AARP

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can adjust your membership online to indicate your interests so you don't get the unwanted mailings.

I used to like to read the magazine when I was 50.

Then I realized they're a liberal organization politically lobbying against my beliefs.

I used to like to read the magazine when I was 50.

Then I realized they're a liberal organization politically lobbying against my beliefs.

I am not familiar with this part of them. Can you elaborate?

I am not familiar with this part of them. Can you elaborate?
We would expect AARP to lobby heavily for the interests of their members. But in the recent past they have inserted themselves into political contests and have taken a position that is >not< favored by the majority of their members, but did benefit their insurance business considerably.

It's not a subject that we can go into here without resulting in a lot of discontent, but if you want to know more you can browse these links:

"AARP Left Me."
"The Love Song of the AARP"
"How AARP Made $2.8 Billion . . . "

Reaction to AARP's politics have resulted in the founding of other groups (AMAC, etc) that offer many of the same discounts but with a different political slant. These groups are still a lot smaller than AARP.

I would never join AARP.

Last edited:
We would expect AARP to lobby heavily for the interests of their members. But in the recent past they have inserted themselves into political contests and have taken a position that is >not< favored by the majority of their members.

It's not a subject that we can go into here without resulting in a lot of discontent, but if you want to know more you can browse these links:

"AARP Left Me."

The AARPs politics have resulted in the founding of other groups (AMAC, etc) that offer many of the same discounts but with a different political slant. These groups are still a lot smaller than AARP.

I would never join AARP.

So it is politics? I'll take my $200 discount on my eyeglasses, thank you.

Yes, just like Bamaman said.
But the discounts can be had easily without funding AARPs political agenda (or their marketing of substandard products).
Real life story from today. Eyeglass store. Discount without insurance 20%. I say I have AARP. Oh, than it's 30%.

For $.04/day, we belong.
Enjoy the Magazine, and find the articles in the Bulletins to be helpful.

How does it get easier?
Tell them you'd like the AARP discount, whether you are a member or not? They want your business, right? That's pretty easy, and you save $16 per year.
And you can handle your politics however you want, I'll do the same, thanks.

Tell them you'd like the AARP discount, whether you are a member or not? They want your business, right? That's pretty easy, and you save $16 per year.
And you can handle your politics however you want, I'll do the same, thanks.

One problem with that approach, they need your AARP number for the discount.

Do what you want to do.

We would expect AARP to lobby heavily for the interests of their members. But in the recent past they have inserted themselves into political contests and have taken a position that is >not< favored by the majority of their members, but did benefit their insurance business considerably.

"AARP Left Me."
"How AARP Made $2.8 Billion . . . "

Reaction to AARP's politics have resulted in the founding of other groups (AMAC, etc) that offer many of the same discounts but with a different political slant. These groups are still a lot smaller than AARP.

I would never join AARP.

But would you join the "other groups"? If so, then you are back to where you started. :(

But would you join the "other groups"? If so, then you are back to where you started. :(
I haven't seen an instance where AARP would have saved me any money at all, so I wouldn't join the other groups just to get discounts, either. But, for those who want the discounts, they can get 'em without AARP's brand of politics.
But it's not just the politics. AARP lends their name to some Medigap policies that are not especially good values, and I'm pretty sure a lot of seniors just buy it because they trust the organization and think they are getting "AARP insurance." IMO, AARP is a marketing organization masquerading as a mutual benefit society.

I haven't seen an instance where AARP would have saved me any money at all, so I wouldn't join the other groups just to get discounts, either. But, for those who want the discounts, they can get 'em without AARP's brand of politics.
But it's not just the politics. AARP lends their name to some Medigap policies that are not especially good values, and I'm pretty sure a lot of seniors just buy it because they trust the organization and think they are getting "AARP insurance." IMO, AARP is a marketing organization masquerading as a mutual benefit society.

Good that you won't join the other groups either. At least you are consistent.

I joined AARP for a reason (unrelated to politics at all). Namely, to look cute among friends showing that I got the "old man" card :) as I already got most of the discounts (mainly, hotel reservations) with my AAA card. Well, now I also get the Consumer Cellular discount with AARP.

If you have the ability to "know" why people have bought these policies, good for you. Most of the rest of us can't read minds.:LOL:

If you are against AARP because some of what they endorse is not a good deal, that's fine. I am not a dumb*ss. I can see for myself if something is not a good deal or not. Let people make their own decisions.

If you are against AARP because some of what they endorse is not a good deal, that's fine. I am not a dumb*ss. I can see for myself if something is not a good deal or not. Let people make their own decisions.
Who is against people making their own decisions? Nobody here is trying to prevent people from making their own decisions--including decisions about whether your assessment of your dumb*ssery is accurate.

Last edited:
Who is against people making their own decisions? Nobody here is trying to prevent people from making their own decisions--including decisions about whether your assessment of your dumb*ssery is accurate.
You said you were against AARP because people buy policies just because of the endorsement. Or did I get that wrong?

The trouble I have with AARP is that every time I see their magazine, I think I'm in a dentist's waiting room. Not sure if I want that vibe in my home :LOL:

Every time I see AARP magazines (which is all the time since we are card carriers, but don't care if other people are or aren't, nobody put a gun to our heads and demanded we join) I wonder why I don't look as good as the cover "girls" when they are my age. That's what I want, their secrets to eternal youthful looks (it couldn't be Photoshop, could it?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom