Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
I was born lazy. Probably due to my defective work gene.

MJ
This gives me a good answer when I get asked 'Do you get bored?' I have one working buddy that plays with my group once a week and it never fails he will ask that question. The other day it hit me wrong and I replied giving a smart ass response which I regretted later. From now on I will just smile and use MJ's response.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
This gives me a good answer when I get asked 'Do you get bored?' I have one working buddy that plays with my group once a week and it never fails he will ask that question. The other day it hit me wrong and I replied giving a smart ass response which I regretted later. From now on I will just smile and use MJ's response.
Sounds like your buddy is envious. It's a hard concept to grasp -- even for me as I'm still working -- but long weekends remind me that I CAN adjust.

-- Rita

Old 11-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #23

I have been retired now for one and a half years. I was super lazy right after I retired, but, I think most of that was from the loss of my husband. Now I am beginning to get a little back to, what I hope, is normal retirement life. I am finding that I enjoy keeping my house tidy and have a more normal routine going. While I was still working, I always thought that I would NOT be doing house cleaning on weekends since that was always when I HAD to clean house during my working years. But, guess what....the best time for me to clean house is still the weekends. I don't like the crowds during the weekends so I stay home and clean and putter around and I do enjoy myself. During the week, I try to get out a little when the crowds are more manageable. So, right now, I would say I'm not really lazy but just slow. My mind is a nice big blank, it's not spinning like it used to while I was still working. I've slowed down and it really does agree with me.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I fall in the lazier than ever camp. I particularly don't want things that come with responsibility - responsibility to meet a schedule, to achieve defined goals, whatever. I think that is a continuing reaction to my work years. On the other hand I am more physically active than ever. I recently got into cycling and have been increasing the average ride. Still going to the gym regularly. Started waxing the snowboard in anticipation of winter...
Old 11-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

An illustrative update.

In a spasm of "constructive" energy today I started fixing and replacing some rotted parts of the front porch posts & railings. Ended up with a badly bruised pinky from a misguided whammer. Can't play my guitar today.

To hell with it. I am clearly not MEANT to work.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #26

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

Tomorrow never comes.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
This gives me a good answer when I get asked 'Do you get bored?' I have one working buddy that plays with my group once a week and it never fails he will ask that question....
I was often bored at work and have sometimes been bored in retirement. Either way, being retired is much better. I treasure the freedom.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?
No, no, no.....that's not good. Being ER'd, we need to manage our time better than that! We should never say, "Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?". Rather than that, we should say, "Why do today what you can put off until next year?"

We really should have long term goals!
Old 11-18-2007, 10:44 PM   #29

No time to be lazy this year. Maybe next year. We stay busy all day and can't imagine how we ever got anything done when we we working. I know once we downsize and move things will settle down.

Lazy? I don't have time to be lazy!
Old 11-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Lazy? I don't have time to be lazy!
Like most of my grade school teachers used to say to me....."Your just not applying yourself, young man!"

Being (or becoming) lazy takes a lot of effort!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Like most of my grade school teachers used to say to me....."Your just not applying yourself, young man!"

Being (or becoming) lazy takes a lot of effort!
I promise I will try harder!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

You know, I always wanted to be a procrastinator...
Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
Me too, but I was always afraid it would interfere with my nap...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
Me too, but I'll have to put that off until next year. Right now I'm too busy looking over my "To Do" list......from last year. Ahh, the heck with it!! I'll just staple it to this year's list, and look at next year....or maybe in '09.

No use rushing into anything. I vaguely remember part of some old quote about "Only fools rush in..."......and I don't want to be a fool!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Yes!

heh heh heh - er what was the question again?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
I'm probably less physically active than I was pre-retirement, but I feel more creative and mentally stimulated than when I was working. I guess it's because of anxiety reduction.

Oh BTW, I get up at 5am everyday. Not because I have to, it just feels good to start the day at dawn. Anyway, as my wife says, there's plenty of time to sleep after you're dead.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnxpat View Post
Oh BTW, I get up at 5am everyday. Not because I have to, it just feels good to start the day at dawn. Anyway, as my wife says, there's plenty of time to sleep after you're dead.
My Mom always told me to "have a little fun now cuz you'll be dead a long time." Clearly, I took that to heart and "fun hog" is my middle name.

I like what your wife said too. And it's a good point. I have gotten into the habit of keeping late hours and therefore accomplishing little before lunch the next day. I'm printing out your wife's words, in large font, and posting them on the bulletin board right above my monitor. It'll give me something to think about as I settle into the chair here in my office to listen to music and surf the web until the middle of the night.......
Old 11-20-2007, 12:18 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
you bother to breathe? thank god for osmosis. hey, it got me through school.
lol!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I like what your wife said too. And it's a good point. I have gotten into the habit of keeping late hours and therefore accomplishing little before lunch the next day. I'm printing out your wife's words, in large font, and posting them on the bulletin board right above my monitor. It'll give me something to think about as I settle into the chair here in my office to listen to music and surf the web until the middle of the night.......
Thanks, youbet. I showed your response to my wife, and it made her day.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

FIRE was my goal. I'm resting from my accomplishment. Not intending to look for another goal.

As for laziness, I'm the same as before RE. Now I'm just going slower. I don't miss working on chores until dark on Saturday and Sunday evenings, trying to get them all done before the workweek starts.