Vietnam/Thailand

jgman

Recycles dryer sheets
Was invited to travel/vacation with a friend and his family to Vietnam/Thailand next November. Amazingly, he actually came to the US from Vietnam in 1970 on a small boat. He still has family and friends in Vietnam. Was going to go to Europe next summer but am now thinking of going to Vietnam/Thailand. Anybody been to both places and have any thoughts/preferences?

Last edited:
I have been to Thailand once and I much prefer Europe where I have gone 6 times. My son lives in Vietnam and I considered visiting but the air quality is terrible in that part of the world and I have asthma. I didn’t have asthma when I went to Thailand in 1998 and the air was brown.

We've been to over 40 countries, including both Thailand and Vietnam. Your answer has to be "it depends." We would jump at the chance to travel with somebody like your friend. Inside access and information that we might not find on our own, lots of chances to try foods including some we have never heard of. Less risk of picking places that are a waste of time. Easier movement on public transport. For us there would be no question.

But some people want to travel to places that are comfortable and similar to home. Europe is like that. In most countries English speakers are common, American style food is easily available, and the street signs are in the Roman alphabet. Most drive on the right side of the road. But Europe is old. For example, the cathedral at Chartres was built in around 1200. You're not gonna see things like that in Indianapolis! The Acropolis is about 3000 years old. The Mona Lisa was painted in the early 1500s, around year zero in the new world. Lots of interesting old stuff.

So you pays your money and you make your choice.

An anecdote about Thai air 25 years ago? Don't worry about it. If you want to investigate, start with current information. Unless I had breathing issues I would not even bother about it for a short trip.

Last edited:
I got to spend a year over there a very long time ago. I would like to go back, but never have simply because of the distance. I remember it as very beautiful, with friendly people and interesting (and delicious) food. I was too busy at the time to do any tourist stuff, so I have no specific recommendations other than to encourage you to go.

Very different.

We have been to SE Asia a number of times, to Europe many times. You cannot compare them.

We have spent six winters in Thailand. We go for two months in winter. A month in Thailand, then on for a month somewhere else. Australia, Malaysia, Vietnam, a little Singapore.

DW was not interested in Thailand or Viet Nam, etc at first. Now, when we speak of snow birding this is her first choice.

We do not particularly like the tourist areas of Thailand...Phuket, Ko Samui. We tend to skip them.

We did independent travel in VietNam for a month. Entered by land from Cambodia and started on Phu Quac, an isand in the south. Then made our way north to Hanoi. Planes, buses, mini buses, an a rail journey. People are incredibly friendly. To the point where we plan to go back again one winter.

Adjust your expectations. This is not Europe, not the US. Go with the flow and enjoy yourself. We did a two night homestay in Mekong Delta. Very different experience.

Our usual response when we are thinking of traveling to somewhere new is 'why not'?

One other comment....Viet Nam is changing. Fast. Now is the time to go before some of the charm disappears.

Last edited:
I have looked in the past few years and the air quality is bad in that entire area. However, if you don’t have any respiratory problems it won’t matter. I just mentioned it in case you did.

We did see some beautiful things such as the original President’s Palace, reclining Buddha, etc. It’s hot and humid all the time so we went in November which is one of the coolest months and it was still in the 90’s with 90% humidity.

It really depends what you’re looking for as Thailand and Europe couldn’t be more different. If you can afford to go to Europe another time then you might want to visit your friend since having a local to show you around is great. For me the heat and food as well as the air quality were big negatives. For some people it’s not a big deal.

Thanks everyone for their responses. Will probably do Vietnam/Thailand since I have been to Europe twice, although many years ago. Can do Europe later. Plus as mentioned having a person familiar with the two countries to show me around will be very nice.

Any thoughts on the long flight (15+ hours) from the US? Thinking of maybe flying Business or even First-class depending on the price.

We typically go to Thailand SE Asia from late January to late March. Weather is perfect for us. By late March it tends to get warmer.

Start in the south, head north!

Many, low cost regional airlines. Very easy to move about.

One recommendation...pack light, carry on only (international size if you plan on any regional airlines)

I have been to Thailand once and I much prefer Europe where I have gone 6 times. My son lives in Vietnam and I considered visiting but the air quality is terrible in that part of the world and I have asthma. I didn’t have asthma when I went to Thailand in 1998 and the air was brown.

Air quality very much depends on where you are in Thailand or Viet Nam. We have spent many, many pleasurable pollution free hours on islands and mainland seas ides in Thailand... on both coasts. And in some areas of the north such as Chiang Mai area. Ditto for may seaside areas in Vietnam and interior areas such a DaLat.

The blanket statement that the air is terrible in that part of the world is far, far from reality and might serve to put someone off a visit that they might well regret.

We certainly would not have spent six two month snowbird trips in the area if the air quality was terrible or if the air was 'brown'.

Last edited:
I'm following this. Heading to Singapore, Cambodia, and Thailand in a few weeks. Most of the time in Thailand.

@Brett. We have international size carry on luggage but are worried by the weight restrictions on Asia air and Thai smile airlines... 7kg is pretty tight and still have a spare pair of shoes.

Thanks everyone for their responses. Will probably do Vietnam/Thailand since I have been to Europe twice, although many years ago. Can do Europe later. Plus as mentioned having a person familiar with the two countries to show me around will be very nice.

Any thoughts on the long flight (15+ hours) from the US? Thinking of maybe flying Business or even First-class depending on the price.

Definitely fly in seats that lay flat. If you don't want to pay the exorbitant price for a business class seat you can book an economy seat and a couple of days before departure upgrade yourself to the flat seats. This works best if you're flying in the middle of the week when there are fewer business class travelers and more likely to have empty business class seats. Be aware though the upgrade fee is not refundable or exchangeable (at least on United) and the seat selection may be limited. With the upgrade you should get access to the business class lounges. The lounges in Asia are much nicer than in the US and some of them have showers so you can take a shower if you have a long enough layover.

I'm following this. Heading to Singapore, Cambodia, and Thailand in a few weeks. Most of the time in Thailand.

@Brett. We have international size carry on luggage but are worried by the weight restrictions on Asia air and Thai smile airlines... 7kg is pretty tight and still have a spare pair of shoes.

So here is what we do....

We always aim for 7KG but we are usually slightly over. DW more so.

There is usually some overage allowed. I would count on .5 - 1kilo. If we are not sure...We wear our heavier shoes, carry our ipads, book in our hands.

We might put on our nylon shells. Then place heavier items in the pockets. For me it might be my electric razor, some rechargers, etc. You get the gist.

In some areas, Kuala Lumper and some Philippine airports Air Asia have people walking around the check in area suggested that you should check the bag. You can IGNORE them. IF you are flying through KL and taking an Air Asia flight be aware that they occasionally have a crew set up with a scale just before you enter the security issue. Not everyone gets weighed either. Not ashamed to say that more than once we have kind of 'skirted' around them when their focus was on others!

In six years of a fair amount of regional air we have always been OK. Air Asia, NOK, Tiger, Lion, Jetstar, Viet, Scoot, Smile, HK Air....never had an issue.

The most diligent we have seen is with Jetstar Australia in Brisbane where they checked weights at check-in and again at the gate. The clerk at the gate had a scale....and a hand held credit/debit terminal!

One wonderful thing in SE Asia vs NA is this restriction on carry on size and weight. Planes get loaded and unloaded so much more quickly and without the usual hassles that we see in NA! IF only NA carriers would have the same regs and any level of enforcement.

One other observation...they seem to check those whose carry on bags are bulging at the seams. Tie the insides down well so that your bag does not resemble a two week late pregnant woman.

Don't sweat this. Just go and have a fabulous time! If you are taking any mini busses, ferry boats or water taxis you will be so very thankful that you only have carry on!

Last edited:
What happens if you're over?

Do they check?

I have flights within Thailand in February from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and then to Phuket with AirAsia and Thai Airways.

Problem is I'm carrying a large camera and other electronics in my carry on and personal item.

Flights are relatively affordable so maybe buy another ticket?

Or do they offer overage fees?

They sometimes check.

We have never been over 'enough' that they have made us pay so I cannot say what happens. I do not think it is a big deal.

As I recall they do have overage fees. You can check on their respective web sites.

As I recall, Jetstar Australia limited us to something like 6KG. You can pay a premium to increase it it to 12KG depending on how many others have done this. We did it once, on one domestic flight in Australia. Doing this was more expensive that the fee to check the bag!

I would tend to carry as much camera gear as I could around my neck and in my jacket pockets. We never want to check bags. Nothing whatsoever to do with cost.

Keep smiling, be polite, and you will probably be just fine. Thai people are the very friendliest and most polite that we have ever encountered on our travels. Just get used to one or two saying that they have a relative in a city in Canada (in our case) and do you know him by chance?

Last edited:
Thanks Brett. My stuff will weigh less but the suitcase itself is a non zero weight. Might skip the packing cubes because that is a few extra ounces. We travel light and don't like checking luggage because it can go missing. (Happened to my son and the my sister in separate trips to Europe). I only consider checking on the flight home if there are connections.

AirAsia, in our experience, is excellent. They are our preferred regional airline. Big, modern fleet.

One thing about the Thai regionals is that if your destination is an island they will include air, bus to ferry, and ferry fare all in one ticket. One you deplane they have people directing you to the mini bus.

We get a significantly better exchange rate in Thailand when we exchange our money in country. Your bills have to be clean..no writing on them or rips. Many smaller hotels will charge an add on fee of 3 percent for credit cards. Most smaller, family run restaurants are cash only.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for their responses. Will probably do Vietnam/Thailand since I have been to Europe twice . . .

If you’ve already been to Europe then I think this is the right choice. Especially if you’ve got a knowledgeable friend to guide you. I’ve lived in Thailand since 2017 and have traveled to England, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain. If you’ve never been to Asia then you are in for a very different experience. I loved Thailand since the first day I visited in 2015.

Travel time for me to San Francisco is more like 20 hours. There is always a layover somewhere. Even at 67 years old I have no problem flying economy class.

I would check the weather patterns.

I heard the rain could be especially bad in Nov/Dec.

It rains a lot in these SE Asian countries but some periods are worse than others.

I had a bad trip to Singapore years ago when it poured a lot. Now I'm going to try to go back to Thailand and Singapore in the first half of February, hoping for better luck with the weather.

If you’ve already been to Europe then I think this is the right choice. Especially if you’ve got a knowledgeable friend to guide you. I’ve lived in Thailand since 2017 and have traveled to England, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain. If you’ve never been to Asia then you are in for a very different experience. I loved Thailand since the first day I visited in 2015.

Travel time for me to San Francisco is more like 20 hours. There is always a layover somewhere. Even at 67 years old I have no problem flying economy class.

Definitely doing SE Asia.

Watching videos of some of the First Class and Business Class seating makes it very tempting especially given the length of the trip. Will have to see how much more it is.

I would check the weather patterns.

I heard the rain could be especially bad in Nov/Dec.

It rains a lot in these SE Asian countries but some periods are worse than others.

Here in Thailand the dry season begins in November and lasts until about April. I would think it is the same in Vietnam since that is where most of our storms come from when it is the rainy season. When it does rain it is usually a torrential downpour for less than an hour. Then the sun comes out. I prefer the rainy season in Thailand because it is so green. Towards the end of the season though you can encounter flooding and if you are visiting the beaches and islands then the weather can be less than ideal.

Last edited:
Our snow bird trips have typically been Jan to mid-late March depending on when Lunar New Year occurs.

In that time I can on recall one half day of rain. While we were touring a tea plantation in Malaysia's Cameron Highlands.

Otherwise the weather has always been good. It does get hot in late March, especially in southern Thailand. Never visited in Nov/Dec or after late March.

My husband and I went to Vietnam and Cambodia in 2015. We had a great time! I highly recommend it. I did tons of research thru trip advisor, the people on the Vietnam forum were extremely knowledgeable friendly and generous with their time and recommendations.
We spent time in Hanoi and took a three day trip on a junk, to Ha Long Bay, very popular trip and really worth it. The ship was quaint and the area is very beautiful.
We also spent time in Hoi An and Ninh Binh.

If you have a chance to go, I highly recommend it.

We went to Thailand/Cambodia earlier this year. I much preferred Cambodia because Thailand is overrun with tourists. That said, Thailand is a great introduction to SE Asia. Food is amazing, and the tourism industry runs really smoothly. Some people love Bangkok but I was much happier in the more natural surroundings personally. Beaches are wonderful.

We flew ANA premium economy and were quite happy with it. That said, if you've got the money to fly business they why not? It's a long flight.

@Rodi: have a great time in Cambodia! Angor Wat and the city of Siem Reap are on my favorites list!

I'm flying ANA business, SFO to Japan and then BKK.

Only tough thing is arriving just after midnight.

We have always arrived in Bangkok after midnight.

We actually do not mind it. We are typically in our hotel by 1 or 1:30. We get a good nights sleep, often have a late breakfast, and do not seem to be impacted by the jet lag issue.

Going the other way is completely different. Brutal.

We have always avoided Phuket, Ko Samui, and Patong while in Thailand. We tend to go smaller places, often where there are more Thai holiday makers than others.

Back
Top Bottom