Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you a 2009 retiree?
Yes, I will retire or have already retired in 2009 23 16.31%
No, I retired in a previous year 59 41.84%
No, I will retire after 2009 55 39.01%
Other 4 2.84%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2009, 12:35 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 2 months in to my retirement as of today. The end for me was an anticlimax. I had planned on w*rking another 2 or 3 years, but they kept on ramping up the BS. Finally in April, I'd had enough. I turned to my DW and told her I'd like to retire. She jumped on board without a second thought. I probably wouldn't have done it if I hadn't spent so much time here in stealth mode learning from you all that I could do it.

So thanks to everyone who posts here. You all inspire me.

I LOVE my new freedom!
LoftyNotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted "Other." I retired from the full-time federal job in 2008 with everything in place to be completely retired. I have no boss (except DW ), no clock, no bullshit. So, I think of myself as retired. But, I've been generously padding the nest writing reports via the internet.

So, I guess I'm not really retired even if I feel like I am.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm going out at the end of the year. My last day will be 12/31. I am hording my vacation time because I get a nice big wad of cash for it. I've got some comp time I'm burning and I get credit hours to help me get thru the year. I might only have a single full 5 day week left in my career. I will be eligible by mid Sept so I am within a half month of emancipation. And yes, I am excited.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
...I can't imagine the emotions a person feels when turning in their badge on the last day. But I will find out in 72 days.
I'll give you a hint...

No harm in getting your exit checklist going sooner. I've seen people leave it til the last day and that was a real mistake. I did mine over 3 days, at my speed, not theirs.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #45

I officially retired from DoD in March 03, but got kicked out of the house after 30 days and told to do something productive . Since then I've been consulting back to the government and am about 1.3 years past when I thought I would be really retired. The pay habit is hard to break - just when you think you can escape, you get pulled back in again.

But I think 2009 will be my last full year of work and then maybe several months in 2010. I keep getting these retention bonuses with 3 month commitments attached and I'm hoping my company gets tired of this game. No matter what anyone else says, it's scary to contemplate living on what you have with no salary replenishment. Even a pension doesn't drive away those feeling as 401K matches, bonuses and profit sharing disappear forever.

My DW has fully retired - she does not miss the chaos of the start of school this year - and her motto (plagiarized from elsewhere) is:

I didn't do anything yesterday and I'm going to have to try again today as I didn't finish.

Sounds good to me .
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by restonham View Post
No matter what anyone else says, it's scary to contemplate living on what you have with no salary replenishment. Even a pension doesn't drive away those feeling as 401K matches, bonuses and profit sharing disappear forever.
Remember that a serious illness or death of a close friend can drive away those fears in a nanosecond... Then you will be asking yourself "Why didn't I do this sooner?"
Old 09-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by restonham View Post
My DW has fully retired - she does not miss the chaos of the start of school this year - and her motto (plagiarized from elsewhere) is:

I didn't do anything yesterday and I'm going to have to try again today as I didn't finish.

Sounds good to me .
I LOVE that motto!! I hope that ER can be just like that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I LOVE that motto!! I hope that ER can be just like that.
It can - I have the indentations in my recliner to prove it.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I gave my official notice a year before my retirement date, they finally brought in my replacement several months later. I trained him for a short period of time, and was told by my boss to go get lost, and to let the guy figure out the rest on his own.
In 2007, I gave 60 days notice. My boss (who I liked and respected) asked my to stay 90 so that he could hire a replacement and I could train etc. At ~ day 70 of meg-corp BS, he managed to hire someone. I thought he was an excellent choice. He was internal and had, however, previously booked vacation at his start date, so I stayed an extra 30 days to 'train' one day. On the bright side, I thought that once I'd pulled the plug, my annual stock option grant would be history. By staying the extra month, lo and behold, I have what is currently worth about 1 year's salary. Whooda thunkit.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #50
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Thanks! Yes, I am really happy but a bundle of nerves as well. I am sure I will calm down once I start taking my vacation time and it sinks in that I am really on my way to ER.

I can't imagine the emotions a person feels when turning in their badge on the last day. But I will find out in 72 days.
In my case, very low key. Went in at 8AM, signed papers, got picture for retirement badge, and left.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #51

I am really happy for your retirement Want2retire. You have been talking about it for such a long time, that I am excited for you. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
In my case, very low key. Went in at 8AM, signed papers, got picture for retirement badge, and left.
Khan? You actually had to get a badge, to retire?

Isn't that the whole point...I'm retired, and I don't need no steeennkin' badges!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Khan? You actually had to get a badge, to retire?

Isn't that the whole point...I'm retired, and I don't need no steeennkin' badges!
Federal employees USED to get retirement badges, which allowed you to take advantage of any discounts you might be able to find or any retiree privileges. Now, although I think DOD provides them and probably a few other agencies, most don't. So, I won't get one. I'd like to have one!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #54

Quote:
Federal employees USED to get retirement badges, which allowed you to take advantage of any discounts you might be able to find or any retiree privileges. Now, although I think DOD provides them and probably a few other agencies, most don't. So, I won't get one. I'd like to have one!!
My Union had a similar deal. Upon my retirement, they gave me "Retired Member in Good Standing" card so I could continue to get certain discounts & benefits.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Me too for 2010.
Getting paid through April.
Winding down work schedule, whatever that means to the boss.
Oversee the transition from golf course and canoe.
My replacement hired and trained.
My replacement's replacement to start work soon.
theloneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Me too for 2010.
Getting paid through April.
Winding down work schedule, whatever that means to the boss.
Oversee the transition from golf course and canoe.
My replacement hired and trained.
My replacement's replacement to start work soon.
you won't be lone for soon ranger...
heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #57
Confused about dryer sheets

Going 10/31. My last day will be Oct 1st as I have time to use up. Only working tomorrow and sept 28th this month. Its an odd feeling, I will need time to get all this out of my head.
19kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #58

Sept 30 will be my last day---officially retired Oct 1!! I only have 8 working days left. I have taken off every Friday for the last month to use up leave days that I couldn't get paid for. When it hit me that I had worked my last Friday, I was talking with a friend and I think that she thought she would have to slap me to get the smile off my face.

Seriously though I do feelings that run from very happy to slightly apprehensive about taking this step. Mostly though--very happy and glad to be part of the ER class of 2009.

I have been training my probable replacement---a smart, enthusiastic young man so I feel that I am leaving things in good shape.

I am looking forward to this next phase in my life. It will be a big change after 33 years of working.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote