Anyone retire without ever owning a Home?

ER Man

Recycles dryer sheets
Did anyone retire without ever owning a Home? Is this a good idea?

What do you think of millionaires who never owned a home?

Let's say you don't have any kids and don't plan to have any.

M'gosh I'm sure there are multi-millions who had a nice retirement without ever owning a home. My father, for one - never made a lot of money, never owned a home, and had a very happy retirement.

M'gosh I'm sure there are multi-millions who had a nice retirement without ever owning a home. My father, for one - never made a lot of money, never owned a home, and had a very happy retirement.

Right. I guess they end up paying cash for a a modest home after retiring and treat it as a disposable item which means it would not matter what the value of the home was as long as they are happy there?

a similar question might be 'how many have retired with no equity in their home' since in the past people have used the equity to downsize and feather their nest egg with the house sale proceeds.

We've been home owners for 20 years (4 different houses) and when we retire there will be almost no equity in our house.

a similar question might be 'how many have retired with no equity in their home' since in the past people have used the equity to downsize and feather their nest egg with the house sale proceeds.

We've been home owners for 20 years (4 different houses) and when we retire there will be almost no equity in our house.

This can mean they bought a home and could be 'underwater'?
Do you think you would have been better off without any of those houses?

This can mean they bought a home and could be 'underwater'?
Do you think you would have been better off without any of those houses?

Financially, probably.

But I have an aversion to renting. I don't want to have to ask to paint a wall or put a nail in the wall to hang pictures. Also, we have two large dogs so renting would be difficult.

How about you?

Do you own a home?

Do you plan to own a home?

Why or why not?

If so, do you plan to downsize at some point, and when?

Do you plan to pay off your mortgage?

What are your thoughts on these matters?

I'd be interested in seeing some contribution to the thread from you, as well. Thanks.

Never owned a home. I am not sure if it will be worth it to own one for investment purposes?

If I did buy a home, it would be around the $125K ballpark price.
I would like to pay down 50% of that amount and then pay the rest off in 10 years or less.

Downsize for what?

Is is worth it to be like 50% down?

How about you?

Do you own a home?

Do you plan to own a home?

Why or why not?

If so, do you plan to downsize at some point, and when?

Do you plan to pay off your mortgage?

What are your thoughts on these matters?

I'd be interested in seeing some contribution to the thread from you, as well. Thanks.

Never owned a home. I am not sure if it will be worth it to own one for investment purposes?
Why not?
Why $125 and not $150?
I would like to pay down 50% of that amount and then pay the rest off in 10 years or less.
Why 50% and not 40% or 60%?
Why 10 years and not 15?
Is it worth it to who, the buyer? The seller?

Downsize for what?

Your thoughts on this make sense to me. To me, a home is not an investment so much as a place to live. I bought an inexpensive home too, and paid it off in 4 years, much as you are suggesting. It's nice to have no mortgage payments or rent in retirement, but owning a home makes it much more difficult to move elsewhere if there are problems selling.

I am Frugal and want to buying a modest home in a modest fairly safe neighborhood.

Any benefits of buying a $150K home?
The quicker you pay the better right?

Keep in mind, I also invest in the stock market.
Whats a good down to put down? Pay all cash?

I would be the buyer.

Why not?

Why $125 and not $150?

Why 50% and not 40% or 60%?
Why 10 years and not 15?

Is it worth it to who, the buyer? The seller?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
:confused:
:cool:

Last edited:
It depends. I think own vs. rent is mostly a lifestyle decision. It can also be a simple choice based on which is cheaper. When I bought my condo in '98, it was a lot cheaper than renting. The house in '02 was about break-even. When we bought this year it is again cheaper than renting.

If you buy, put down the min to get the most favorable rate (20 or 25%). /you will still have the extra cash, so you can de-lever at any time and at current mortgage rates it is a cheap option.

What if I can pull a long term renter and also live in my home?

Well, you will still have 'other' expenses even after the mortgage is paid off.

Your thoughts on this make sense to me. To me, a home is not an investment so much as a place to live. I bought an inexpensive home too, and paid it off in 4 years, much as you are suggesting. It's nice to have no mortgage payments or rent in retirement, but owning a home makes it much more difficult to move elsewhere if there are problems selling.

You have to consider other costs also not just the price of home. 20% down is minimum? 20-25% interest rate?

It depends. I think own vs. rent is mostly a lifestyle decision. It can also be a simple choice based on which is cheaper. When I bought my condo in '98, it was a lot cheaper than renting. The house in '02 was about break-even. When we bought this year it is again cheaper than renting.

If you buy, put down the min to get the most favorable rate (20 or 25%). /you will still have the extra cash, so you can de-lever at any time and at current mortgage rates it is a cheap option.

You have to consider other costs also not just the price of home. 20% down is minimum? 20-25% interest rate?

I did consider all the costs at each juncture. 20 to 25% down is what you need to qualify for the best rates. 30 year fixed mortages are going for a bit over 4% at the moment,

I did consider all the costs at each juncture. 20 to 25% down is what you need to qualify for the best rates. 30 year fixed mortages are going for a bit over 4% at the moment,

Anyway to get like 5 years no interest? I heard people are getting 2.99%.

Suggest that you think of as home as a place to live and not as an investment, particularly in these times. I don't see 2.99% in our area, but a 30 year fixed at 4% is doable. Some of the decision depends on your time horizon as well and the degree of flexibility you need. It is a lot easier to move somewhere else if you rent than to sell.

Compare your costs of principal and interest, property taxes, insurance, maintenance and the lost earnings on your downpayment to what you would pay for rent in making the decision, but don't forget that mortgage interest and property taxes are tax deductible (for now). Best of luck.

Both could be bad decision but you still need a place to live.

The goal for me is to throw away less money in choosing the two overall.
If I continue to rent then the rent will be a lot cheaper and I can continue to use the saved money into my retirements accounts and after-tax brokerage accounts.

I thought the interest rates are based on individual credit not location?

Suggest that you think of as home as a place to live and not as an investment, particularly in these times. I don't see 2.99% in our area, but a 30 year fixed at 4% is doable. Some of the decision depends on your time horizon as well and the degree of flexibility you need. It is a lot easier to move somewhere else if you rent than to sell.

Compare your costs of principal and interest, property taxes, insurance, maintenance and the lost earnings on your downpayment to what you would pay for rent in making the decision, but don't forget that mortgage interest and property taxes are tax deductible (for now). Best of luck.

Of course people have retired without owning homes - many of them. Owning a home is not a prerequisite for retiring.

What do I think of millionaires who never owned a home? I don't quite get the question. They are millionaires who never owned a home - that's all I know about them at this point.

Sorry to be so trite, but to be brief - if your goal is to retire without ever owning a home, that is a very reachable goal.

Both could be bad decision but you still need a place to live.

The goal for me is to throw away less money in choosing the two overall.
If I continue to rent then the rent will be a lot cheaper and I can continue to use the saved money into my retirements accounts and after-tax brokerage accounts.

I thought the interest rates are based on individual credit not location?

I like Alan Turing. Do you?

I like Alan Turing. Do you?
C'mon, guys, I almost snorted pizza out my nose!

I worry that someone would use this technology to triple the board's membership... and number of threads... and number of posters... thereby getting even more advertising revenue.

In fact real contributions from real members would be such a small part of the overall signal/noise ratio as to render their input meaningless.

Last edited:
How come people say that rich people own homes and the poor don't?
I think thats a Myth. You can do very well in the Stock market returns and still become rich.

I agree with you.

Of course people have retired without owning homes - many of them. Owning a home is not a prerequisite for retiring.

What do I think of millionaires who never owned a home? I don't quite get the question. They are millionaires who never owned a home - that's all I know about them at this point.

Sorry to be so trite, but to be brief - if your goal is to retire without ever owning a home, that is a very reachable goal.

Back
Top Bottom