4 Year FIRE Anniversary

House Divided

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi All,

Today is my 4 year FIRE anniversary! I don’t know if would have taken the leap without this forum. I don’t post a lot but I do read the posts often. So I thought I would give an update on my retirement experience. Well I am now 58, and I still haven’t run out of anything to do like some folks said I would DW has a never ending to do list (LOL) and trips to the beach and lake, along with grandkids are keeping us busy. My overall portfolio is down 6% over that 4 year period, but that was self inflicted. I purchased several things over that period that was not budgeted for: Beach Property, RV, Fishing Boat, SUV, and late last year undeveloped Lake Lot, which I am in the process of clearing and excavating to build a cabin on (I plan on doing the plumbing, electric, HVAC and finishing the inside myself). And so far all of it is paid for. I rerun Firecalc every year and it still says 100% success rate for 37 years. I was worried about health insurance when I retired which was before Obamacare and I was paying 950/m for cobra and then 1100/m for private health insurance but since Obamacare my premiums have averaged 500/m and I haven’t had any issues with the insurance yet. But I don’t know what will happen when/if GOP wins election, that will change Health Ins again, I hope for the better? I still budget 1000/m for Health Ins and I put the difference in a savings account just incase premiums go back up at some point in the future. I have been able to reduce my yearly budget by 3000 since I retired and my SWR is about 3.6%. So overall the first 4 years have been great!

Nice update, House Divided.

I'm only 1.5 years into my retirement - so I'm still discovering the impacts of more time/more toys on the budget. Your adventure building your lake house sounds fun and interesting.

Like you, I gained confidence and courage by reading here before pulling the plug.

< moderator hat on >
None of us know how/when/if politics will impact health insurance so it's best not to speculate (here at ER.org) about that until/unless there is something tangible. Part of the charm of ER.org is the avoidance of partisan political sniping that seems to invade so many other forums. < / moderator hat on >

In April we will be semi-retired for 4 years also. 8 months into full retirement we both started to consult p.t. in our fields because we didn't have enough to do although most weeks we only work about 10 hours/week. Life has never been better!

Eight months into retirement (did I ever work?) and just now finishing up having done everything on this BH post regarding the ten key "retirement red zone" years in retirement (five before, five after).

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=183420&newpost=2788677&start=50#p2786486

"This" close to completing my estate plan (after having worked on it for a solid month) as well as critical documents disaster emergency planning and all will be done! :)

Nice update, House Divided. This forum also helped me take the plunge, and I'm oh so glad I didn't wait a day longer.

Congratulations! It is always great to hear from other ERs.

It has been just over four years for us. Best thing I ever did.

Not spending much on toys. We downsized big time in favour of extensive travel. Spending less than we thought on living, more on travel but on budget overall. Portfolio is in good shape. Looking back, we were able to unload our home at a good price prior to the decline in housing prices where we live.

The big plus. Our health has never been better. No stress, back to our target weights, and eating much better.

Back
Top Bottom