5 Year Anniversary.....

Goonie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Today is the 5 year anniversary of my "official" retirement date! However, this past Wednesday was the anniversary of the day I got fed up with my incompetent boss, tossed my keys on his desk, and walked out the door for the last time!!!

It's hard to believe that it's already been 5 full years of retired bliss! And I still have absolutely NO regrets about my decision to retire early!!! Life is GREAT.....and I'm enjoying every single minute of it!!!!

8)

Happy anniversary :flowers:

Happy Anniversary! Good for you. I am glad that you don't regret it and you always sound like you are having a great time!

Goonie, I can hardly believe it was five years ago! Your descriptions of your retirement were so wonderful to read about at that time. They really gave me hope that eventually I, too, would experience the endless days of play that you described.... and now I have! :D

Congratulations! :dance::clap:

Congratulations Goonie! 5 years in and I hope you continue to enjoy every day.

Congrats. My 5th was on 3/31 and it didn't cross my mind. I must be getting used to this gig or too old to remember anything. At least I can still find my way to the bathroom. ;)

Congrats! You are living the dream. Tell your boss to shove it and start enjoying life. How many people dream about that?

Congrats Gooonie! Mine is coming up in November of this year. Didn't realize it until you started this thread. Amazing isn't it? I still have a few friends working so I'm reminded how lucky I am occasionally just by listening to their work related issues. They are all younger with kids. Usually in their 40s.

Congrats. DH is looking forward to joining you. He likes his boss, but is fed up with the changes in the company in recent years. Thank goodness that we planned for FIRE.

Congratulations!

Any wisdom to share? Lessons learned, adjustments made, unexpected joys, concerns...

We're getting close to completing our 4th year.

Last edited:
walkinwood said:
Congratulations!

Any wisdom to share? Lessons learned, adjustments made, unexpected joys, concerns...

We're getting close to completing our 4th year.

Let's see..... If I had it to do all over again.....I'd definitely do it over again! Exactly the same way!!!

In the past five years, I've forgotten the purpose behind the alarm clock. I mean, who in their right mind would want to have some contraption sitting right next to their bed that's going to make all sorts of racket while they're trying to sleep?! That's just crazy!!!

I eat breakfast EVERY morning! Back during my employed years, I almost NEVER ate breakfast. Heck, I would have had to gotten up even earlier than O-Dark-30 to pull that off!!!

I'm totally unaware of what time sunrise is. However, I assume that it still happens sometime in the early morning, since it's ALWAYS light out when I crawl outta bed!

I've learned to NEVER, EVER go shopping anywhere, for anything on weekends!!! If ya forgot to get something at the store before about 3:00 p.m. on Friday, FORGET IT!!!! Live without it! Improvise if you have to! But do NOT go to a store to get whatever it was you forgot! You'll get stampeded by those still in the w*rkforce.....AND their heathen children!!!

Same deal with most restaurants. Stay home and eat on weekends!!! Even if you have to eat breakfast cereal for dinner. And even if you have to eat it dry 'cause ya forgot to buy milk before 3:00 p.m. Friday!

If you want to travel.....then travel!!! Go wherever your little heart desires!!! Don't just plan out your destination, but plan out your journey as well!!! Get off the beaten path! Take the scenic route! If you see something along the way that looks or sounds intriguing, STOP & CHECK IT OUT!!! Why pass-up an opportunity:confused: You are NOT on a week long vacation from w*rk, you're retired!!! Your travel schedule can be adjusted. Your hotel reservations can be adjusted. Just relax and have fun!!!

They say (whoever "they" are) that it's good to have a daily routine. I use to disagree with that crazy talk, until I realized one day that I had actually developed a daily routine. YIKES!!! No, really I'm OK with it now! Really, I am!!! My daily routine? EVERY day, I get out of bed! EVERY night (well actually about 2:00 a.m.) I go to bed! That's my daily 'grind'. In between those routine things, EVERY day is different!!! I just go with the flow!!!

Seriously though, I'm EXTREMELY content with my life in retirement!!! No complaints, no concerns, no scary monsters under the ol' retirement bed that I had to (or have to) worry about. Finances are all in good shape, though I wish interest rates on CDs would go back up some! My health has improved since retiring....less stress, better eating habits, better sleep habits, and those sorts of things have helped tremendously!!! My b/p is always right around 110/70. My blood work results always come back with everything looking good and being where it's supposed to be.

So all in all.....Life is GREAT!!!!

Heading to Little Rock to turn in paperwork with Arkansas Retired Teacher System and Arkansas Public Employees Retirement System, then to Employee Benefits Division to line out insurance, then to 403b guy to square things away for the first few years of retirement.

It's gonna be a big day. :)

Add me to the 5'er list a/o May 1st...

Let's just say that I can't believe that life would turn out to be this good - many, many years ago... :dance:

Heck, I retired back in 2003, went back to work, retired again in 2007, and went back to work yet again. What sort of list does that entitle me to be on. If I can get to where Goonie is, I'll then consider myself retired:D.

Anyway, congrats Goonie on a major retirement milestone.

Inspiring story, Goonie!!
As Aussie friends would say- Good on ya, Mate!!!!

Back
Top Bottom