Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't do it! I understand why you would want to but it's +0 at best and a -100 at worst.

I've seen folks walked out the door, bonus what bonus?, a 70 yo admin who didn't have squat was allowed to work for three months then let go so they wouldn't have to pay out her 4% annual profit sharing! Sick.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Too much riding on the hand dealt to you - play your cards closely...

Old 01-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would keep my powder dry and say nothing.

You may never know what you gave up by providing an early notice. You have nothing to gain by doing this and you could loose something.

When it came to bonus or stock options we would never assign them to people who were leaving. We viewed them as retention incentives not retirement incentives. Why use the money/benefits on those who are leaving?

You never know what is around the corner...a retirement incentive, special stock grant, whatever.

Better to keep your council until you are closer to your required notice date. Loose lips sink ships.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think it all depends on the culture of the employer and your relationship with your boss. I gave many months notice informally and my boss and I jointly agreed on an end date, however the culture of the organization was not one to penalize people (to my knowledge) and the timing of my leaving was good in relation to when bonuses crystallized and were paid so it wasn't an issue for me.

+1

Am not personally familiar with Megacorps, but don't expect that they are all the same. So too, the informal notice to a boss with whom you have a great relationship may not even go up the chain of command.

(FWIW, DW gave her 2+ year notice in May/June, I gave my ~18 months in December. BUT, we are in moderate and tiny sized professional groups where the lead time for replacements tends to be long--although DW has already interviewed her likely replacement....)
Old 01-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I would think that, if you want to benefit from the possible bonus, profit sharing etc, And you don't want to leave your boss hanging, wait till those bonuses are a done deal before giving notice. Give notice of 2-4 weeks. And offer to stay up to another month if they want you to stay. Best of both worlds IMO.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all for your awesome feedback. The POV expressed is decidedly to "Wait" before saying anything, despite that it will leave the boss hanging.

I especially appreciate the perspective to consider what the bosses' boss will want to do, or HR. As much as I would like to do the right thing, I agree that "the rules are there for both sides" and "neither side is wrong for following them." I also appreciated the warning that stock options and bonuses are set up as "retention tools, not retirement incentives."

I wanted to give an informal heads-up, not give a specific day but instead just say sometime this spring/summer. Now I am hesitant to do even that.

Honestly some part of me just wants to exit at this point. By giving him notice, it would start the end-game for me and they can do what they want. That said, what I have at stake is about 4 months salary. I guess I should just wait.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:32 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I would definitely wait. For months' salary is nothing to sneeze at. By sharing your plans too early, that would be at risk. You are doing nothing wrong by holding your cards close to your chest.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in the same situation and I'm waiting. I'm giving 30 days notice required for salaried employees to receive payment for unused vacation. Unfortunately, that is the only carrot I have.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #29

I told my boss after the politics got toxic that I'd leave without filing for unemployment and sign a liability waiver if they "kept me on the payroll" through the end of the next month. Later he asked me when my last day would be; I told him the end of the week.

What they did was very different and I probably should have fought it but I didn't. I was terminated as of my last day in the office, but paid through the agreed-upon date and given a lump sum for COBRA through that period. So, I missed pay for another 1.5 months accrued vacation, missed the company 401(k) match for that period, and had to scramble for COBRA and then "real" insurance.

Definitely keep your cards close to your chest. You have very little to gain and a lot to lose by telling them early.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:59 PM   #30

no good deed goes unpunished
Old 01-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #31

I'll decisively say "it depends."

I got wind of a reorg in my group few months before I was planning on leaving. This was in the summer and I was planning on leaving the following January (pushing some options into the next tax year because of taxes). I let my boss know I was leaving and he was able to make sure I wasn't put into a roll where my leaving would be a problem. It worked out well for them and for me.

That being said, I was fully prepared to leave right then and there when I told them. I didn't expect that it would come to that, but it certainly possible.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets

don't do it

I just FIRE'd on 8/15/15 and gave 6 weeks notice. It was too long! I didn't have any financial incentives on the table, but I was a VP of a department and wanted to give ample time to replace the position. It just drags after they know, and I wish I had given at max 4 weeks. Looking back, I don't think it would have affected them that differently had I only given 4 weeks.

Especially given you have 4 months salary as bonus on the line, I'd say just go about your business and keep doing your job and give notice in accordance with your personnel policies!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:58 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Two questions you should know the answers to:

1. How much notice are you required to give according to the company rules?

2. How much notice would they likely give you if they decided tomorrow to downsize your department?

These situations tend to arise because people such as yourself have a good relationship with their boss and don't want to rock the boat more than necessary. But it's important to remember that this is irrelevant. Long goodbyes are usually hard on everyone.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
..........Long goodbyes are usually hard on everyone.
And once you announce that you are leaving, you become irrelevant and invisible. That makes for some long days.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Company says you need to give minimum 60 days notice (on the first of the month). That said, we are employed "At Will" and aren't legally required to give any notice.

We recently went through layoffs and they gave people 45 days notice to find another role or leave the company.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickernick View Post
Company says you need to give minimum 60 days notice (on the first of the month). That said, we are employed "At Will" and aren't legally required to give any notice.

We recently went through layoffs and they gave people 45 days notice to find another role or leave the company.
Check how much notice you are required to give in order to be paid for accrued leave, etc. We are required to give 2 weeks in order to be paid for accrued vacation time - so 2 weeks it will be for me when the time comes, and not a day more.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Check how much notice you are required to give in order to be paid for accrued leave, etc. We are required to give 2 weeks in order to be paid for accrued vacation time - so 2 weeks it will be for me when the time comes, and not a day more.
That will vary from state to state. In CA they have to pay you accrued vacation time, regardless of the length of notice. My employer was a nat'l employer and HR had to be schooled in that for an employee who gave 1 week notice and they tried to hold back the vacation pay.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #38

Whereas, where I am, the requirement to pay out vacation pay depends on the employer and the way the policy is worded. We have an employee handbook which states that accrued vacation cannot be cashed out, but in practice we all know examples where it was (and where it wasn't). If it were important to me, I would use it before it was at risk of being lost by some detail of how I gave notice.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #39

I gave my boss about a year notice and got penalized. Finally I told them just fire me, I had enough, and that's when they back off.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I gave about 3 months notice to my boss. Seemed like the right thing to do, etc.

It didn't hurt me any, but I don't think it helped the company either. I pretty much continued work as usual for 2 months. Only in the last month did I announce to people I worked with that I was leaving, and that didn't change a whole lot either. It really was only the last week of work that I seriously spent time handing things off etc.

Note that in my case I went on leave of absence instead of quitting since the company thought I might come back. Obviously if they had decided to fire me to keep my remaining options from vesting there's no way I would come back.

If I'd read this thread, I'd probably give 1 month's notice, and maybe even waited until the vesting that I was waiting on had actually happened.