic, and I'm very familiar with that. Just sad I can't go...

I just assumed that your thoughts of "spending" on yourself would be the bucket list... before it was too late to enjoy. A wonderful opportunity, that I'd never consider to be selfish. Life is too short.

As an adoptee I would say make sure you adopt a child because you truly want to love a child (wealth is helpful but not necessary :) ). It has to be a you need them as much as they need you scenario. That child will never love you because you adopted him, but will love you because you are his daddy.

Did that make sense? I have a terrible time explaining what being an adoptee feels like. You love your parents so deeply, to reduce the relationship to being a benefactor/beneficiary would be painful for the child.

I have failed to meet my goal in January. $2,500 spent only. Will do better next month.
obgyn65 said:
My goal is to spend $50,000 this year for personal expenses.

I have failed to meet my goal in January. $2,500 spent only. Will do better next month.
You still have one more day!!! Don't give up.

Go out to dinner tonight, breakfast, lunch and dinner tomorrow. Take friends. Buy expensive wine to go with the dinners. Eat dessert, too.

You can do it!!!!

Only here do we talk about trying to spend more $$$. :)

Good luck with February. I bet you can make up for January over the year.

Only here do we talk about trying to spend more $$$. :)

Good luck with February. I bet you can make up for January over the year.

If the girlfriend is still in the picture, remember Valentine's Day is coming up. And girls just love jewelry. :LOL:

I have a solution for you. At the end of the year, take the excess money you did not spend and purchase a single premium life insurance policy and create a beneficiary endowment to your favorite cause.

If the girlfriend is still in the picture, remember Valentine's Day is coming up. And girls just love jewelry. :LOL:

I guess he didn't take my advice of multiple, jewelry-loving girlfriends! ;)

-ERD50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom