Join Early Retirement Today

Boomers's Biggest Regret?
Old 05-15-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm readying this...
Boomers' Biggest Retirement Regret? They Didnít Work Longer

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13152984/1/boomers-biggest-retirement-regret-they-didnt-work-longer.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

According to a study by Bankers Life 69% of already retired say they would have liked to work longer. And that 6 in 10 say they work for non financial reasons...this is really messing with my OMY syndrome!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I are late boomers (we've always felt wrongly categorized!). This will not be our biggest regret. :-)

Old 05-15-2015, 11:15 PM   #3

My company overreacted to the economic conditions of 2008, and they essentially retired all employees over the age of 55. Got paid a year's severance pay, 5 weeks vacation, a pay supplement until age 62 and ability to buy their great retiree insurance until Medicare kicks in--and use their retiree supplement. I didn't mind getting unemployment for almost 2 years.

I was 58 1/2 years old--perfect timing. That was 6 1/2 years ago. Thankfully I've got substantially more in my IRA rollover accounts than I had 6 1/2 years ago from playing the stock market moderately.

I have no regrets. Really didn't have time to work anyway.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:46 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

My regrets: I should have retired sooner.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #5

I think it's a waste of life when people have spent 50+ years on the planet and have absolutely nothing to fill their days with other than work.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
Administrator

I was talking to a colleague yesterday about retirement plans. She is 58 and has twin 13 year old daughters. She said "well, I have to get them through high school and college, so that's 8 more years, at least. But I'm not sure I want to retire even then. What would I do? You have to do something." My reply was "I'm pretty good at goofing off, so I think I'll just do that."
Old 05-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am 58 and retired from part-time consulting work 3 years ago. The work content was as interesting as could be, and the pay was good. But the people for whom I worked took all the fun out of it. And then, a bout with serious illness shortly thereafter - I am OK now - took away all second thoughts about leaving the work that I had enjoyed all my life.

PS. I would not say I could have retired earlier. If I did, my financial situation would not be the same, and besides I was still enjoying doing the work.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
According to a study by Bankers Life 69% of already retired say they would have liked to work longer. And that 6 in 10 say they work for non financial reasons...this is really messing with my OMY syndrome!
The article also says this:
While boomers may want to work in retirement, most retired boomers (72%) aren’t working at all. And half of those who don't work would like to have a job but can't get one, mostly due to health issues.

It seems to me people who have health problems but still want to work must do so due to financial necessity.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'm just outside of the "Boomer year band" (older) and have no regrets about the past decisions, many of which had unintended consequences. My biggest challenge is making the right decisions going forward.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Your attitude is right about the proverbial water under the bridge.

And looking ahead, none of my future decisions are really that important to cause later regrets, such as whether I should drive my motorhome to Alaska or not.

Well, maybe I would regret it if I get chased by a grizzly, or even a moose, but the thing to do would be to take precautions to prevent that from happening.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

What is this w*rkin' in retirement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The article also says this:
I found a link that includes a another link to the actual survey report:

Reality Bites for Boomers Unable to Work in Retirement, New Study Unveils<CNO.N> | Reuters

In it, the survey defines "Who is retired? Respondents to the survey self-identified as retired or nonretired, regardless of their work status".

What defines "retired" when are you "w*rking in retirement"?

I'm self a employed consultant and have been since early-mid 1990's...for any of the past +1,000 weeks when I billed under 40 hours...was I really already RE??????

We don't need no frik'ng... "w*rking in retirement right"?
Old 05-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

T

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm just outside of the "Boomer year band" (older) and have no regrets about the past decisions, many of which had unintended consequences. My biggest challenge is making the right decisions going forward.
This is my attitude also. Regrets are just a bad habit of mind. Very likely the same people would also regret having made the different decision.

Ha
Old 05-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
My regrets: I should have retired sooner.
Ditto and my biggest regret as well.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I was talking to a colleague yesterday about retirement plans. She is 58 and has twin 13 year old daughters. She said "well, I have to get them through high school and college, so that's 8 more years, at least. But I'm not sure I want to retire even then. What would I do? You have to do something." My reply was "I'm pretty good at goofing off, so I think I'll just do that."
I don't understand these people either. But instead of the 'goofing off' reference (though I'm pretty good at that as well), I just say "Wouldn't you rather decide what you do for the day, instead of letting someone else dicate that? You don't let others decide what you eat, or wear or watch on TV, or what music to listen to, do you?"

Yep, I don't get it. And I know someone like this, actually told me his boss aggravates the heck out of him. Yet, he also says he has the means to retire, but what would he do? He either lacks imagination to an extreme degree, or it's a cover-up for something else (like not really having the finances).

-ERD50
Old 05-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yep, I don't get it. And I know someone like this, actually told me his boss aggravates the heck out of him. Yet, he also says he has the means to retire, but what would he do? He either lacks imagination to an extreme degree, or it's a cover-up for something else (like not really having the finances).
Retirement is a great option for many, it's unfortunate that most people (eventually) don't derive satisfaction/enjoy their jobs/careers. But it's interesting how often members here post assuming there's something wrong with anyone who chooses work over retirement. Some people would just rather work, doesn't necessarily mean they 'lack imagination to an extreme degree' at all...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:45 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Retirement is a great option for many people, it's unfortunate that most people (eventually) don't derive satisfaction/enjoy their jobs/careers. But it's interesting how often members here post assuming work is the worst option for everyone. It's not...
You find that assumption interesting on an early retirement website? Interesting.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:45 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe you don't feel like retiring? If you like your work and are not looking forward to different activities in retirement why not just continue working? I understand people wishing they were still working if retirement wasn't actually a decision (e.g. health problems or layoff drove them out) but our polls show the vast majority of folks here who actively choose ER do not regret the decision.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:48 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You find that assumption interesting on an early retirement website? Interesting.
In general, no of course. But 'something wrong with anyone with a different POV,' yes...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
the survey defines "Who is retired? Respondents to the survey self-identified as retired or nonretired, regardless of their work status".
New Expectations, New Rewards: Work in Retirement for Middle-Income Boomers

Here is a better link to the actual study. Looking over it a little more it appears that they surveyed people who were 1) middle income - household income between $25K and 100K, and have less than $1M in investable assets...and were 2) born between 1946 and 1964. Seems like a huge spread on the income part.

You could self identify as retired or nonretired regardless if you were working or not which seems to means everybody in the study that fit into 1 and 2 above.

Per the study...48% of mid income boomers consider themselves retired or semi-retired. For the mid income boomers who consider themselves retired almost 1 in 10 are currently employed (seems like semi retirement unless the pay is very low and they just want something to do?).

Some of the findings do point to a good % of people that do want to continue to work but not so much for the money.

A section lays out implications for employers. Overall the results of the study are well presented.