Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looking forward to Timeless.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Say what

How do you access those prime time shows? Also, what channels are recorded? Do you need internet access to view them? (I do not have internet on my DVR)....

EDIT...

OK... now I see... have to have the Hopper.... I did not upgrade as it cost more per month to have it... but, are the recording on your DVR Do they clutter up the recording list or is there another?
With the Hopper you have a single icon on the same screen as your recorded DVR shows called Prime Time Anytime which is functionally a folder of all shows on ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox between 8-11pm on M-F. That is the default but you can customize it to include or exclude certain networks, hours or days. Some, but not all, of these recorded shows have a little red kangaroo on their icon the day after a show has aired. if you select such a show to watch you get a choice to watch it with auto-hop or not. If you chose auto-hop then you see the first and last 5 or so seconds of each commercial break but it automatically skips the rest. For those where auto-hop isn't available I just hit the 30 second forward button a number of times until the show is on again.

That 30 second forward button is real handy for speed watching football games. If you hit the 30 second forward button when the ball is down, more often than not it advances to just before the next snap... not always... if there is a flag or challenge then all bets are off.

We have four tvs and a central DVR that services our main tv and then all other tvs can access the DVR and use auto-hop but the equipment alone is ~$40/month for the 4 tvs. So with $20 for programming (Smart Pack) and tax our bill is ~$64/month.

With this system we can record up to 5 shows at a time, but Prime Time Anytime is only considered one of the 5.

We can also access our programming and DVR while traveling using Dish Anywhere.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I watched This is Us on NBC and was impressed. I don't know if I will continue to be, but the pilot was excellent.

We mostly watch police and detective shows, particularly British. We are enjoying the new season on Longmire on Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Just watched the second show and I am not as impressed... probably will drop this one... but will see the next show to decide as it is not a stinker...
Old 09-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just watched the second show and I am not as impressed... probably will drop this one... but will see the next show to decide as it is not a stinker...

I plan to watch it tomorrow. I recorded it. I usually don't stay long term with emotional, heart tugging shows, so I'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-28-2016, 11:44 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Not much decent sci-fi on TV in forever, sadly.
Stranger Things on Netflix is pretty good.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Not much decent sci-fi on TV in forever, sadly.
Sadly, I agree for the most part, although The Expanse is pretty good (Season 2 starts in Jan). And if you include zombies as SF, there's always the Walking Dead. I liked Stranger Things too. But that genre seems to have been filled up recently by comic book hero series, which would be OK if they were any good. But they mostly aren't.

I actually haven't watched any new shows yet. TV has lost it's appeal for some reason. I used to watch a lot when the weather turned bad, but since we snow bird now that doesn't happen much. So I'll keep an eye on this thread and if there is any consensus on good shows maybe I'll check it out on demand or something.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Sadly, I agree for the most part, although The Expanse is pretty good (Season 2 starts in Jan). And if you include zombies as SF, there's always the Walking Dead. I liked Stranger Things too. But that genre seems to have been filled up recently by comic book hero series, which would be OK if they were any good. But they mostly aren't.

I actually haven't watched any new shows yet. TV has lost it's appeal for some reason. I used to watch a lot when the weather turned bad, but since we snow bird now that doesn't happen much. So I'll keep an eye on this thread and if there is any consensus on good shows maybe I'll check it out on demand or something.
Well, the new HBO series Westworld is definitely sci-fi, with kind of a futuristic AI-robots theme. Also, the FX series The Strain would be considered sci-fi. It's worth checking out if you like anything "vampires" or "zombie apocalypse", stuff like that. I've been watching it regularly since the premiere a few years ago.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #48

Quote:
Sadly, I agree for the most part, although The Expanse is pretty good (Season 2 starts in Jan).
Dark Matter is also 'pretty good' At least in the sense it grows on you and the second season is better than the first. It has been renewed for two more.

Dark Matter - IMDb
Dark Matter (TV Series 2015– ) - IMDb
Old 10-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

So, it's been a few weeks. Any keepers out there in the new shows? MacGyver bites, Timeless is interesting, I'm just watching the first episode of Bull now, but I suspect Michael Weatherby is going to regret leaving NCIS. Other than that I haven't really seen any of them. What's making the cut for you?
Old 10-22-2016, 06:32 PM   #50

PBS stuff...

Poldark. As Time Goes By reruns. Wolf Hall rerun.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #51

Quote:
So, it's been a few weeks. Any keepers out there in the new shows? MacGyver bites, Timeless is interesting, I'm just watching the first episode of Bull now, but I suspect Michael Weatherby is going to regret leaving NCIS. Other than that I haven't really seen any of them. What's making the cut for you?
Bull is the 5th highest rated new show after the first 4 weeks in the 18-49 demo and #1 in overall viewers by a large margin. Weatherly is worth $15M so he can take on a new role and be more creative and have a nice change. Looks like the show will be a financial success and he will make a good amount of money. Not sure why he would regret leaving NCIS?
Old 10-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #52

Designated Survivor still has my interest.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Bull is the 5th highest rated new show after the first 4 weeks in the 18-49 demo and #1 in overall viewers by a large margin. Weatherly is worth $15M so he can take on a new role and be more creative and have a nice change. Looks like the show will be a financial success and he will make a good amount of money. Not sure why he would regret leaving NCIS?
Well, I didn't know all that stuff. I just watched the show and was unimpressed. I guess he doesn't have to regret leaving NCIS anyway, since he's getting a fair amount of cash from the syndication of the show. I hope he does well and is successful as someone other than Tony DiNozzo. I just don't think the show is very good.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #54

Designated Survivor and The Good Place for me. I like Bull and Timeless ok but I have a couple still queued up on DVR that I'm in no hurry to see.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
PBS stuff...

Poldark. As Time Goes By reruns. Wolf Hall rerun.
Yep. Pretty much.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:32 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

If you have Amazon Prime....Goliath is a good one staring Billy Bob Thornton. It's a new Amazon original and consists of 8 episodes.

Goliath (TV Series 2016– ) - IMDb
Old 10-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
If you have Amazon Prime....Goliath is a good one staring Billy Bob Thornton. It's a new Amazon original and consists of 8 episodes.

Goliath (TV Series 2016– ) - IMDb
I am very much enjoying this. We are 3 episodes in and am not looking forward to the end of the season.

Also enjoy "The Good Place", it reminds me of the ABC show "Pushing Daisies" that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:42 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agree, though I am liking Bull. So far, Designated Survivor is the best show of the season for me.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Tuesday night's line-up of Bull, bookended by NCIS a and b, is about as good as broadcast TV gets, which isn't saying much.

Also like Madame Secretary, if only for Tea Leoni...

Mostly, if I watch at all, it's PBS. I do miss cable, if only for Through the Wormhole, but I don't miss the $150/mo TV bill...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #60

DW and I are enjoying The Good Place. Honestly, I haven't sampled any of the other new Fall shows.