Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

edit <deleted., I didn't realize I was responding to a day old post - horse already left the barn....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
FYI Norway top tax rate is 48.6 for singles making more than $156K, dollars but it includes local taxes. Not significantly higher than somebody making that $175K and living in state with high income tax like CA or HI.
Contrary to the Norway man on the street, Wiki has the data here for average taxes for the country.
Here is someone else who thinks Norwegians pay about 50% of their income in taxes:
Quote:
The basic income tax rate is 28%, and in addition to that the VAT is 25% on everything you buy. So the overall tax rate is in the neighbourhood of 50% or a little less all things considered.

Remember that this includes free hospitals, pensions, free schools, free universities, a publicly funded sick insurance with no limits (if you do get sick and are unable to work anymore you will get a reasonable compensation the rest of your life.), a VERY good maternity leave system (one year paid leave when you get a child to be shared by the parents.) and other stuff.
Norway: some question about jobs & salary in norway, income tax rate, free hospitals

Old 04-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Here is someone else who thinks Norwegians pay about 50% of their income in taxes:

So we don't get anywhere near as much services from our taxes.... which are not that much different than Norway...

Just sayin....
Old 04-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #124
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I worked/retired for an international company, with HQ in Sweden, so I do have a background in benefits based upon foreign taxes in a social society.

While the Swedes paid a much higher total tax rate than me (based in the US), they also had a much higher "return" on those taxes paid.

For instance - I have a disabled (adult) child. One of the Swedes I worked with received a two week "respite care" camp every year, when her child was taken care of and the family could have a break, with a child with the same "challanges" that we have.

Do I/DW have this "bene" for the taxes that we paid during our wor*ing life? I don't think so.

If you are going to measure taxes paid, you must also measure "benefits given" in any scenario.

IOW, you are incorrect in your statement that we in the U.S. should just pay our taxes and be happy about it. There is no relationship to taxes paid vs. social benefits, IMHO in the US.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
IOW, you are incorrect in your statement that we in the U.S. should just pay our taxes and be happy about it. There is no relationship to taxes paid vs. social benefits, IMHO.
That's not exactly what I stated. And in the quote I gave above with the approximation for Norwegian tax, I was careful to include the brief characterization of what Norwegians get in health-related benefits for their tax money, which does seem to be a lot more than we get.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Yep, but we got to drive all over Iraq in tanks, fly over that country for over a decade, have all kinds of adventures in Afghanistan, drop bombs on Libya on several different occasions, drop bombs and shoot cruise missiles in Kosovo, travel under the seas all over the world for months at a time, etc. The Norwegians got to do none of that--they probably set up a field hospital somewhere and maybe handed out crackers. They are getting way less payoff for their tax dollars!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

samclem- That's the price you have to pay to be King of the Hill
Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #128
Full time employment: Posting here.

as a young worker (age 28), hell yeah i want a pension. i actually have one, which is 1.5%/year of the three years highest avg salaries, less my megacorp's generous contribution to the social security program. i also have a DC plan which matches $4 to every dollar contributed up to 8%. the way I see it, with SS being removed from the DB and my generous company contribution in DC plan, I sit a little better than FERS. would i trade it for the old pension plan the "old" guys i work with are getting. yes. but, i would rather have their deal, which is the sweetheart pension (not frozen) and the 8% DC match.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Considering that Congress includes a fair number of folks who make > 1 million a year, how many of them do you think would vote to give up 100% of their income to taxes. How many athletes, movie stars, and CEO would stay here if every dollar they earned went to the government?

FYI Norway top tax rate is 48.6 for singles making more than $156K, dollars but it includes local taxes. Not significantly higher than somebody making that $175K and living in state with high income tax like CA or HI.
Contrary to the Norway man on the street, Wiki has the data here for average taxes for the country.
Norway also has a 1.1% wealth tax on any individual for their worldwide assets (including any retirement assets) in excess of $77,000. Along with the 25% VAT I think in coming years this is what we can look forward to in the US.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #130
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Yep, but we got to drive all over Iraq in tanks, fly over that country for over a decade, have all kinds of adventures in Afghanistan, drop bombs on Libya on several different occasions, drop bombs and shoot cruise missiles in Kosovo, travel under the seas all over the world for months at a time, etc. The Norwegians got to do none of that--they probably set up a field hospital somewhere and maybe handed out crackers. They are getting way less payoff for their tax dollars!
Hmmmm, they went to Kosovo, dropped bombs and even got to sing about it.