Best Places to Retire study

Some weird Rx's.
Montrose, MS listed as place to worry about whether your neighbor's yard is better kept?

This is barely a wide spot in the road, with one C store and no more than six houses.

There are retirees and there are retirees .If your a young active retiree in your 50's early 60's it will drive you nuts to live in a retirement area that is mainly older retirees who's main discusion is their health and bowel habits and the health of their neighbors .Trust me been there done that !

I hopes this helps someone out there. It did me...especially the section on Best Places to Retire.
Your Move: Make it Count. - The Top 5 Lists

Then go to: epodunk.com. This will give you the area of the State the city is in, the demographics on age of residents, singles vs. marrieds, housing, educational level of residents and so forth.

Between this Best Places to Retire and finding the city on epodunk.com, you can get a pretty halfway decent idea of the demographics and if the city you are looking up is really for you. Personally, I found this Best Places to Retire pretty helpful, so am passing it on to the board. Hopefully, it assists someone else in their search for Mecca.

Orchidflower

Any of the lists that go by county are of limited utility in certain states. For instance, Delaware has only three counties and Rhode Island has five, so every part of the state makes the list. And for a place like Connecticut, where I live, the eight counties are entirely meaningless. Everything depends on which of the 169 cities, towns or boroughs in which you live. We have incredibly rich suburbs next to incredibly poor cities, and all in the same county.

Any of the lists that go by county are of limited utility in certain states. For instance, Delaware has only three counties and Rhode Island has five, so every part of the state makes the list. And for a place like Connecticut, where I live, the eight counties are entirely meaningless. Everything depends on which of the 169 cities, towns or boroughs in which you live. We have incredibly rich suburbs next to incredibly poor cities, and all in the same county.

The proximity of incredibly poor cities to a tentative retirement location in an incredibly rich suburb, might make the latter considerably less desirable to some people for a number of reasons.

I can see that the situation in Connecticut is very different than in other states, as far as counties go. I was under the impression that CT didn't even have counties at all - - will have to read about that online!

What are the criteria used to rank the top 5 counties?

I also clicked on their "school and Statistics" link and found that many schools with over 50% of the students falls below basic category in reading and math skills.

I've only heard of one town on the list from NY. Of the 4 states I am considering moving to out of 20 towns I've heard of 2.

Silly list

I checked the list for Minnesota, where I live. One of the towns was Hendricks. Not a bad town, but if you moved to the other side of the lake, about a mile, you would be in South Dakota (no income tax!)

I think the lists were computer generated from some unstated criteria that may or may not be important to you.

The proximity of incredibly poor cities to a tentative retirement location in an incredibly rich suburb, might make the latter considerably less desirable to some people for a number of reasons.

I can see that the situation in Connecticut is very different than in other states, as far as counties go. I was under the impression that CT didn't even have counties at all - - will have to read about that online!

In Connecticut, the counties are vestigal. County government was abolished in the 1960's -- now there is just the state government and that of your own town or city.

Best Place to Retire Study

I have never heard of the cities in TEXAS.

I am happy living in West Texas. Yes the mosquitos are big and nasty and I know that some parts of Texas are not that GREAT. But guess what for those of us that return it is a choice. As some of the posts say it is nice to have someone to talk with or in some cases a shoulder to cry on. Living in a place where you do not know anyone could be hard if one was to get sick, be in the hospital, lose their home, etc.., etc....
GOD BLESS:smitten:

I have never heard of the cities in TEXAS.

I am happy living in West Texas. Yes the mosquitos are big and nasty and I know that some parts of Texas are not that GREAT. But guess what for those of us that return it is a choice.

I really enjoyed living in College Station some years ago. Texas is beautiful (for example, the wildflowers along the freeways near Austin are unforgettable!) and many/most Texans are great, salt of the earth, realistic and unassuming people that I can easily relate to. Sky high property taxes and the relentless, scorching summer heat are reasons why I probably will not retire there, but I can sure see why you like it there.

As some of the posts say it is nice to have someone to talk with or in some cases a shoulder to cry on. Living in a place where you do not know anyone could be hard if one was to get sick, be in the hospital, lose their home, etc.., etc....

It's nice to have "roots", and I wish I had them like you do. Never have, since life just hasn't worked out that way for me. Moving to a place where you do not know anyone, you really have to leave your complacency behind and exercise your skills in reaching out and making new friends. I have moved to locations where I knew no one many times, even after I was 50. Although I am normally an introvert, I know that shyness is a luxury I cannot afford when I am new in a community. Maybe I don't FEEL like being a "joiner" and spending a lot of time outside of my house, but it is necessary to be around people to get to know them.

I have experienced all the scenarios you fear - - being sick, in the hospital, losing my home, needing a shoulder to cry on, etc, while living in a community where I knew nobody. I was even pregnant with my only daughter in such a situation (my ex was in the Navy and on Westpac at the time, leaving me pregnant in a dubious part of San Diego two weeks after we got there). These experiences are not pleasant, but also (believe me) they are not the end of the world! Ultimately they bring you a certain self reliance and strength that you may not know you had. Also they are very temporary - - being in a new location for a few months, if you have made some effort you will have a few new friends so this is really an issue for the first few months after moving.

One of my great lifetime desires is to someday, live in a place where I have long time roots like "other people". I am nearly at that point in Louisiana, where I have lived for 11+ years, and where I have made herculean efforts to learn about the community and find my place here. While I really DO understand your feelings and why you say these things, I also do not feel constrained by the same issues.

I have only heard of one of the "towns" in Louisiana. Arabi is actually a neighborhood contiguous with the lower ninth ward of New Orleans, and though it was once nicer, the Arabi of recent years is not my idea of a very good neighborhood - - I would not choose to live there, anyway! Still, I think the list is fascinating and broadens one's thinking.

Last edited:
I guess we all vote to kick this list I put up to the curb, eh? Bad choice to post it on my part. Please forgive me for having bad judgment. Mea culpa.

Orchidflower

I guess we all vote to kick this list I put up to the curb, eh? Bad choice to post it on my part. Please forgive me for having bad judgment. Mea culpa.

Orchidflower

I thought it was very interesting!!! Thanks for posting it.

Any of us can go to CNN.com or other sources to get the conventional lists (Asheville NC, Naples FL, etc etc)(yawn!). To me, this list was much more interesting than that. We NEED to expand our horizons, y'know? Maybe I won't consider Arabi, but it got me to thinking out of the box and maybe somebody will find their dream location from this list. Thanks again.

Orchidflower

Orchidflower, I'm glad you posted it. It really gives a person an idea of what just numbers can produce (computer generated?) instead of real people. The list was very interesting.

Best Places to Retire Study

It's nice to have "roots", and I wish I had them like you do. Never have, since life just hasn't worked out that way for me. Moving to a place where you do not know anyone, you really have to leave your complacency behind and exercise your skills in reaching out and making new friends. I have moved to locations where I knew no one many times, even after I was 50. Although I am normally an introvert, I know that shyness is a luxury I cannot afford when I am new in a community. Maybe I don't FEEL like being a "joiner" and spending a lot of time outside of my house, but it is necessary to be around people to get to know them.

I have experienced all the scenarios you fear - - being sick, in the hospital, losing my home, needing a shoulder to cry on, etc, while living in a community where I knew nobody. I was even pregnant with my only daughter in such a situation (my ex was in the Navy and on Westpac at the time, leaving me pregnant in a dubious part of San Diego two weeks after we got there). These experiences are not pleasant, but also (believe me) they are not the end of the world! Ultimately they bring you a certain self reliance and strength that you may not know you had. Also they are very temporary - - being in a new location for a few months, if you have made some effort you will have a few new friends so this is really an issue for the first few months after moving.

One of my great lifetime desires is to someday, live in a place where I have long time roots like "other people". I am nearly at that point in Louisiana, where I have lived for 11+ years, and where I have made herculean efforts to learn about the community and find my place here. While I really DO understand your feelings and why you say these things, I also do not feel constrained by the same issues.

---------------------------- --------------------------------- ----------
I left Texas in the late 70's and I entered the military and then (after I left the military) I worked for the government. During almost 27 years plus of service I traveled and lived all over the world. Thus it was hard to really have a place to call home. The things that I brought up were all based on my experiences from being away from home/TEXAS, and my family, and never having a place of our own.

In early 2006 I retired at the age of 48. We moved from NJ to TX for the purpose of taking care of my parents and grandmother. Unfortunately my mother died the day that I left NJ. Now my wife, my kids and I look out for and take care of my father and grandmother. We spend most of our time doing things with the kids, attending school activities, doing charity work and participating in church events.

Living in a small West Texas town is wonderful and being close to family is the greatest gift that I could give to my children. I am also within 150 miles of my older daughters and my grandchildren. Most of the people that I grew up with have moved but I am making friends and becoming aquainted with their parents and relatives. This is a little hard to do because I to am a shy person.

I have read some of your other posts in these forums and you sound like a wonderful person. You have alot to offer this world and I hope that where ever you end putting roots down, that the community will know just how lucky they are to have you.
GOD BLESS and GOOD LUCK :smitten:

---------------------------- --------------------------------- ----------
I left Texas in the late 70's and I entered the military and then (after I left the military) I worked for the government. During almost 27 years plus of service I traveled and lived all over the world. Thus it was hard to really have a place to call home. The things that I brought up were all based on my experiences from being away from home/TEXAS, and my family, and never having a place of our own.

In early 2006 I retired at the age of 48. We moved from NJ to TX for the purpose of taking care of my parents and grandmother. Unfortunately my mother died the day that I left NJ. Now my wife, my kids and I look out for and take care of my father and grandmother. We spend most of our time doing things with the kids, attending school activities, doing charity work and participating in church events.

Living in a small West Texas town is wonderful and being close to family is the greatest gift that I could give to my children. I am also within 150 miles of my older daughters and my grandchildren. Most of the people that I grew up with have moved but I am making friends and becoming aquainted with their parents and relatives. This is a little hard to do because I to am a shy person.

It sounds like we have more in common than I thought, when it comes to having to move a lot and being shy. You knew exactly what I was talking about, didn't you! :) And yes, living where you do, with family nearby, is a wonderful gift for your children.

I have read some of your other posts in these forums and you sound like a wonderful person. You have alot to offer this world and I hope that where ever you end putting roots down, that the community will know just how lucky they are to have you.
GOD BLESS and GOOD LUCK :smitten:

Thank you so much! You sound pretty terrific yourself. I am thinking of probably moving to Springfield, Missouri but I am still looking at places (ruled out Huntsville, Alabama last week) and now and then I start to waffle about moving at all. I probably will though, to seek a healthier, happier, and longer retirement than I might find here.

I did think the list was somewhat different, and that is why I posted it. I was hoping someone would maybe get an idea from one of the places...maybe not, but worth a look...just maybe:confused:?
I am looking for the obscure information other than Money magazines Best Places lists, because everyone sees them and then zip! the real estate prices have gone up every time and quickly. By the time I can get there, I can't afford the place anymore.
Other than travel/live in SE Asia, Central America and S. America for some time, I have no idea what city or State I will finally settle in yet (other than a tax free or low income tax one). Keeping an open mind, but still looking to make a plan and work it when the time comes that I am thru eldercaring my aging parent. There are a few of us on this board still looking I think.

Orchidflower, yes there are a lot of us still looking for a retirement location. What constantly amazes me, is that we aren't all looking for the same type of place. The last thing I would want to do is to move the same place to retire as every other boomer. There are a certain number that will run to the Money Mag. places like lemmings, leaving the rest of this beautiful country for the rest of us! :)

We are not yet sure about what city or state either... we just have them in order, and right now Springfield is on the top. We are also interested in seeing Fayetteville, Arkansas and maybe some places in other states.

I have personally not read anything bad about Springfield, Mo. My only problem with the area was the high State income tax on investments. Other than that, the area really sounds ideal with lots of friendly, caring folks, low utility bills and fun in Branson close by. I can't see where you would go wrong there myself.

Thanks orchid Flower ,
I reread the list today. I found it interesting that three of the best places in Pa. to find a bargain is where I grew up .Fun place to grow up but to live there now BORING !!

Youbet: What does your dots and dashes say at the bottom of your posts? Just curious if you do not mind revealing.

As dessert mentioned, it's Morse Code for F-I-R-E. Despite code no longer being a requirement for either amateur or commercial FCC radio operator licenses, it continues to be popular as a means of communications over the airwaves. I have a collection of telegraph keys which are not only fun to look at, but I use them to chat with other radio operators around the world using equipment I primarily build myself.

Now FIRE'd, I have a lot more time for this kind of stuff! :D

Youbet, ...also "extra class" myself but currently inactive. Maybe one day start up again. My favorite was code.

I blow hot and cold on this. I love the Pacific Northwest. I hope that we can afford to live here when I ain't bringing in the big bux anymore. A lot depends on whether or not we pay off our debts (kids' college, etc.) by then.

If not, I will settle for a view of the Pacific hanging off some other part of the Pacific Ring of Fire. If I can't get that, the new place better be a heck of a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom