AARP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a member of AARP for a few years now and actually like them. I like to read their news prints and enjoy their discounts. We use consumer cellular and get an AARP discount on the service.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I am kind of digging them. Signed up about a month ago. I got $200 off my glasses, $30 off the eye exam, used some of their grocery coupons for another $5 or so and they sent me a marginally useful travel bag, all for $16.99.

If I quit all activities because I "didn't like the politics", I'd have to move to a desert isle...

Have contemplated joining, but the cost/benefit is questionable, and not particularly compelling. As for the marketing/junkmail, about 99% of my snailmail goes directly from the mailbox to the recycling bin...

I've been getting unsolicited mailings from AARP for as long as I can remember. Generally they just get tossed, but hey, I'm almost retired now.

What services, products, or otherwise useful tidbits do YOU get from AARP?
none. They finally gave up on me after age 62-65.

none. They finally gave up on me after age 62-65.

You must not wear glasses, use toothpaste, deordorant, paper napkins, window cleaner, razors, toilet paper or travel then. I found discounts on all of these without changing my buying behavior. Your results may favor.

We just signed up to get the Consumer Cellular discount and I used one of their local dining coupons for 1/2 off a restaurant meal. I think we will more than break even this year from those two discounts alone since it didn't cost much to join.

I am kind of digging them. Signed up about a month ago. I got $200 off my glasses, $30 off the eye exam, used some of their grocery coupons for another $5 or so and they sent me a marginally useful travel bag, all for $16.99.

Sounds good. Where on their site are the eye exam discounts? I need to do that this year.

I began receiving mail from AARP 3 years ago when I first turned 50. I threw them out always but last year I decided to join after the mailings dropped the one-year rate and they offered to send me a free small carrying pouch, which I soon received and has been quite handy.

But I derive no other benefits from being a member. Their newsletters and bulletins have nothing of interest, they take me about 2 minutes to skim through before I toss them out. So, when my renewal came up last month, I began getting renewal offers from them at least once a week, all of which I tossed out. I even got a dang robocall from AARP reminding me to renew! AARGH! I hope they give up soon or else I will have to call them and tell them to stop calling me and mailing me stuff which only goes into my paper shredder. (And I have been receiving less junk mail lately, so this is a step backward - note to self to call GEICO and get them to stop mailing me their crappola every week.)

Recently used AARP for flight and hotel - Vienna.

Occasionally there are tips on the magazine or newsletter that serve as reminders. Think I started reading those items back in the century when mother received them in the mail.

I throw out their mailings but DH had to join to get their Medicare supplement. OK, the supplement is pretty good- they process claims promptly and they generally pay everything that Medicare doesn't. I doubt we've used the discount for anything; we have AAA and that generally gets us the same deals, and we use Costco for a lot of other things. That's where I plan to go for new eyeglasses.

And- I hate to admit this- I read the magazine. Plenty of interviews with ageing rock stars, actors and actresses. I can relate.

Last edited:
You must not wear glasses, use toothpaste, deordorant, paper napkins, window cleaner, razors, toilet paper or travel then. I found discounts on all of these without changing my buying behavior. Your results may favor.
Correct. I'm fine without those.

I'm both an AARP and Consumer Cellular member so the discount applies for my mobile. Also, an AAA member so as for stuff like hotel stays, those discounts pretty much overlap.

I've been a member for a decade now. I renew 5 years at a time, cheaper.

Just what I save on the phone bill pays the fee and more.

Free first run movies. If you live in a bigger city. Seeing at least two good ones a year equals the cost of membership. I don't use any of their other discounts, and spend about 2 minutes a month skimming through the magazines/bulletins before recycling.

I would not send money to a PAC I loathed even if they gave me free movies and free toothpaste. And if they preyed on seniors by hawking inferior products, I'd be even less inclined to support such an organization. There are plenty of other groups that give discounts without the political baggage or the unscrupulous marketing practices. But people obviously have different opinions about this. And some people probably even enjoy the junk mail.

I would not send money to a PAC I loathed even if they gave me free movies and free toothpaste. And if they preyed on seniors by hawking inferior products, I'd be even less inclined to support such an organization. There are plenty of other groups that give discounts without the political baggage or the unscrupulous marketing practices. But people obviously have different opinions about this. And some people probably even enjoy the junk mail.

+1

Free first run movies. If you live in a bigger city. Seeing at least two good ones a year equals the cost of membership. I don't use any of their other discounts, and spend about 2 minutes a month skimming through the magazines/bulletins before recycling.

Wait, free movies? Really? How?

I have my membership linked to my Walgreens rewards program. I assume for additional discounts, but I really can't remember why I did.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom