A few words on 'Inexpensive place to live'

Status
Not open for further replies.
USAF Combat Crew Survival School, Fairchild AFB, Washington, early 1970's. A crew of seven were sent into the woods of eastern Washington for five days, with two days survival rations, a small hunk of beef, a few potatoes and onions - and a fluffy white bunny rabbit. Rule #1, take good care of the bunny - no eating him before day 5....

That brought back a memory, also from a USAF survival course (not at Fairchild, though). My crew actually managed to catch a rabbit in a snare, and we were seriously looking forward to consuming it. We built a little smoker and were in the process of cutting strips of rabbit meat to make jerky. Then our instructor suddenly showed up and gave us a hunk of beef to replace the rabbit. He said the rabbits around there were so infested with worms that he didn't want us eating it! :facepalm:

That brought back a memory, also from a USAF survival course (not at Fairchild, though). My crew actually managed to catch a rabbit in a snare, and we were seriously looking forward to consuming it. We built a little smoker and were in the process of cutting strips of rabbit meat to make jerky. Then our instructor suddenly showed up and gave us a hunk of beef to replace the rabbit. He said the rabbits around there were so infested with worms that he didn't want us eating it! :facepalm:

How come Every Air Force survival school story has a rabbit in it? Not just this forum, every AF person who ever spoke to me about survival school had a rabbit in their account. Coincidence?

Back on topic. I'd pass on the wormy rabbit jerky too.

Last edited:
"Once upon a time, there were two rabbits........now look how many there are."

Thanks OldPro for taking the time to share such useful information. Quite frankly, I am just confused why some posters were so rude to you. Hijacking such a good thread to talk about eating rabbits is such a shame and one of the worst act of rudeness I've seen here. I was so enjoying the thread and the information being shared. I still can't find anything in your posts that could be remotely condescending or rude. There appears to be a definite bias in favor of the frequent posters since very few people came to your defense. Reminds me of the ranking that happens at the work place. Everybody likes the one favored by the higher ups and wants to be like him even if he may not be the most competent. The fact that he is perceived as such by the right people is all that matters. I think this thread should be closed since it's now a free for all to have some fun at OldPro's expense. I am sure he does not feel good watching what his well intentioned post have become.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Letj, as an ex-mod it is clear to me that OldPro was (note the past tense - he's now "gone traveling") a poster who practices trolling as a dedicated form of online vandalism. I'm relatively certain he's shown up here before as "Sojouring", who it appears was banned for unacceptable conduct. His kind usually tries repeatedly to re-register under a new identity and stir things up, but the mods are pretty good at catching those attempts early, sometimes before the troll's first post. Obviously that didn't happen this time.

Like most "talented" trolls, he comes across initially as helpful and reasonable. But this is only a Trojan Horse as their true colors soon begin to ooze out. They start to create controversy and even pit members against each other as some support him while others see through his veil of legitimacy.

What we don't see, and what makes his trolling activity cloudy to all of us, are his posts the mods edited or deleted. You probably missed his short-lived final post which appeared to me to be a veiled threat of legal action against the forum for "harassment" or something to that effect. Right...

Serial trolls like Sojourner/OldPro make me think they spent a lot of their childhood pulling the legs off bugs and pouring salt on snails.

(I don't think I'm giving away any confidential information here. If this post disappears you'll know I was mistaken. :) )

Reactions: W2R
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom