Another Exciting Episode in Audrey's Great RV Adventure

A safety-conscious guy, I do not worry about roll-overs. Thought I would post the videos to warn people to take things a bit seriously. It may not be lunacy or idiocy, but just plain ignorance.

However, I have stressed my minivan once, pulling a U-Haul moving trailer uphill. Stability wise, no problem at all. But the smell of overheated transmission fluid is not something I want to experience again.

Switching to my SUV solved the problem. And I do not want to smoke that SUV. Bought new and paid with cash, it's got to last. :D

So now I have to start vetting my posts by scrolling down? Humrph!

Thanks for thinking of me, anyway. If the price is good enough, I will buy to tow as a dinghy.:D

Just kidding of course, as these are not light. However, I have seen a guy pulling a travel trailer behind his class C. Mother-in-law suite! :LOL:

In my search for a motorhome I ultimately gave up buying it privately (Craig's List, EBay, etc.). There was just too much BS to waste my time on.

In the current RV market you can get great prices from over-inventoried dealers, though I am told the prices are starting to rise a bit here and there.

It is certainly true that individuals tend to price their vehicles too high, whether it's an RV or a car. It also takes time to go out to look at them. Occasionally, I found what seemed to be a good deal, but it is in Timbuktu. Then, I hate to take a flight there just to see it's full of rust.

Dealers do have good prices, and they clean up the vehicle nicely. Yes, their prices are competitive with private sales. But I still like to be able to skip the sales tax when buying from individuals though.

:confused: You mean the state is now collecting sale taxes for transactions between individuals? :confused:

I think I understand what you're saying here, but would you mind elaborating?

I know that where I am from even though the seller doesn't collect the sales tax in these circumstances, you still have to pay it as buyer when you go register the vehicle.

Ha! You can tell that I have bought only from dealers for the last few decades. If I remember correctly, it was not like that 30 years ago.

A quick check on the Web seems to confirm what I thought. That is, there is no sales tax for transactions between individuals. Purchases made from a dealer will incur a sales tax, whether the vehicle is new or used. Note that this is not the vehicle annual licensing tax.

See excerpt below from an AZ Web forum.

I'm not an expert and am only offering my opinion, but to my knowledge, anytime you buy from a dealer you're going to pay the sales tax for state dealer is in unless it's a state like Oregon with no sales tax. In those cases AZ says you owe a "use tax" (like a sales tax) if you purchase it from out of state and did not pay the sales or use tax there. If you bought a used already registered vehicle from out of state private party and had it shipped to you, you'd have to register it right away but probably only the VLT tax applies--you'd have to contact DMV about that. Same thing in AZ when you buy from another private party in AZ a used already registered vehicle and register it in your name, you pay the AZ VLT vehicle license tax (in lieu of personal property tax charged in other states) with the license fee but it is not a sales tax which is separate. Arizona has a good website to go to which you can probably find more info or email a direct question. It's at: Motor Vehicle Division

Boy, I am glad I am a citizen of the "Republic of Arizona". :clap:

I am not a kayaker, but have once tried the Hobie Mirage Drive that our friends have. They love it because the propulsion by leg muscles is certainly more powerful than with oars. I agreed. See what you think.

Hobie Kayaks

In my search for a motorhome I ultimately gave up buying it privately (Craig's List, EBay, etc.). There was just too much BS to waste my time on.

In the current RV market you can get great prices from over-inventoried dealers, though I am told the prices are starting to rise a bit here and there.

In my shopping for an A-Liner, I've found it's too late to find bargains due to high inventory levels. Dealers have near zero inventory and their web sites carry messages that they won't be bringing in an inventory for next spring. They want you to look at their demo's and have them order you one from the factory. Looks like I could have saved 5% - 10% had I bought one from on the lot inventory last spring........

Excellent website heyduke! They use inflatable kayaks like I do, their east Texas kayaking sounds interesting and a possibility for this spring. A lot of good information on their website.

a lot of good info... i use to be a biologist for Texas Parks and Wildlife and the places they visit in Texas are worth doing... they really didn't like TX much but if you read their blog it makes more sense..

It seems like the majority of KOAs are way too tight for our rig - either driving to the site or the site itself. That's the main reason for avoidance for us and the reason we have marked "never again" on several we stopped at. The park reviews site is pretty good at warning about tightness for larger rigs.

Audrey

...but you look at the numbers and it still cost them less for camp fees than I pay in taxes now for my place in very cheap Texas...

In Illinois you pay sales tax when you register the title unless you bought from a "close" relative. The price you paid doesn't matter. They have a look up table for the make and model they use to determine the amount. So, if you buy an abused vehicle cheap, you still get stuck for full tax.

Audrey, these reviewers, which include a taller guy, prefer the 370 to the 330 for the extra legroom. The site also talks about the seats: Sea Eagle 370 Sport Kayak
Well, after both DH and I reading a bunch of reviews, we decided to spend another $100 and order the 370 pro package. From various reviews it sounds like it tracks quite a bit better than the 330, and I expect the extra leg room is going to be important for DH. We also decided the upgraded seats were probably important.

Thanks for all the information and help! We can't wait to use it!

I guess this is our Xmas present to ourselves. :cool:

Audrey

Well, after both DH and I reading a bunch of reviews, we decided to spend another $100 and order the 370 pro package. From various reviews it sounds like it tracks quite a bit better than the 330, and I expect the extra leg room is going to be important for DH. We also decided the upgraded seats were probably important.

Thanks for all the information and help! We can't wait to use it!

I guess this is our Xmas present to ourselves. :cool:

Audrey

I am sure you will have fun with it. Maybe someday we will meet up on the Bentsen resaca.

I am sure you will have fun with it. Maybe someday we will meet up on the Bentsen resaca.
One of these days! We're sure enjoying Bentsen Palm Village right now - the weather has been fantastic.

This spring (well, late Jan, Feb) we're thinking of going down to the South Florida Gulf Coast. Crowded, yes, but we have to go sometime, and that is really the best time especially for birds. So I don't think we'll be swinging back by the Valley in March.

But that kayak should come in really handy in South Florida!!!!!

Audrey

I have been busy with work, then spent the weekend working in the backyard with DW. We, or rather I, have been neglecting this "city" home and in the last couple of years, have been spending more time working on our "boonies" home. So, I just logged in now to make this post.

There is another Blog that deserves mention: The Sandcastle.
Or better yet, go to her original website - sandsys.org - and click on "Travel" then on "Camping" and read her account of getting started on their RV adventure.

Yes, I read where they went to have their mini-motorhome made to order. That's nice! I have been watching resales of these Sprinter-chassis MHs, but they are too pricey for me.

:confused: Do you suggest I put some axles on this to turn it into a "home on wheels?" :confused:

The way I am going to be busy with work for the next several months, and then perhaps into next year, I should stop looking for an RV. My wife has to stay in town to watch over her father anyway. Perhaps I should just save the money I am making now on these jobs to splurge on a nicer RV later, like those Sprinters. I am ready to spend some money, but my wife has been reluctant.

Do you suggest I put some axles on this to turn it into a "home on wheels?

It was, merely, my attempt at humor.

(nevertheless, I assumed it already had an axle -- or the fitting to slip one on easily.)

Back
Top Bottom