2016 Fall TV

We don't have cable/satellite/rabbit ears, so don't watch TV, per se, but we do borrow vids from the library.......currently watching Elementary which we are thoroughly enjoying.....no idea of the year(s) it was aired though.

I don't have these things either, but I watch TV shows online via TV network websites (although I have to watch within on one week, or they get locked up...)

Last edited:
Elementary is still on - the new season starts later in October, I believe.

Of the new shows: I watched The Good Place, and liked it so far; I'll keep watching.

We have Designated Survivor and MacGyver on DVR; we'll get to them eventually.

I watched Bull, and may try one more...but not overly impressed.

There weren't too many new shows that interested me. I thought about Timeless but opted not to DVR it. Same with This is Us.

I'll be watching the second seasons of Blindspot and Quantico, though.

I watched This is Us on NBC and was impressed. I don't know if I will continue to be, but the pilot was excellent.

We mostly watch police and detective shows, particularly British. We are enjoying the new season on Longmire on Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I watched This is Us on NBC and was impressed. I don't know if I will continue to be, but the pilot was excellent.

This Is Us is one of the shows I expected to not make my cut but it was better than expected. I will watch for at least a couple more weeks and maybe all season.

I watched This is Us on NBC and was impressed. I don't know if I will continue to be, but the pilot was excellent. ...

+1

Designated Survivor was good too.

Jury is out on MacGyver and Bull. The trailers on Timeless look good.

Dish automatically records all prime time shows and keeps them for a week.

Last edited:
We watched MacGyver last night. DH, who is a HUGE fan of the original MacGyver, had this assessment: "awful writing, mediocre acting".

We'll likely record this week's episode to give it one more chance, but that might be it.

I've got "Life in Pieces" in my DVR list. Normally I wouldn't pick a sitcom, but my brother stars in it (Tim). It started last year and my bro was jazzed when it got renewed for a second season! No longer follows "Big Bang Theory", though, so we'll see how it fares this year.
I've heard that The Good Place starring Kristin Bell and Ted Danson is pretty funny, in a dark humor sort of way. I'll give it a chance, although I really don't watch that much TV unless the show has zombies or spaceships.
Not much decent sci-fi on TV in forever, sadly.

PBS - Poldark. Victoria.

Just streamed "Churchill's Secret" from the website.
Poldark is a good period piece. The first Poldark of this season was a good one. We're filling the 'period piece' gap with some old "Mercy Street" episodes that were recorded a long while back. It's not very good...sub-par writing and acting, but we're powering through it if there's nothing else.

Looking forward to the 3rd and final season of The Fall, coming to Netflix next month. One of the best shows I've discovered in the last few years.

Also quite interested in checking out Westworld on HBO. Very interesting premise (futuristic, Old West-themed, adults-only, sci-fi "amusement park" where anything goes) which could hook me if done well. It's been awhile since an HBO series really captivated me beyond a few episodes, so I'm kinda rooting for this one.

Oh I love "Life in Pieces"! That was one of my favorites last year. How cool for your brother to have a hit show.

For this year, so far I like "The Good Place". I was also surprised to like "Pitch".

I thought "This is Us" was good, but the whole lead up about making it some mystical connection between these people having the same birthday and then a "twist" to explain it at the end of the first episode was pretty silly.

DH is watching "Designated Survivor" and says he'll keep it on his recording list. I couldn't even make it through the first episode of "MacGyver", so that one's already gone.

I've got "Life in Pieces" in my DVR list. Normally I wouldn't pick a sitcom, but my brother stars in it (Tim). It started last year and my bro was jazzed when it got renewed for a second season! ....

We caught one and only episode in a rerun this summer, where Tim is in charge of his tween's birthday slumber party. He was my favorite character! We'll watch more just for him.

I enjoyed "Kevin Can Wait" which debuted this week. It is silly with a lot of slapstick and one-liners.

+1

Designated Survivor was good too.

Jury is out on MacGyver and Bull. The trailers on Timeless look good.

Dish automatically records all prime time shows and keeps them for a week.

Say what:confused:

How do you access those prime time shows? Also, what channels are recorded? Do you need internet access to view them? (I do not have internet on my DVR)....

EDIT...

OK... now I see... have to have the Hopper.... I did not upgrade as it cost more per month to have it... but, are the recording on your DVR:confused: Do they clutter up the recording list or is there another?

Last edited:
Say what:confused:

How do you access those prime time shows? Also, what channels are recorded? Do you need internet access to view them? (I do not have internet on my DVR)....

EDIT...

OK... now I see... have to have the Hopper.... I did not upgrade as it cost more per month to have it... but, are the recording on your DVR:confused: Do they clutter up the recording list or is there another?

With the Hopper you have a single icon on the same screen as your recorded DVR shows called Prime Time Anytime which is functionally a folder of all shows on ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox between 8-11pm on M-F. That is the default but you can customize it to include or exclude certain networks, hours or days. Some, but not all, of these recorded shows have a little red kangaroo on their icon the day after a show has aired. if you select such a show to watch you get a choice to watch it with auto-hop or not. If you chose auto-hop then you see the first and last 5 or so seconds of each commercial break but it automatically skips the rest. For those where auto-hop isn't available I just hit the 30 second forward button a number of times until the show is on again.

That 30 second forward button is real handy for speed watching football games. If you hit the 30 second forward button when the ball is down, more often than not it advances to just before the next snap... not always... if there is a flag or challenge then all bets are off.

We have four tvs and a central DVR that services our main tv and then all other tvs can access the DVR and use auto-hop but the equipment alone is ~$40/month for the 4 tvs. So with $20 for programming (Smart Pack) and tax our bill is ~$64/month.

With this system we can record up to 5 shows at a time, but Prime Time Anytime is only considered one of the 5.

We can also access our programming and DVR while traveling using Dish Anywhere.

We mostly watch police and detective shows, particularly British. We are enjoying the new season on Longmire on Netflix.

Just watched the second show and I am not as impressed... probably will drop this one... but will see the next show to decide as it is not a stinker...

Just watched the second show and I am not as impressed... probably will drop this one... but will see the next show to decide as it is not a stinker...

I plan to watch it tomorrow. I recorded it. I usually don't stay long term with emotional, heart tugging shows, so I'll see.

Not much decent sci-fi on TV in forever, sadly.

Sadly, I agree for the most part, although The Expanse is pretty good (Season 2 starts in Jan). And if you include zombies as SF, there's always the Walking Dead. I liked Stranger Things too. But that genre seems to have been filled up recently by comic book hero series, which would be OK if they were any good. But they mostly aren't.

I actually haven't watched any new shows yet. TV has lost it's appeal for some reason. I used to watch a lot when the weather turned bad, but since we snow bird now that doesn't happen much. So I'll keep an eye on this thread and if there is any consensus on good shows maybe I'll check it out on demand or something.

Sadly, I agree for the most part, although The Expanse is pretty good (Season 2 starts in Jan). And if you include zombies as SF, there's always the Walking Dead. I liked Stranger Things too. But that genre seems to have been filled up recently by comic book hero series, which would be OK if they were any good. But they mostly aren't.

I actually haven't watched any new shows yet. TV has lost it's appeal for some reason. I used to watch a lot when the weather turned bad, but since we snow bird now that doesn't happen much. So I'll keep an eye on this thread and if there is any consensus on good shows maybe I'll check it out on demand or something.

Well, the new HBO series Westworld is definitely sci-fi, with kind of a futuristic AI-robots theme. Also, the FX series The Strain would be considered sci-fi. It's worth checking out if you like anything "vampires" or "zombie apocalypse", stuff like that. I've been watching it regularly since the premiere a few years ago.

So, it's been a few weeks. Any keepers out there in the new shows? MacGyver bites, Timeless is interesting, I'm just watching the first episode of Bull now, but I suspect Michael Weatherby is going to regret leaving NCIS. Other than that I haven't really seen any of them. What's making the cut for you?

PBS stuff...

Poldark. As Time Goes By reruns. Wolf Hall rerun.

Back
Top Bottom