6 Stages of Retirement

I refuse to have my retirement staged. It is for real!

Interesting outlook, but seems rather simplistic. I can imagine the oldest kid being 1st retiree from a big family of workaholics could miss Stage 2 entirely & launch directly into a guilt-trip fueled prolonged Stage 3. OTOH- The youngest kid could quickly be having much happier times in Stages 2 & 5 being surrounded by well-adjusted retiree siblings. I'll be most ER's are somewhere in the middle.

In my case- +1 to Is99. Less than 3mo since I left FT w#rk & cannot see myself fitting into any single Stage. Only thing I can say is I'm NOT in Stage 6 :)

Last edited:
About to enter year 5 of stage 2 :)

Since I count on my hands, rather than my fingers, I figure I'm destined to be perpetually at stage 2.

I don't plan to "permanently exit the workforce," so I guess I'm in the denial stage.

I think if you do a good, introspective job of retirement planning, you will minimize the "disappointment or uncertainty" he describes in the Disenchantment phase. I do think that's a reality for a lot of people and an underlying reason a lot of people avoid retiring (fear of that).

I am still in Stage 2 now. I recently entered my fifth year of retirement, and I am loving it! Each day it just seems like such a mind-blowing miracle that I can do what I want, and that I don't have to go to school or work or answer to anybody at all. I am FREE. I do have a retirement routine, as in step 5, but establishing that didn't pull me out of the honeymoon phase. I like having a routine! It's MY routine, and if I ever discover that it doesn't please me I can change it.

+1

Combination of stage 2 and stage 5. Planning to skip 3 & 4, hoping to skip 6. Party 'til I drop!

Definitely a unique experience based on individual personality and traits. Many leaders struggle with lose of identity of being in the mix so to speak. I was in charge of over 100 people. I do not miss being a leader, being in charge, or being in the mix of things. I have become virtually invisible and thoroughly enjoy it.

I have been managing about 50 people for some time. Outside of work, I sometimes catch myself acting like a leader that nobody asked me to :blush:.

I have been in stage 1 for a short period and still have a lot of things to work out, including learning how to avoid stage 3.

OMG, tell us which community you retire to so I can avoid it - can't stand those retired guys and gals who tell everybody else what to do and how to act, usually in a loud, attention-getting voice. :D (hopefully that's not you!)

Amethyst

. Outside of work, I sometimes catch myself acting like a leader that nobody asked me to :blush:.

Number 3 is real for some people. I think both of my parents went through it and I did too but in all three cases, IT DIDN"T LAST LONG! My husband skipped it all together and zoomed from stage 2 to stage 5 immediately. My stage 3 was somewhat related to the weather - when it's too hot or cold to do a lot outside, sometimes I think I might as well be at w*rk but then I get over it. It also helped me to get through stage 3 by hearing those still w*rking fuss about j*b stresses. Still helps me! My stage 3 was also related to finances. My DH and I retired at 51 and 53 and we took an oath of poverty until 2014 when DH draws social security. Whoohoo!

Last edited:
I have been managing about 50 people for some time. Outside of work, I sometimes catch myself acting like a leader that nobody asked me to :blush:.

I have been in stage 1 for a short period and still have a lot of things to work out, including learning how to avoid stage 3.

Haha! My husband was in management too. For a while after we retired, when we would do a project together, he treated me like an employee. Come to think of it, he still does that once in a while. But he was a good manager.

OMG, tell us which community you retire to so I can avoid it - can't stand those retired guys and gals who tell everybody else what to do and how to act, usually in a loud, attention-getting voice. :D (hopefully that's not you!)

Amethyst
Thanks... that's a wake up call...
I wonder if I've been doing that... If so, am going to change. It shoud be, "what I do", and not "what you should do".

The main reason I never bid on a management job at my agency is that I never wanted to be responsible for anyone other than myself. Also, I felt the management pay scale was not commensurate with the additional responsibilities and aggravation that come with these jobs.

If I were retired now, I would be in a state of sheer bliss at the thought of not having to struggle into the office on the cold, dark, snowy mornings that lie ahead. We don't get that many of them here in southwestern PA but I dread them nevertheless.

After 52 days in stage 2, I have no expectations of moving on to stage 3 any time soon (or at all). It helps that I started my retirement with a full list of things to do.

I signed up for a little very part time consultancy as part of my exit arrangement so I would have a transitional period rather than go cold turkey but have already concluded that I don't need it.

Life is good.:D

I have been managing about 50 people for some time. Outside of work, I sometimes catch myself acting like a leader that nobody asked me to :blush:. I have been in stage 1 for a short period and still have a lot of things to work out, including learning how to avoid stage 3.

Hey, it's ok Rob, we still have to have a few people around like you to get anything done. Can't have everybody hiding in the weeds like I am doing now. :)

Stayed stuck in stage 1 and now am 3 weeks in Stage 2 and LOVING it!

Amethyst

Not in a loud voice but often in a voice/tone that I know what I am talking about (most of the times, my DW tells me I don't :LOL:). Taking charge is habit forming (for men in particular) and can annoy others.

You put 3 well trained megacorp managers in a room and nothing gets done b/c they will spend the entire hour talking over each other :D.

Back to OT - I have to unwind my management ways and focus on "self." I believe it will reduce my stage 3 period.

I plan to take DW to the Grand Cayman Island foe three weeks shortly after I retire. That should be a good transition time! Ha! Especially if the weather at home is minus 30 below zero when we are snorkeling all day off the beach in front of our rented condo!

Definitely stage 2, four months post ER. :) Hope to stay here a long time! My wife is starting to tell people that she doesn't think I will ever go back to work. And she knows me better than I do sometimes. :LOL:

I'll call myself stage 1.5: I am not really planning any longer; but, I have not pulled the plug yet. If the number of years spent getting to stage 2 (assuming I ever make it) is any indication, I would be very lucky to live long enough to move past that.

According to these stages, I have passed through 3 (introspection), I am completing 4 (reorientation). As of March 2014, I will begin 5 (new routine). That is when I get off of the @#$#@!@#@ neighborhood HOA. (I got snookered in a moment of weakness.)

Word of advice to all new FIRE's, learn to say NO!

For some people, adjusting to retirement is not an easy experience. Following the honeymoon period or a time of continued rest and relaxation, there may be a period of disappointment or uncertainty. A person may miss the feelings of productivity they experienced when working. Disenchantment with retirement can also occur if there is a significant disruption in the retirement experience, such as the death of a spouse or an undesired move.
In fairness, the article does expressly concede that retirement is an individualized process and that not everyone will necessarily experience all of the stages.

I doubt that many would deny that death of a spouse, or an unexpected move, would be demoralizing. Whether the negative effects would be significantly exacerbated by retirement is an open question.

I'd replace stage 3 with "Introspection" and stage 4 as "Re-prioritization/refining of retirement goals". But if stage 1 was done well, stages 3 and 4 might not be necessary.
Good points.

Back
Top Bottom