Would you FIRE if you had Group Health Ins?

Would you FIRE if you had Group Health Ins offered to you today?

• Yes

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 20.0%

• Total voters
I didn't vote because I still have 14 years to FIRE. But, I will say that I am going to FIRE knowing that I will be LOSING my health benefits by jumping early. I'm saving extra to cover the cost...

I retired a year ago at age 55. This ER was only made possible because my employer pays most of the cost of health insurance for DW and me until I turn 65. We currently contribute $372 per month. If this ever comes to an end, one or both of us would have to go back to work.

Health insurance costs certainly pushed out my ER date since I will have to pick up the full amount myself. :( The hard part is knowing what that cost will be. If that cost went away tomorrow, I'd retire yesterday! :D

I'm nowhere near FIRE, but health insurance is one of my biggest worries.

According to the websites that I've read, I can't be turned down in NY, or charged money, because of some kind of anti-discrimation laws. So, that is nice. But still, it looks like it's going to be a TON of money to pay for myself.

I haven't fully looked into all the details, because it's so far ahead for me. It is a feverent wish of mine that, by the time it because important, our health care system will be in a better place.

Does the Lion walk around all day in fear of health insurance?

No, but the older Lion does walk around in fear of being eaten by the other lions and or cast out! :confused:

The lion also doesnt have a couple of mil in a vanguard account that he needs to live off of for the next 50 years.

Dont get me wrong...if I could take down zebras in my front yard I'd be a lot less concerned.

DW went to work for 5 years after 27 years of raising our family at the local school dist. as a sec.
The policy is that if you work for a minimum of 5 year you can keep the family plan for life and only pay 10%.
So we are paying about 1500 for the year which made ER very possible.

No wonder school taxes are what they are.

True dat.............

Back
Top Bottom