Your 2013 Investment Return

bondi688

Full time employment: Posting here.
The stock market has a great run in 2013, with DJIA returned over 26% and the S&P 500 returned over 29%. How did you do this year? Mine did not come close to just putting everything in the bench marks because the fixed income portion pulled the returns down, but at around 18% in 2013, I'll take it any day. While no one can expect as lucrative a return year after year, I wish everyone another happy, safe and prosperous New Year.

Last edited:
Came in around 12%.. My AA for 2013 was 50/20/30... Will doing DCA to get to desired AA to 65/20/15 in 2014. I'm hoping for some corrections in 2014 for buying opportunities :)....

My 401(k) did 23%. DH's only gave us 11% with the limited investment options he has. He's retired, so we could roll it over somewhere else, but I sure do like the ERISA protection one gets with a 401(k) in the event of a lawsuit.

Quite a bit more than I had last year this time, which gives me a good cushion over my FI number. The percentage is not relevant to me at this stage

23.4% total return. Yippee!! Only spent divs of about 3.9% 100% Cdn equities. Last year about 14% certainly due for a drop or at least flattening out.

41.1% for us. Big boost from biotech this year.

We had a roughly 50/50 portfolio but pretty much barbell-shaped for most of the year. Heavy tilt to a high beta, small cap biotech stock on the equity side, and loads of CDs, i-bonds and cash on the fixed income side.

Return by asset class:
Cash 0%
CDs +4%
i-bonds +2%
Intermediate bonds -2%
Large value US equities +27%
Large int'l equities (including emerging markets) +14%
Biotech stock +89%
Precious metals -27% (ha-hum, but I only have a smidgen)

Last edited:
Looks like around 16.6% on a 53/47 equity/FI portfolio. I'll know better in a few days - still have some end of year distributions coming in.

Last edited:
The stock market has a great run in 2013, with DJIA returned over 26% and the S&P 500 returned over 29%. How did you do this year? Mine did not come close to just putting everything in the bench marks because the fixed income portion pulled the returns down, but at around 18% in 2013, I'll take it any day. While no one can expect as lucrative a return year after year, I wish everyone another happy, safe and prosperous New Year.
The S&P500 has returned 31.85% as of yesterday so it probably beat 32%. You have to include the dividends and look at total return.

Looks like its going to be a 32.39% total return for the S&P500 for 2013!

Last edited:
16.76% with a 55/45 allocation. I'm very content with it.

What? Nobody was invested in intermediate-term bonds and emerging markets this year? The bond index was down about 2% and the emerging markets index was down more than 5%.

What? Nobody was invested in intermediate-term bonds and emerging markets this year? The bond index was down about 2% and the emerging markets index was down more than 5%.
Sure I was - but only 37% in intermediate bond funds and those broke even for the year.

Last edited:
20.1% on a 65/35 allocation

19.1% according to Vanguard. Reduced a bit by the small amount I had in my savings account at the bank and my 2% return on my small HSA, but it still probably rounds up or down to 19%. 63/37 AA.

My total return from everything in 2013 was about 19.5%

My best return was in my trading account where I had a 41.5% gain even though I kept half of that account in cash for most of the year waiting for a big drop that never happened.

Worst account was a Roth in EM

You guys are awesome.;) I just don't have an appetite for a hefty equity allocation.

Not sure what my return is as there is a several day delay in the calculation at Fidelity at month end and I am too lazy to recap it all. I do know it will be in the single digits with a 30/70 AA.

Vanguard says 11% on the Roths. Not sure yet about my TSP but should be around 20% or so. I'll know shortly...

Just about all of my numbers are in, with the exception of my old 401k from Boeing, but that won't move by more than maybe $100. I'm up about 23.1% for the year.

Probably would have done better, except for a few factors.

1) Throughout the year, I started selling off a bit here and there as we hit new highs, and used the money to pay down the mortgage. On one hand, I knocked the mortgage balance down by about 1/4, but on the other hand, taking that money off the table kept it from making even more.

2) I took a bit of a hit with some REITs (NLY and AGNC) and a gold fund (GGN).

3) I've been dollar-cost-averaging into my 401k and Roth over the year, so that will bring the overall average down, as more recent investments haven't appreciated as much as those made earlier in the year.

So, I'm gonna say it. Weeeee!

Only one member is permitted to say that word . . . and she has been warned.

Probably ~ 12% haven't exactly calculated across accounts but 50% international (lots of EWX and VWO), 15% REIT and a fair bit of cash hurt (No bonds) :-(

Back
Top Bottom