Am I Over Reacting? Advice Needed

Two suggestions. Most new boats are overpriced and poor values - it would be much better to get a gently used boat and motor.

I've been around boats my whole life. Aluminum boats and outboards are very durable as long as they are not abused so IMO there is no need to buy new - used is a much better value.

Second, if you are only using the aluminum boat in fresh water, IMO there is no need to do anything special to the hull. We painted ours occasionally but that was more for looks than any need to protect the aluminum. In fact, many aluminum boats, particularly smaller ones never see paint in my experience.

I agree about shopping for a used aluminum boat.

My advice about painting an aluminum hull was based on my experience where many fishermen fish in both fresh and brackish water (think the lower Columbia River). If an aluminum boat is ONLY used in fresh water then there would be little need.

The Coast Guard gives classes about boating safety. I would bet there are some in your area. Would that make you feel better? Perhaps you could take the class with him.

Ditto above-- you must talk to him about this.

I agree about shopping for a used aluminum boat.

My advice about painting an aluminum hull was based on my experience where many fishermen fish in both fresh and brackish water (think the lower Columbia River). If an aluminum boat is ONLY used in fresh water then there would be little need.

Gotcha. My understanding is that the Great Lakes where the OP indicated the boat would be used are all freshwater lakes. Ditto for other nearby lakes. Hence my response.

Gotcha. My understanding is that the Great Lakes where the OP indicated the boat would be used are all freshwater lakes. Ditto for other nearby lakes. Hence my response.
Thanks for clearing that up. Actually my hubby had mentioned that he knew someone who had a used aluminum boat and he was going to check into that. It was my idea to get a new one because every time he buys a used boat from someone, it leaks (and he's back to sealants). At this time we have two leaky boats back there he's not using. We did have three but he was able to sell one to a friend. Even the one he is currently uses leaks.

Ah yes, boats definitely, undeniably, infinitely: leak. Regardless of size. If they don't leak from the bottom, they will most assuredly leak from the top! :)

First off, communication is important, you need to tell him you are worried for his safety, given the scares in the past. However, I didn't hear about a single hospital trip or coast guard call, so, from my point of view, the scares you discussed weren't life threatening. He's a grown man, and he has stayed alive this long, this boat won't be the thing that kills him.
The expense isn't the issue, so,let him buy the boat, you are his DW, not his DM. If the expenses to take care of a fishing boat are the only hobby he spends money on, you have gotten off cheap. I spend more than that on lunch.
Are you sure that you aren't jealous? Of where he wants to spend his time? Or jealous of the fact he has a hobby and you don't? Whether it's safety or some other reason be sure you know why this bothers you and discuss it with the DH, and maybe you can reach a compromise you both are happy with.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom