Because of this forum I am unemployed

Congratulations it's good to hear folks make the change. It only gets better.!

And when people say to you "you're lucky!", we know it wasn't luck. It was hard work that paid off. Congrats, and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Congrats!!! I'm a few days in myself and couldn't be happier or more relaxed!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Congratulations on your retirement. Now, go take a nap!

There will be plenty of time to start cleaning out all those drawers you've been intending to clean for the last few years.

What's nice is you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. It's all on your time frame in the future.

Congrats! Now you need to learn not to use the term unemployed, as that term makes it seem like your are still seeking work.

:dance: And I want to offer a huge thank you !!!

For the first time in 36 years I am not receiving a paycheck. Instead I will use my dividends and investment principal (and in 18 year SSI) to carry me through my remaining life.

Today is day 2 of my retirement. I requested no hoopla so my last day was quiet. I arrrived at the office at 11am, had lunch and chit-chat with colleagues in one of the conference rooms (we ordered in), and left for the last time at 2pm. My ex-coworkers walked me to my car as one of them carried my "box of junk" (mainly a couple of photos and my collection of Happy Meal toys which were my destressors). No fanfare - just a bunch of hugs and smiles.

Yesterday DH and I celebrated by going to a matinee movie (who does that :confused:) and an early dinner at my favorite restaurant on the beach. Today I am set to work on craft projects for Vacation Bible School (another thing I could not have done if I were still w*rking).

It's a little scary giving up the decent sized paycheck, and while I thought this would just feel like vacation it does not. I know that I am free :clap:. I had one fleeting moment where I thought about something that could improve a process at the office and then I laughed maniacally as I realized it is no longer my problem !

Thanks again for the excellent suggestions from the forum which gave me the confidence to take this magical leap !!!

Congrats L&L.

Some of what you wrote is similar to what I went through at the end of my working days back in 2008. I didn't want any big hoopla on my last day, opting out of any big luncheon. Instead, they gave me some cash ($160) they would have spent on the luncheon while my favorite coworker took me out to lunch. I was under some pressure to get done a project I had been working on for over a year, which I barely finished by 4 PM, less than an hour before I split for the last time.

I was working only 2 days a week for over a year before I ERed so it wasn't a big transition from that to not working at all. As for the somewhat small paycheck, I then switched to the monthly dividend from a big bond fund as a replacement to the biweekly paycheck. I had to more carefully plan my cash inflows and outflows as a result but it was no big deal. Seems like you will have to do the same thing.

But the best part of being out of the rat race was NO MORE COMMUTE! :)

No commutes, no deliverables, no deadlines. Just life on your own terms (mostly) and the pursuit of "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. " Congrats!

Sent from my LGL34C using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Congrats! I'm still an ER 'newbie' (about 8 months) but so far, this has been the best 8 months of my life!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

Apologies for the delay in thanking everyone for their congratulations. I haven't had time to go online :LOL:. I've been deeply invested in getting crafts together for VBS. The days are just flying by, completely stress-free ! It's amazing. It really makes all the years of frugal living worthwhile.

My next big "to do" is to move my 401k to Vanguard. And then I need to weed the garden. And after that ........ well, I'll just do what I want, when I want ! "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" indeed !!!

Just so we don't make light of this development - Everyone be aware that this unemployment was EARNED.

Congrats! Now you need to learn not to use the term unemployed, as that term makes it seem like your are still seeking work.

Precisely what I was going to say. "Unemployed" to me means "not working but seeking work". You are not unemployed. You are retired! Own it! :dance:

To the OP, congrats!

What will you do all day? :(
That used to be explained under my screen name: "Full time employment: Posting here". But now that label is something else.

Back
Top Bottom