Would you move to get into a good credit union?(for a short time)

FANOFJESUS

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If you stayed in a motel for a week would that be enough time to get into a local credit union?

If you stayed in a motel for a week would that be enough time to get into a local credit union?

Why do you want to do this?

The credit union might object to a local motel as a permanent address. If you did record that as your permanent address for the credit union but not for any other purpose, you might be violating provisions of the Patriot Act.

What advantage does this credit union have that justifies paying a week in a motel?

Plenty of good CUs around and you can always join PENFED. Each CU has its own terms for joining, find ones you are interested in and check their requirements, some are not based on geographical location.

Some pay a lot higher interest. I did not know about violating provisions of the Patriot Act. I would hate to end up in jail over trying to get higher interest. Imagine trying to explain that to your cell mates.

Most of these rules have been relaxed or there are easy work arounds. Did you ask the specific CU about joining? Sometimes a member needs to sponser you and you most always need $5.

That is a great idea jayc the only problem is that it is a local credit union 1000 miles away. I don't know anyone in the town. They require you to live in the same county as the credit union. Many of the national ones are easy to get into but not the local ones.

Last edited:
That is a great idea jayc the only problem is that it is a local credit union 1000 miles away. I don't know anyone in the town.
Hang around a local bar and see if you can get a girlfriend in that town. Know how to slow dance?

Good idea haha but what are the odds she belongs to the right credit union. Maybe ask which women love credit unions before the dance.LOL

Would you move to get into a good credit union?(for a short time)

You have GOT to be kidding, or at least I hope so! :LOL: No, I wouldn't move to get into a good credit union. Internet banking might be a solution if your local banks and credit unions aren't paying much interest at the present moment.

I was thinking of only a short term move W2R maybe a few nights or a week but it looks like it against the law.

Surely there are decent CUs in St. Louis or that you could join from a distance?

I'm also a resident of the Gateway to the West. I'd second the nomination for PenFed -they have very good rates (mortgages as well as CDs), a great no-fee credit card (1.25% cash back on everything, 5% cash back on gas), and allow on-line access. Just cost $20 one-time to join the NFMA to qualify.

If you're really that hard-up for an extra 0.2% yield on CDs, there are other sources (like brokered CDs) that can help you squeeze a little more yield compared to what your bank or current T-Bills/Notes/Bonds are offering.

Back
Top Bottom