Any New Years resolutions?

duckcalldan

Dryer sheet aficionado
2017, my first year of FIRE life, has been so fulfilling. This year: I learned how to blow glass, I travelled to Amsterdam, LA with my daughter, Montreal, Cape Cod for our 25th anniversary, and most notably to Rwanda to drill a water well. I took my family to see Hamilton on Broadway and I met and had a nice chat with Sally Yates.

So, next year?
*My wife and I will be sponsorship directors for a children’s home in Haiti. We will go there next month to meet the kids and staff.
*I’m volunteering once a week at a homeless day shelter, and I’d like to get more involved with helping our city’s homeless situation.
*Pottery lessons! And more glass blowing.
*Learn to pen sketch.
*Research what town we will downsize to. And visit one or more.
*Supplement my several day a week bike riding with some Pilates/core work or weightlifting.
*Move toward Spanish fluency (I’ve been on Duolingo for 3 months) and start Haitian Creole lessons.

What’s on your list?

Those sound like great goals for the new year. I wish you the best with them!

Mine are simple:

1) Learn to swim well enough to compete in one of the upcoming competitions with my swim team. Before I can do this I'll have to learn how to dive and do a flip turn, both of which scare the crap out of me.

2) Add some volunteer work to my schedule.

If I can accomplish both of these I'll consider it a successful year.

I will, once again, swear off refined sugar. For the past few years, I usually do pretty well for several months then slowly slip back to that sweet white devil. The thing is I can feel the harmful inflammation in my joints when I eat sugar products. And once I start in, I crave more and more. Similar to cigarettes or narcotics I would imagine.

1) I signed up for a yoga class and hope that it will get me on the road to lose weight
and get in shape
2) Planning to do some volunteer work but not yet sure with what organization
3) Clean out the basement-it's a disaster
4) Get more serious about a couple of my hobbies

I resolve not to make resolutions.

I make “resolutions” whenever, not tied to the start of each year. Right now:
  • Keep up the cardio, add more resistance and flexibility exercise.
  • Play more golf, lower my handicap.
  • Sell our boat.
  • Overcome winter boredom.

Next year I'll be doing dips and pull ups with zero assistance.

I resolve not to make resolutions.

+1. Started that about ten years back.

Doesn't mean I don't strive for self improvement. This year, I committed (successfully) to being regular vol at the local soup kitchen. For 2018, I plan on improving my very limited Spanish language skills in advance of some south of the border travel in 2019.

My resolution for 2018 is to make sure it's my last full year of w*rk before RE.

I'm gonna blow more dough than I did this year!

Mainly try to lose another 5 pounds, but at a minimum don't regain any of the 20 that I lost in 2017.

Slow down.
Call instead of text.
Be more kind and generous.
Absorb more Vitamin D.

Invest more money.

Teach DS to Ski, ice skate and generally how to have a good time. Love DD as much as possible and show DW the appreciation deserved.

Spend less time online.
You good folks have enough to deal with without me. :D

I've spent too much time on YouTube this year, so I plan to:

1 - Cut way back on YouTube
2 - Get into the workshop every day, even if it's only 15 minutes
3 - Catch up on my backlog of books waiting to be read

The same ones that I have been trying to do for a while
- eat healthier
- exercise more

I'm going to run 5k every day for january. I've done 2+ miles each day in December, so barring injury I should have no problems.

I have a trip Feb1 so this should help put holiday indulgences well behind me in time for it.

Focus more on being kind every day.

Focus more on being thankful every day.

Treat myself every now and then.

Continue to learn more and practice my faith.
Do more to help and serve others.
Be thankful for all I have.
Finish remodeling condo and rental property.
Tell DW I love her every day and show it in some way.
See my grandchildren as much as possible.
Improve my health, both physical and mental.
Help friends and neighbors when needed.

Travel more. And true to my resolution, I have already booked two trips - one for Jamaica, another to East Coast (DC, New York).

Bike & kayak more. Around here the winters are long! I'm getting cabin fever already.

Back
Top Bottom