Anyone retire without ever owning a Home?

I know about SNR levels and Db's.

C'mon, guys, I almost snorted pizza out my nose!

I worry that someone would use this technology to triple the board's membership... and number of threads... and number of posters... thereby getting even more advertising revenue.

In fact real contributions from real members would be such a small part of the overall signal/noise ratio as to render their input meaningless.

You have been here almost 10 years. That is a very good dedication. Longest user here?

C'mon, guys, I almost snorted pizza out my nose!

I worry that someone would use this technology to triple the board's membership... and number of threads... and number of posters... thereby getting even more advertising revenue.

In fact real contributions from real members would be such a small part of the overall signal/noise ratio as to render their input meaningless.

220px-AlanTuring-Bletchley.jpg

Indirectly, Turing was very influential in the study of human language. In the late 50s, Noam Chomsky had proposed a theory of human language, transformational grammar, that seemed to hold great promise. But in 1973, a result was published by Peters and Richie
[*] demonstrating that a transformational grammar was equivalent in computational capacity to that of a Turing machine (the characterization of which Alan Turing is most famous for). So, it seemed that attributing to speakers of a human language was in effect to say that humans can understand symbol systems as well as computers. That was generally taken as showing that Chomsky's theory of TG was either wrong or uninteresting, and was an important reason for abandonment of the theory.
[*]Powered by Google Docs

Last edited:
GregLee said:
Indirectly, Turing was very influential in the study of human language. In the late 50s, Noam Chomsky had proposed a theory of human language, transformational grammar, that seemed to hold great promise. But in 1973, a result was published by Peters and Richie
[*] demonstrating that a transformational grammar was equivalent in computational capacity to that of a Turing machine (the characterization of which Alan Turing is most famous for). So, it seemed that attributing to speakers of a human language was in effect to say that humans can understand symbol systems as well as computers. That was generally taken as showing that Chomsky's theory of TG was either wrong or uninteresting, and was an important reason for abandonment of the theory.
[*]Powered by Google Docs

You fail the ability to google test, an equally important one in today's world. :p

I keep thinking about Star Trek - the Changeling episode:

Per Wiki
"Kirk again confronts Nomad and questions its logic of destroying imperfect beings. Kirk tells Nomad that Nomad itself has made a mistake, something only an imperfect being can do. He tells Nomad that its creator is Jackson Roykirk, not himself, and that Nomad is in error. Kirk further notes that Nomad's failure to discover its first error is a second error and further evidence of its imperfection. Finally, Kirk points out that Nomad's delayed immediate-execution in light of these errors is a third error. Realizing the implications of Kirk's reasoning, Nomad is caught in a logic loop, and begins to execute its primary function on itself. The machine begins self-destruction, shaking about in place instead of steadily hovering, its simulated voice rising in pitch. The ultra-logical Mr. Spock, who has been watching this confrontation, compliments Kirk, saying: "Your logic is impeccable, Captain. We are in grave danger." At the last moment, Kirk has Nomad rushed to the transporter room and beamed into space. Seconds after transport an explosion is detected near the Enterprise and Nomad is no more".

or this:

Capt. Kirk talks a robot to death - YouTube

I like turtles.

Back
Top Bottom