6 Stages of Retirement

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
According to study by Robert Atchley, there are 6 or 7 stages of retirement.. I found some interesting info in Kathy's Retirement Blog .

here's a LINK to a better description of the 'possible' stages in his study..

They are:
1. Pre-retirement planning
2. Honeymoon, relaxation period
3.  Disillusionment
4. Reorientation
5. Retirement Routine
6. Termination of retirement, old age

I'm in stage one, with stage 2 arriving promptly on 1/1/2014.. what stage are you in? any advice so the soon-to-be free?

Last edited:
Stage 1 now, stage 2 starts on 1/2/14. Hope to skip stage 3, and thus the need for stage 4.

It took me a couple of years after quitting work to get past stage 1. At that pace, I'll never make it past stage 2.

I think we need a new approach. :)

I'd replace stage 3 with "Introspection" and stage 4 as "Re-prioritization/refining of retirement goals". But if stage 1 was done well, stages 3 and 4 might not be necessary.

Last edited:
Stage 2 has lasted for 12 years now, and shows no sign of ending. :dance:

According to study by Robert Atchley, there are 6 or 7 stages of retirement. They are:
1. Pre-retirement planning
2. Honeymoon, relaxation period
3. Disillusionment
4. Reorientation
5. Retirement Routine
6. Termination of retirement, old age
As one of the few here for whom retirement is mostly :D but not TOTAL :dance: nirvana, the list seems kinda overly negative - the article puts it in better perspective IMO. Disillusionment and reorientation have been very mild in my case, but they're ongoing (not distinct stages), and that's what I expect as I hope I never fall into a routine in life. Change is a welcome part of the journey. Not looking forward to stage 6, watching my 91 yo parents go through it now...

YMMV

As one of the few here for whom retirement is mostly :D but not TOTAL :dance: nirvana, the list seems kinda overly negative - the article puts it in better perspective IMO. Disillusionment and reorientation have been very mild in my case, but they're ongoing (not distinct stages), and that's what I expect as I hope I never fall into a routine in life. Change is a welcome part of the journey. Not looking forward to stage 6, watching my 91 yo parents go through it now...

YMMV

I agree that the names of his stages seemed very sterile or clinical, thus negative.. I like the suggestion that Introspection makes more sense than Disillusionment, but I'm still in stage one so I'll wait and see... hope to skip that one and go straight to 'Golf Pro'...

According to study by Robert Atchley, there are 6 or 7 stages of retirement.. I found some interesting info in Kathy's Retirement Blog . They are: 1. Pre-retirement planning 2. Honeymoon, relaxation period 3. Disillusionment 4. Reorientation 5. Retirement Routine 6. Termination of retirement, old age I'm in stage one, with stage 2 arriving promptly on 1/1/2014.. what stage are you in? any advice so the soon-to-be free?

Based on these stages I went from 1 to a combo 2/5 skipping 3 and 4. I love my daily routines mixed in with occasional travel 4-5 times a year. I would rather go back to work which I won't do, than enter "reorientation". I have absolutely no interest in developing new skills or interests. It has taking me almost 30 years of adult life to learn my routines and I am not about to change them now.

My retirement stages goes to 11. That's where I am at. Full blast!

here's a link to a little more narrative directly from the study... better descriptions of the stages and statements that they vary from person to person

Robert Atchley Study

here's a link to a little more narrative directly from the study... better descriptions of the stages and statements that they vary from person to person

Robert Atchley Study

I wonder what'd be the percentage of retirees who go through noticeable stage 3. I am pretty sure that I will go through stage 3 at some point (I am looking DW as I type this :D). I still get antsy after a week of vacation, e.g..

Phase 3: Disenchantment

For some people, adjusting to retirement is not an easy experience. Following the honeymoon period or a time of continued rest and relaxation, there may be a period of disappointment or uncertainty. A person may miss the feelings of productivity they experienced when working. Disenchantment with retirement can also occur if there is a significant disruption in the retirement experience, such as the death of a spouse or an undesired move.

My retirement stages goes to 11. That's where I am at. Full blast!
spinaltap_eleven.jpg

Robert Atchley Study

That study says "Retirement is a stage of life that could, for some, last anywhere from 5 to as many as 20 years." Gawd, I'm hoping for at least 30 and I've planned my finances for 40+ years (age 95).

I've been in the honeymoon stage for a few months, hoping I get into a routine within the next year without much disenchantment.

I wonder what'd be the percentage of retirees who go through noticeable stage 3. I am pretty sure that I will go through stage 3 at some point (I am looking DW as I type this :D). I still get antsy after a week of vacation, e.g.. Phase 3: Disenchantment For some people, adjusting to retirement is not an easy experience. Following the honeymoon period or a time of continued rest and relaxation, there may be a period of disappointment or uncertainty. A person may miss the feelings of productivity they experienced when working. Disenchantment with retirement can also occur if there is a significant disruption in the retirement experience, such as the death of a spouse or an undesired move.

Definitely a unique experience based on individual personality and traits. Many leaders struggle with lose of identity of being in the mix so to speak. I was in charge of over 100 people. I do not miss being a leader, being in charge, or being in the mix of things. I have become virtually invisible and thoroughly enjoy it.

I'm at 1.71, DW at 1. I have stage 2 during the 5 days a week that I'm not working, and stage 1 during the 2 days I work. Those 5 days off are honeymoon/relaxation, the other 2 not so much.

I was in Stage 2 for 3 days (went to the beach for the first 3 w*rkdays after ER) and skipped right to Stage 5 (back for a volunteer board committee meeting). Does that make me an overachiever?

I am still in Stage 2 now. I recently entered my fifth year of retirement, and I am loving it!

Each day it just seems like such a mind-blowing miracle that I can do what I want, and that I don't have to go to school or work or answer to anybody at all. I am FREE.

I do have a retirement routine, as in step 5, but establishing that didn't pull me out of the honeymoon phase. I like having a routine! It's MY routine, and if I ever discover that it doesn't please me I can change it.

Last edited:
better to have termination in retirement, than at work! I watch the "dead list" on the company web site, and not all the names have "retired" after them....

"6. Termination of retirement, old age"

Amethyst

Stage One here. I am still working and plan to retire July 7 (after they pay me for the Independence Day holiday). Just today I was quietly cleaning out drawers and such in my cubicle and thinking about who I want to get some of my knick-knacks ...vases, decorations, plants, maps and personally-owned reference materials, small pieces of furniture that I am averse to hauling home. If I start distributing them too early, I will alarm people....Well, either that, or they will hate me for being a short-timer.

Back
Top Bottom