Any one here live in SIN ?

Chris24

Recycles dryer sheets
Singapore that is. (SIN is the airport designation). Thought I was about to ER, but am being lured by a job in Singapore. Would stil be ERing from the contract at 55, (50 now), but the Idea of living in another part of the world as part of the community, while increasing retirement income, intrigues me. Trying to wiegh out the +'s and -'s. Everything I here about Singapore is great.

Trying to get as much 'inside info" as I can get. Woud like to here of anyones experience there.

Christopher

I've only been there for one day, but it was interesting. It's extremely first world, all paved and groomed with interesting new architecture. I was there after spending time in places where English was not the first language, so it was really refreshing that people spoke good English and I could have a decent conversation.

Chris24 said:
Woud like to here of anyones experience there.

Try a thread search for "Singapore". I remember that one of our posters lives there but I can't for the life of me remember which one...

I spent several weeks there and enjoyed it, although some of my Travelling Companions referred to it as sterile.

Very regulated, clean and safe, it is an interesting place to visit.

Humidity is very high, cost of living is not cheap.

Strong British influence as also Chinese and Indian.

Great shopping, while there a visit to The Tiger Bar, is a must, home to the legendary Flying Tigers.

I would have no problem with moving there for awhile, easy to access other areas of interest.

I have also only visited, found it quite pleasant, kind of like a higher-humidity version of Honolulu. Great variety of food available.

Bpp

I visit Singapore two or three times a year on business. It's interesting, beautiful, clean and safe. But it's not inexpensive and you have to be comfortable with an atmosphere of absolutely no tolerance for breaking the rules. I'd accept a work assignment there for a few years without hesitation.

They are very much into following the rules in SIN, but one of the most juicy things I saw while I was in SIN was a group of locals jaywalking in a deserted downtown area. The "don't walk" sign had stayed on a for a while even though the cross traffic was stopped, so the people were getting antsy, and I guess they just decided they would go for it. Right when they were in the middle of the crosswalk the lights changed so the crosstraffic had green, and there was a moment of genuine panic as the pedestrians realized they had not only broken the rules but were also blocking traffic because of it. Oh, the embarrassment. They sprinted to get out of the traffic.

The Women are absolutly beautiful, fly Singapore Airlines, worth the price of the ticket.

Thanks for the the response. Been out of town, but think I am going to pursue the job. They give a decent housing allowence and a fair wage. I haven't headf anything negative other than what has been siad. I have friends in the nieghboring countries, so won't feel too far away. Monies that I had set aside for ER can "cook" a few more years while I experience something completly different. Hopefully they will have me.

I think you will love it. I have been in and out of there. Close to Malaysia (Prai) and Thailand also is a bonus. Now I was gung ho before I saw your last post. As mentioned it is not cheap. Make sure you validate your allowance to the local market, consider transportation, eats, etc. You can live less than advertised but it will take some local knowledge and a little flexibility.

job

Howard said:
The Women are absolutely beautiful, fly Singapore Airlines, worth the price of the ticket.

I agree.  I don't know what the policy is today, but a few years ago you wouldn't find any "old" flight attendants on Singapore Airlines since they only let them work until age 25. 

I only visited Singapore but it was a most interesting place.  On the one hand, the city is very progressive but on the other hand it is ruled in a draconian manner. I'm not sure if I would want to make a long term commitment to living there--I guess that would depend on the total package I was being offered.

You nailed it on the head when you said it's progressive and yet draconian at the same time. It really is interesting.

I remember a billboard campaign by the gov't in SIN that encouraged people to get out more often. It had an image of a fat women watching TV with the caption "She didn't get out much", and a thin energetic woman on the beach with caption "She did". That is progressive (encouraging people to be healthy) and yet at the same time unsettlingly vain. There were also a lot of ads for plastic surgery and such. It's like you see the radiance of youth and the dark side of the obsession with youth at the same time.

The "fountain of wealth" is I think one of the largest fountains in the world. The placards proudly announce that it "flows inward, symbolizing the retention of wealth". GWB could learn a lesson or two from these folks.

I have a friend who left 17 years for a job for Seagate Technology and has never returned.

Back
Top Bottom