Anyone into home automation?

I have an Emerson Wi-Fi thermostat and love being able to control the temperature with my phone. I bought it a week after I retired...the previous programmable one worked fine when I had a more "regular" schedule, but now that I'm retired my schedule varies too much and a regular programmable thermostat isn't as useful.

Doing an experiment now at the cabin while we are having house built. Have installed the Insteon hub and can control outside floods and 4 or 5 lights indoors. Hand to trun on from phone while still driving up there.

Have net enabled garage doors on Florida home and current home and web enabled thermostats in both houses. Seeing if I can get them all tied together with either Amazon echo or Google home, have not decided which one t0 try yet. Have cameras in all homes.

In my case the wifi cameras aren't for security, they're for curiosity and peace of mind. However, you're right about the cable. We had a power outage, and even though we have a generator for some reason the router didn't come back up so we're out of the water until I can get a neighbor to go in and reboot it. The cable company can't do it remotely. Next year I'll be adding a UPS for the router.

I remember when we built our big house in MD 9 years ago, I put in a wire closet and ran cat6 and coax cable to every room. Only used it in a couple of spots, and mostly it's just an annoyance at this point. Technology moves too fast to lock into something too early. If I was serious about home automation I'd just wait until whatever I want was old and well broken in, then set it up. For now I'm just playing with a few things for fun and inconvenience.

Luddite here

Nope. None of the chores mentioned in any of these posts are so onerous that they are worth handing control to G**gle. Why would I care about remote starting the clothes dryer when it's not going to load itself anyway?

Meanwhile, the downsides are unlimited: privacy invasion, unwanted purchases by overeager Alexas, and constant interruptions sparked by false alarms. Not to mention the North Korean hackers who are just itching to turn on my sprinklers while I'm mowing the lawn!

Worst of all, it would be way more effort to learn how to install, setup, program and synchronize those tasks than to just do them myself. Especially since all those devices will be obsoleted within a couple of years, and then I'd have to learn it all again. My objective in retirement is to do LESS w*rk, not more.

Nope. None of the chores mentioned in any of these posts are so onerous that they are worth handing control to G**gle. Why would I care about remote starting the clothes dryer when it's not going to load itself anyway?

Meanwhile, the downsides are unlimited: privacy invasion, unwanted purchases by overeager Alexas, and constant interruptions sparked by false alarms. Not to mention the North Korean hackers who are just itching to turn on my sprinklers while I'm mowing the lawn!

Worst of all, it would be way more effort to learn how to install, setup, program and synchronize those tasks than to just do them myself. Especially since all those devices will be obsoleted within a couple of years, and then I'd have to learn it all again. My objective in retirement is to do LESS w*rk, not more.
My goodness, I thought I was worst until I read your post. After the Wikileaks about CIA, I now think twice about my Samsung smart TV. Husband and I have to be careful what we do in the living room where we spend most of our time napping.

I control most lights and ceiling fans with Alexa + Wemo, as well as Nest thermostat. I also have 5 IP cameras (2 inside and 3 outside) that are recorded 24/7 to a 2TB HD, can be viewed remotely with iphone, ipad app.

My goodness, I thought I was worst until I read your post. After the Wikileaks about CIA, I now think twice about my Samsung smart TV. Husband and I have to be careful what we do in the living room where we spend most of our time napping.

I'm only second-worst, but I'm working on passing this guy:

grumpy-old-man.jpg

People like me like the challenge of making things work [emoji4]

Slowly moving into some home automation although we did choose not to go "whole hog" with our recent remodel.

So far:
1. Two Trane Nexia wifi enabled thermostats. One in main house, one in Casita. Turn AC/Heat on/off while away.
2. Liftmaster wifi enabled garage door opener. No more wondering if we shut the garage door five minutes after we left.
3. Sonos whole house wifi stereo system. Control all music, speakers, etc from our phones.
4. Have a Google Home although at this point haven't used it much nor have we tied it into any of our existing home automation.
5. Leak sensors on all indoor plumbing.

Last edited:
One of the advantages to a Wi-Fi thermostat is the ability to easily monitor your home's temperature when you're away. Yes, you can get alarms and you should have someone checking the house anyway, but the ability to simply look at your phone to see the current temperature at any time from anywhere will add to your peace of mind.

I don't see any reason for machines to do these things.
I have perfect confidence in household staff: butler, housekeeper, maids, footmen, chauffeur, gardeners, etc.
After all, isn't that what they're employed for? I think they would be offended by the implication they weren't up to the task!
:angel:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 1.19.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 1.19.56 PM.png
    463.9 KB · Views: 13
I have perfect confidence in household staff: butler, housekeeper, maids, footmen, chauffeur, gardeners, etc.
After all, isn't that what they're employed for? I think they would be offended by the implication they weren't up to the task!

Well done!

Closest I'm doing is installing coaxial cable and extra telephone jacks throughout the apartment, which was built in the 1960s and only had one coax jack in the living room for a master antenna that no longer exists. I'd like at least two coax jacks in each bedroom. I want the cable concealed in drywall soffits with access panels. This is a crazy-big job for someone who's never worked with drywall, especially on these walls (plaster and diamond lath on steel channel studs), but I successfully finished one soffit and I'll eventually do some more.

Well done!
+2, I laughed.

...I can't convince myself that $250 for a nest thermostat was going to have that much payback in utility costs...
Me neither. I have had a programmable thermostat for 3 decades now. It does help. The Nest seems to be for people who do not want to program one.

One of the advantages to a Wi-Fi thermostat is the ability to easily monitor your home's temperature when you're away...
My niece gave me one, that I have not opened for 3 months. It would work well for my 2nd home in the boondocks. Alas, no Internet there.

I used to spend hours to make things work when I was young. Then, people paid me big bucks to make things work. Thought I had so much fun I would do it for free. Then, the joy of that was swamped out by the BS that came with the w*rk. Now, back to doing things for myself, I have found that I am not as interested anymore. I must be getting old and tired. My wife just reminded me that I have not completely rearranged my little lab upstairs, where I have 2 HP spectrum analyzers, 2 Tektronix scopes, 3 HP signal generators, logic chip programmers, and numerous power supplies.

Last edited:
As a couple others stated, I have thought about taking the plunge & turning my regular home into a 'smart home' but I always decide against it.

It's strange, because not that long ago, I was one of those that had to have all the latest gadgets & toys ?

So for the time being, I'll have to manually turn the thermostat up/down a couple degrees when I leave, & reach over to the passenger side visor & click my garage door opener when I leave & get back.

But maybe someday

If those garage doors and other things are connected to the web through "Internet of Things", which they probably are, make sure you change the default password or the bad guys will take over their control.

I think my toaster is having an affair with the refrigerator.

The microwave sent me an email implying that there were dastardly deeds taking place in the kitchen.

As a couple others stated, I have thought about taking the plunge & turning my regular home into a 'smart home' but I always decide against it.

It's strange, because not that long ago, I was one of those that had to have all the latest gadgets & toys ?

So for the time being, I'll have to manually turn the thermostat up/down a couple degrees when I leave, & reach over to the passenger side visor & click my garage door opener when I leave & get back.

But maybe someday

You could be my clone on this. I used to be first out of the gate with tech stuff and also had a computer repair business for 5 years. But I guess I got burned out with the tech world and have reverted back to having a smart phone and a programmable thermostat. we still have desktops and I have a Chromebook. Even our fancy stereo hardly gets used these days.

Maybe I am getting lazy, but I don't care to experience the occasional frustration with new tech devices when they flop.

I'm even thinking of getting rid of my smartphone for a flip.

I agree with liking to make things work. I would much rather design a board and built it. Then program it up from scratch to make it do what I want. Buying something like Alexa, google home or similar has all the interesting stuff done already. Its like setting up a VCR use to be. Just follow the manual.

You could be my clone on this. I used to be first out of the gate with tech stuff and also had a computer repair business for 5 years. But I guess I got burned out with the tech world and have reverted back to having a smart phone and a programmable thermostat. we still have desktops and I have a Chromebook. Even our fancy stereo hardly gets used these days.

Maybe I am getting lazy, but I don't care to experience the occasional frustration with new tech devices when they flop.

I'm even thinking of getting rid of my smartphone for a flip.

Yup, we're definatly clones!
I have a 20" IMAC desktop that I bought in March 2008. I've upgraded the OS 4 times & upped the RAM to 6GB from 2 & it still works great. And other than using it for radar when storm chasing, I have no need/desire to use my Android for anything other than making calls.

I only listen to my stereo about once a month now, but those close to 30 year old KEF reference series speakers, & the JBL sub still make beautiful music together.

And speaking of frustration with tech devices, I just bought a new HP printer & had some trouble after set up. What I went through with tech-support was absolutely inexcusable. After being disconnected four times, I gave up.

I figured out the problem myself the following day.

Once upon a time, but now I want plug and play! After 31.5 years as a techno-nerd...

I have a programmable thermostat, a couple of old-style timers running my landscape lights, and a more modern digital timer for a lamp in the living room. None are on the internet of things.

I have some old X10 stuff, mostly relegated to the closet since converting to CFLs (can't use dimmer feature).

I do have wired network ports/cable/phone ports throughout the house, plus wireless. My surround sound receiver is hardwired, but other than testing it, I haven't used that function. My smart TV is not online. I do use bluetooth regularly, to beam music from an iDevice to either the receiver, a portable speaker, or earbuds. [emoji41]

Haven't been able to convince myself of the cost/benefit of security cams, thermostats, etc. Plus, I'm relatively hackproof.

I am into home simplification. Meaning if I don't have to plug something into an outlet or install an accessory that would draw amperage, I don't. This eliminates a lot of those automation devices.

Now, I do have a home theater that I programmed the universal remote control. And the whole system is on a master cut-off controlled by a remote, so when I'm not using it I cut the master power. With the remote programmed, and a windows startup script...along with a feature film script, and some auto-downloaded movie previews its just like you are in the theater.

Otherwise I set the thermostat in the winter down to minimal acceptable temp...and manually raise it when I get cold. Vise versa for A/C.

Oh, I have a garage opener for the garage door, that's super helpful to have automated.

Funny you ask because I am an automation engineer for my day job. I think its the ole adage of "the mechanics car is the last to get fixed".

Of course one of the question is how much are you home. Being home generally 22+ hours a day means a lot of the IOT things are not needed. (I don't have a smart phone either, and my dumb cellphone sits in one place and I don't carry it, since my car has onstar if it breaks down I can call for a tow etc (included with onstar)). I still have CRT based TVs they still work. When I moved got rid of a 35 year old color tv that still worked except for the remote. The crt tvs still work so why replace?

Back
Top Bottom