Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sarah, maybe I'm missing something with the credit card schemes. Does one get a better deal taking the points in airlines miles versus taking the points in cash and then buying the ticket? I've been doing the later.

I would think taking the CC points in miles also forces one to use a particular airline. Not always optimal.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

We play the credit card/miles game also. Read thepointsguy.com - lots of great info there. We are going to Spain in March, from Boston. The cheapest we could find was 850, but after working miles on AA for a few days we finally got two RT tickets BOS-PHI-MAD for 126 total, 100K miles (for both tickets). On two of the legs we are not together, but we are experienced travelers so OK with it.

The best play I ever made was when I was working and had to do a tour throughout Asia. My company made me fly United (hate them) and I knew I would never fly them again. So I added up the miles I would earn on this trip, and as I got on planes I collected all the CC offers from various airlines/banks. I applied when I got back and we ended up with two RT tickets to Europe. ;-) I canceled the cards after I met the requirements to keep the miles.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

The airfares have really gotten bad to Europe. We used to pick up flights to Europe for $400 in winter so would go over for 4 or 5 days. Now the cheapest we find is $700 or so, and usually more than $800, even off season.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #64

Lsbcal, for Barclays, you can use the points for paying for tickets, I wanna say it was a statement credit for $400 the last time I got the Arrival card.

But for the others, it is very easy to use the miles and choose whatever carrier you prefer. I am agnostic in this regard, though I will say it has been very hard in the past to find decent award tickets for Delta. United is an easy one, as is American.

Also, Southwest has a good deal for those who qualify for business and personal cards, where you can get 100k bonus miles and a free companion pass. We did that about year ago, though didn't get to use it but three times, just because we were flying outside the USA more.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Sarah for the reply.

We do not fly all that much. Planning a trip to Europe in late August. The recommendation on the Rick Steves site was to use Swiss Air to get a nonstop flight to Zurich. For us those 11 hour flghts are no fun so we'd like to maximize the probability of a good economy class experience. So using cash rather then points is more convenient for us.

We do have a Chase Sapphire card and that $400 bonus was nice. So far I've just held on to the card and not tried other offers. Maybe the Chase Ink card is a possible replacement but I'm not all that anxious to go through the process of applying, getting a security freeze lifted, and canceling another card with some links to autopay accounts.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Interesting that flight prices are up with fuel prices down. Maybe with the Euro drop airlines expect a lot more travelers from the US to Europe?
Old 01-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
The airfares have really gotten bad to Europe. We used to pick up flights to Europe for $400 in winter so would go over for 4 or 5 days. Now the cheapest we find is $700 or so, and usually more than $800, even off season.

About five years ago I got a winter RT fare from the west coast to London for $530. Most of the fare was taxes and fees.

But, today it's 800+, assuming I am willing to spend at least twice as many hours in transit compared to the non stop flights. Not so good.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Planes are packed.

There has been consolidation in the industry and airlines have cut flights, to remove capacity.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:17 PM   #69

I don't know where you're coming up with $800 airfares, unless it's from large NE cities to London.

Summer, 2015 fares are often north of $1,500 unless you're flying NorwegianAir or a very few budget air carriers. Even Winter airfares (through March 27th) have been at an all time high.

They say fuel prices are dropping, but airlines have booked their 2014 jet fuel on the commodities at last year's prices.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, the packed planes are an issue. If your flight is canceled, it can take days to get on another flight. Since we are in Boston, it's our biggest fear in terms of weather. We used to fly out of Providence RI a bit but it is risky - there are much fewer flights there and if there is a mechanical issue or delay you are out of luck. So we drive into Boston for the safety.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Not a flight to Europe but an example of why I no longer have a desire to travel by air anywhere:

Quote:
Hundreds of air travelers landed in San Francisco, safe but irritated after a 28-hour overseas flight they say included 12 hours on a tarmac in the Middle East without food or accurate flight information.
Passengers Complain of 12-Hour Wait on Tarmac - ABC News

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #72

WE flew Norwegian Air in Oct & the planes were new & very nice. Since we were going to Poland we did need to transfer planes but it saved us $400 so was worth it. It did cost us some time so if you are on a tight time schedule then not worth it.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I don't know where you're coming up with $800 airfares, unless it's from large NE cities to London.

Summer, 2015 fares are often north of $1,500 unless you're flying NorwegianAir or a very few budget air carriers. Even Winter airfares (through March 27th) have been at an all time high.

They say fuel prices are dropping, but airlines have booked their 2014 jet fuel on the commodities at last year's prices.
I would have loved to see 800, but kayak kept telling me the cheapest was north of $1,300.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a pointer for airfare to Europe for ~$200 each way. Norwegian air only services 5 US cities, but if you're flexible, it's a bargain.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:53 AM   #75

Much of the country can use a budget air carrier to get to the five NorwegianAir gateway cities and still come out ahead.

I can get to Orlando for $97 each way on Southwest Airlines.

You just have to be open go into Oslo or Copenhagen or places in Scandinavia to get to your intended destination. There again, I've really been wanting to visit Stockholm and Helsinki.

Once in Europe, you can fly between great cities on European budget air carriers for around $100 each leg. It sure beats taking trains between cities.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:25 AM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sarah in SC mentioned the Southwest Airlines companion pass. Ours just expired, and it is by far the best deal for domestic air travelers.

Considering that you can usually travel on SW for just a fraction of the miles of a legacy airline, and that the process of collecting a Companion Pass gives you 110,000 miles, you shouldn't be paying anything for SW flights, other than the fees.

I'm still working for the MAN, so we only used the Companion Pass 6 times or so in 2013 and 2014, but it saved us well over $1000, not to mention the other free flights for our kids. Too bad they stopped flying to Key West...that was a fun vacation.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Much of the country can use a budget air carrier to get to the five NorwegianAir gateway cities and still come out ahead.

I can get to Orlando for $97 each way on Southwest Airlines.

You just have to be open go into Oslo or Copenhagen or places in Scandinavia to get to your intended destination. There again, I've really been wanting to visit Stockholm and Helsinki.

Once in Europe, you can fly between great cities on European budget air carriers for around $100 each leg. It sure beats taking trains between cities.
I have checked these disruptive airlines and they do have good airfares. If I lived in or near a city served by them, I would certainly use them. Alas, many of us don't and thus have to figure in the extra costs of flying to a gateway city, flying from Oslo (or where ever) to our actual destination, perhaps an extra night's hotel stay and the probable loss of one or two vacation days to the travel ordeal.

OTOH, if I had a family of four (and everybody got along well), the above sacrifices might be worth the savings. But, for one or two.... maybe not.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #78

I've been looking at Norwegian and WowAir. Prices are very good on Norwegian but I've read really BAD reviews about how uncomfortable their seats are. From reading the reviews, it sounds like they lightened the plain by removing padding in the seats. It also sounds like you could do some serious back injury on a long haul flight.

Has anyone flown Norwegian? I love their prices - but don't want to start off a trip with a husband who through his back out on the plane. Are the reviews overly negative?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Norwegian fees

Optional services and charges - Norwegian
Old 01-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #80

I think Norwegian's flying brand new Boeing 787's, the newest planes in the air.

Before this airline was allowed to expand to the U.S., our Federal government required them to hire more North American based flight crews. They'd been flying with crews out of Singapore, and the Feds wanted to make sure their pilots were trained equal to U.S. and Western European pilot standards.

Tags
2015 airfare.