Anyone Penalized For Early Notice?

I gave a standard 2 weeks notice then agreed to stay 3 1/2 weeks after I leverage a few minor things in my favor to stay the extra 1 1/2 weeks. ...

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this:
If giving the recommended minimum notice, say 2 weeks, assuming you are willing to extend that time and stay a little bit longer... what could one expect to be offered as a possible incentive to stay on for an extra period, be it 2 weeks or 2 months, or whatever?

While I still condone doing the 2 week thing (4 tops, and still only if you are ok if they say "make today your last" as is my plan). My husband gave about 5 weeks last year as there were a lot of other departures and he'd be in the position of hiring replacements which would best be done by the new person since his departure was going to be about 3 months at the time.

He offered to stay part time if that meant keeping bonus for year end. He's still there, true part time, still full benefits, and just got extended again.

PT took the stress off but the continued income has helped avoid other stress given the market of late.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this:
If giving the recommended minimum notice, say 2 weeks, assuming you are willing to extend that time and stay a little bit longer... what could one expect to be offered as a possible incentive to stay on for an extra period, be it 2 weeks or 2 months, or whatever?

I gave just 2 weeks notice. My company asked me to stay in a part-time capacity, and we ultimately agreed to to me continuing 2 days/week as a telecommuter. I would not have stayed on if it meant going into the office. I had a strong feeling they would want to keep me in a limited capacity, which frankly was one of (but not only) reasons I gave just 2 weeks notice.
It ended up being a really good deal for me.

Better be clear in whatever written policy you are looking at and fully understand. I've seen bonuses de-allocated up until the day they were to be distributed (regardless of "accrued" or not). Make sure there's no wiggle room between accrued and actually given to you.

+1 While you are entitled to a bonus because you were on payroll as of 12/31/15, the problem is that in my experience most bonus programs create a pool based on some formula and the distribution of the pool to qualifying employees is discretionary based on management's perception of each employee's relative contribution to the firm's success. So while you would be entitled to a bonus and will likely get one, it might be lower than what it woudl be if they think you are staying.

OTOH, if an individual's bonus is based on a formula and the bonus crystallizes on 12.31.2015 then no problem.

I pulled the trigger last week and everything went well. Any sense of risk or retribution were quickly quelled and my boss was appreciative of the extra time to transition ~45 more days. As it turned out, his job got expanded and he will be traveling the next couple weeks. There will probably only be a few weeks we are both in the office over my remaining time. I am still not sure I will work all the way to 4/1, but it doesn't really matter to me anyway.

Glad it went well, Kickernick.

This one is really hitting home now. I planned to give my boss my 30 days notice on March 1. But, he's assigning me a new project that will require several weeks of training by others in my department. I don't what to waste company resources with the training. On my side though, I don't a gap in health insurance. They may not let me work until my planned last day. If they ask me to leave early, I may have a gap in HI.

I also have not received my annual bonus. I should get it any day.

So, right now, I am waiting for my bonus and postponing training.

I pulled the trigger last week and everything went well. Any sense of risk or retribution were quickly quelled and my boss was appreciative of the extra time to transition ~45 more days. As it turned out, his job got expanded and he will be traveling the next couple weeks. There will probably only be a few weeks we are both in the office over my remaining time. I am still not sure I will work all the way to 4/1, but it doesn't really matter to me anyway.

Wonderful! I am so glad everything is working out well. You are on your way, and will be happily retired soon! I love it when things work out so well for someone. :D

As for me, I did not get penalized for early notice, but then I worked for the federal government and had top performance scores, so I suppose I had nearly infinite job security. I gave six months' notice, but would suggest that those working in private industry should be MUCH more cautious than I was.

Also my supervisor was a dear friend and confidante, who had worked shoulder to shoulder with me daily for years and then was promoted to supervisor just a couple of years prior to my retirement. So, she already knew my retirement plans years before she ever became my supervisor. That helped.

Due to retiring in November 2009, I did miss the opportunity to compete for our annual (December) cash performance award. However my supervisor somehow did some magic with my unused leave compensation, giving me more than I expected (from my own computations anyway). That made up for the cash award almost exactly so I do not consider that I was penalized in any way.

This one is really hitting home now. I planned to give my boss my 30 days notice on March 1. But, he's assigning me a new project that will require several weeks of training by others in my department. I don't what to waste company resources with the training. On my side though, I don't a gap in health insurance. They may not let me work until my planned last day. If they ask me to leave early, I may have a gap in HI.

Just act like everything's normal and proceed with the training. The last thing you should be concerned about is wasting company resources. You have to do what's best for you.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Vacation?

Any chance that you could take some kind of PTO on short notice to postpone the training, project, etc.?

Any chance that you could take some kind of PTO on short notice to postpone the training, project, etc.?

No, not really. I want to get paid for that. We get all our vacation on our anniversary date. My anniversary date is next week. I'll give 30 days notice and get paid for all my unused vacation.

This one is really hitting home now. I planned to give my boss my 30 days notice on March 1. But, he's assigning me a new project that will require several weeks of training

You might also consider using this as a very believable "excuse" to follow your plan. After a week of training, you suddenly realize that this project makes you uncomfortable and you've decided to retire instead of jeopardizing the company's plans.

In my case, we had to make a commitment to retire within 10 calendar days at the end of the year two years ago and I pulled the trigger! The conditions became toxic, my boss became unpredictable, fearful and a total jerk so I kept my mouth shut and did not say a word until 10 days before the actual retirement date which was during the Christmas and New Year holiday. I am so glad I bailed out even though it was a short notice. I was offered a chance to chance to change my mind ( no extra compensation) and stay on, but yours-truly was already gone! It felt good to escape the hostile workplace and leave them.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It's so situational dependent. Even though I'm still a few years away from leaving, I'm already planning what's the most optimal time of year and how much notice. For me, it would be after bonuses are paid and stocks vest near the beginning of the year. I'm likely wanting to give two months notice (after critical payment dates pass) but likely willing to stay longer if they want me to help train.

An HR Law column in the business section of a Canadian newspaper I read had some interesting comments around employees giving enough notice. The example they cite is a bit extreme but I think shows a valid point.

It's so situational dependent. Even though I'm still a few years away from leaving, I'm already planning what's the most optimal time of year and how much notice. For me, it would be after bonuses are paid and stocks vest near the beginning of the year. I'm likely wanting to give two months notice (after critical payment dates pass) but likely willing to stay longer if they want me to help train.

An HR Law column in the business section of a Canadian newspaper I read had some interesting comments around employees giving enough notice. The example they cite is a bit extreme but I think shows a valid point.

The article concerns employees leaving to form a competitor company, quite a bit different from leaving to retire.
Retire with 2 weeks notice, or drop dead at work without notice, the first one is easier on the employer. :)

As a follow up, I was able to delay any significant training. I gave my 30 days notice on March 1. And, I got my bonus today.

Congratulations on both counts, InTheSticks!

Then take the bonus and run!...................Good luck! in many cases, the company will be remorseful and miss you for about 36 seconds! Time to move on.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I thought I'd give one more update on this, since a month has passed. Everything has gone SO well. In fact instead of worrying about being penalized, I should have not stressed at all. The last 30 days have been great and my boss has been very supportive - jealous in a good way actually (although he could retire himself any day he wants). Gradually my work calendar has wound down as I transferred projects to people on my team and I am on spring break this week. I am hoping he has a backfill for my job to transition some of the final administrivia to by 4/1. He said he thinks he might have someone lined up by then.

I gave my boss a polite heads up last week that I would like to go down to half time work, plus work from my house in Washington state starting September this year. This was about 5 1/2 months notice. The good news is that he said yes, no problem. The bad news is that he said yes, no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom