Active duty 19 years, big decision ahead

Hello everyone. Just want to say I am so thankful for the responses. I read every one of them during my short breaks today. I am going to set some time aside to answer some of the common questions and feedback. Thank you again, it really means a lot. I have a lot to think on.

P.S. Yes I am a MSgt (someone made a little joke earlier about 1stSgt :)

Not much to add, but assuming you got picked up and pinned E-9 at 20 and then retired at 24, the difference from E-8 at 20 and E-9 at 24 is only $1300ish or $790ish monthly in 60% High 3 money. All before tax.

You could very likely make this up in a job better suited for a happy you/family.

I'm at >26 E-9 myself and will likely retire somewhere between 28 and 29. I stayed past 20 as I enjoyed my job, got selected for E-9 at 19, had no family to care about, and figured I would just take this whole Army thing a few more years and see where it went. I am now in one of two of my most enjoyable jobs since I joined. If I had something/someone tugging me towards a civilian career or lifestyle, I would have bailed long ago.

Here's a perspective from someone who got downsized (army) at the end of the cold war (with a decent package) at the 15 year mark. I did another 15 in the reserves, and it was both personally and professionally very rewarding. Exited AD E-6/Reserves E8.
My civilian career was in supply chain and became very lucrative as I progressed.

In any case, you are in great shape. Like a few others have said a little differently; go with your heart and chase your dreams. The money will take care of itself.

Thanks for your service and happy trails!

Welcome aboard. Others have far more experience than I and will be a better source of information. I just wanted to question one of the assumptions in your initial post -- that if you retired from the Marine Corps now, you could move to be closer to your children. Is that 100% certain? When my father retired from the Navy as an E-7 at 20 years, we moved to where he could get a civilian job, which was also later the case for me when I left the Navy (after only 5 years). If you will be dependent at all on civilian employment, you may not in fact be able to move closer to your children.

I did 21 yrs and while the transition to the outside can be stressful you will know when it is time. It’s been 7yrs now and I can’t tell you anything the military is doing. Proud of my time would do it again in a heartbeat but moved on to a new chapter. It has been great being able to be with the kids during the teen years.

Great advice on this thread. It came down to this for me. Shadow Box on the wall of what a great military career I had or enjoy DW and kids. The baseball games as well as other family events priceless.
Sounds like you’ve had a great career already. You got to ask yourself is the sacrifice worth the next rank and multipliers. Logistics is a great skill to have for civilian employment. You will have the medical which is huge and the pension. Go have fun with your wife and kids.

I ret 22yrs AF.

Semper Fi! I was in a very similar situation as you except I did not have 20 in yet when ex and I split. I chose to stay in the Corps and moved all over the world missing the majority of my daughters' preteen and teen years. We are not very close now, although I have tried. I loved the Corps, but I missed so much. Remember; God, family, Corps. I put the Corps above my kids. You've got a great option with number 2. Take it and be with your kids. And, thank you for your service. You've done enough.

OP, just piling on at this point because you have received numerous outstanding pieces of advice/stories. Here is mine: PCS orders across country at the 19 year mark with two kids in H.S. DS entering his junior year and DD entering her freshman year. Promoted to O-4 at 19.5 years in (Mustang). Worked out well. Extended on station for one extra year which gave me 3.5 years as a Major. Attended DD H.S. graduation and took the uniform off two weeks later. Had a ton of terminal leave and walked into a civilian contractor job paying large. Five years in and only an occasional what if. Last week I attended a COC ceremony for two friends. I looked at all of the places they have had to be/go since I retired. Definitely not worth it for me. DW retired(CWO4) at 21 years just before I did. She went the government route and has 6 years towards her second pension check. Best of luck Leather Neck and thanks for your service.

My wife and I together served 44 years USN. We were blessed in the fact that we were able to be with our children throughout our military careers. It would have been nice for me to stay longer, get promoted, and increase that pension.........but NOTHING beats being able to kiss your kids good night! Thank you for your service. You will make the right decision.

Mike

My hat is truly off to you for.the sacrifices.you have made in the last 19 years.

I also think of your brothers and sisters that put in 10-12 years of their lives and many deployments with The Corps only to not be offered to re-up. I have 3 friends that intended to make the Marines a career in that situation...They are in their mid 30's--and two have serious back issues.

I also think of the 550 Army majors that are no longer in the service--politics. It is hard to develop a command structure with few ready to be colonels and general officers.a

I'm just glad to have guys like you watching the backs of the free world.

My hat is truly off to you for.the sacrifices.you have made in the last 19 years.

I also think of your brothers and sisters that put in 10-12 years of their lives and many deployments with The Corps only to not be offered to re-up. I have 3 friends that intended to make the Marines a career in that situation...They are in their mid 30's--and two have serious back issues.

I also think of the 550 Army majors that are no longer in the service--politics. It is hard to develop a command structure with few ready to be colonels and general officers.a

I'm just glad to have guys like you watching the backs of the free world.
This not directly related to OP, but has anybody heard from Jarhead? He was a Marine who used to post here years ago. Big golfer, living in California. Hope he's still alive.

Go for it. Drop papers now, sign up for TAP class (I think they call it Transition GPS now), and start making trips to Medical. Your last year will be the longest freaking year of your life, believe that. File a VA claim, appeal and denials, appeal any of those denials. Adjudication of disabilities through VA is a marathon, not a sprint. Print a copy of the index for compensated service connected disabilities. Go through the list with a highlighter and identify if you are affected by any of them. After twenty years as a marine, I promise you that you have some service connected disabilities. Identify them and get them in your record!!! Find a veterans service organization to help you submit your VA claim. DW and I used the DAV. The claims process and your exit should be a priority for your last year. You have worked yourself to the bone for the preponderance of your adult life supporting and defending the constitution, the nation, and her people's. It is time for you to take a year, and get yourself looked after. Dont let your CoC make you feel bad about it either. You are entitled to take care of your admin, finally. Time to take care of you, Green Thing!!!

I have no experience with military benefits, but I can tell you that the labor market is extremely tight- making for a good opportunity right now for job switchers- no telling what the opportunity will be like later. You may not have to be exactly qualified to get a job now- there aren't enough qualified applicants. You may not NEED a graduate degree, and keep in mind that there are lots of employers who will pay for one, if that will save your GI bill benefit for your kids.

Re- your kids- you can't get this time back. You are in great financial shape. If you have the opportunity to be near them while they are young, I would do it.

Lots of great advice so far. I just retired after 28 years Navy. I'd say you should have an option between retire at 20 and stick around til 30. In your shoes, I'd take another set of orders, transfer GI bill to your kids (imposes a 4 year payback if you haven't done it yet), make E9 and retire at 24 or 25 years for good.

Haven't seen Nords yet, but he'd tell you to stay while you are having fun and punch the minute it isn't fun anymore. Especially after you've hit 20.

Thanks for your service!

If you are going for pensions.... then another job that has one might be better... one of my sisters worked for a company at a university that had a Colonel.... the work he was doing was the THIRD job that had a decent pension attached...

My sister said everybody called him the triple dipper...

The one thing that I always wondered is if he had stayed all those years in the military what would his total pension be? Would it be more than the 3 combined? I have no idea...

FWiW I have been there at 21 Years Army. Would have left at 20 but had a 2 year Lock In for promotion. Tough decision for sure but one I made 39+ years ago and have not regretted it yet. When you enter the service as teenager, work hard for 20 plus years it just seems there is more to life - more military service or something else. You have the opportunity to pick either way. My suggestion is if you decide to leave and assuming you can, line up a post-retirement job BEFORE you leave.

Thanks to JDarnell and everyone else for letting me know about this thread!

It looks like this discussion has brought out most of the forum's servicemembers & vets. Impressive.

Haven't seen Nords yet, but he'd tell you to stay while you are having fun and punch the minute it isn't fun anymore. Especially after you've hit 20.
Most of you already know my bottom line. Let's just say that I was never awarded the Retention Team Merit Badge by any of my COs or XOs.

I feel like my heart is saying it’s time to leave the service but my mind, when I do the numbers say to stick it out. I have been fortunate to have made it to where I am rank wise, not an Officer but an E8 and will most likely pick up E9 which will be a nice pay rise. I bring home about $70k after taxes a year, I am not taxed any state. I do my job well, people look up to me and I like mentoring Marines while getting the mission done. I have learned in my life that when I go through tough times, I always look back with fondness that I grew as a person. I don’t want to get out and then at the 24, 26 or 30 year mark and think, “man, I wish I would have stayed in” or vice versa “I wish I would of retired earlier”. Mentally, the job wears me out. There is a lot of stress and the political correctness if taking its toll. Politically, I have changed since I was 18 as well. The political correctness, lazy individuals and bureaucratic red tape annoys me but I am sure that happens everywhere to some extent.
One of the biggest concerns I have, is my children. They are both pre-teens and if I stay in I would be missing out on their lives (They live with the ex). I feel I have been missing out already but I feel like I would be turning my back on them because I have a chance to move closer to them if I retired. There is no drama with my ex and my wife loves the children as her own. I pay a reasonable amount for child support and I would like to continue supporting them as they grow older and decide to go to school and whatnot. If I still can, I am looking at transferring my GI Bill to them. That’s an option if I stay in.
I know this is a decision I will ultimately have to make. Just looking for some wisdom. Is there anyone here that stuck it out past 20 years and was it worth it? Any regrets? I am still young, and worked so hard to get where I am. I am physically able to handle the PT test etc. but I am getting slower and things are hurting more as I get older :)

COA 1: Stay in and continue to serve for as long as possible past 20, save and invest as usual. Increase in pay, promotion to E9. Potentially retire for good at 48 with $900k net worth with approximately $70k a year in pension (includes $1k a month for disability).

COA 2: Retire at 20, move closer to the kids. Go back to school to work on masters on the GI Bill with an allowance of $1500 a month on top of retirement and disability (Roughly $4500 a month). Get a job in logistics, work until 50, and retire for good.

COA 3: Retire at 20 and join the civilian workforce until 50.

Thanks for any advice.
RatherB, focus your attention on the right numbers. As HawkeyeNFO says, you can always get more dollars outside of the Marine Corps. You can't get more time.

My generic advice is "Stay on active duty as long as it's challenging & fulfilling, but when the fun stops then it's time to leave active duty. *

You probably keenly appreciate the corollary of "There will be no doubt in your mind when the fun has stopped."

You're doing a good thought exercise to try to imagine how you'll feel 10 years from now. In my case, it's "Man, I'm glad I retired the minute I could." I would not trade anything for the last 16 years of family time and personal goals. I did everything I needed to do in the submarine force, and if I have a horrible surfing accident tomorrow my last thought would be that I've finally almost achieved work-life balance and made the best use of all that time in the water.

On your COAs:
1. In addition to your own feelings, consider how your fellow Marines would feel about having a grumpy E-9 leader. Do you really want to see your caricature on Terminal Lance for the next decade? You have plenty of human capital, and employers want the skills you have in your work ethics, crisis response, and life experience. They want people who don't freak out under pressure. They can train you on the rest of their corporate skills.

2. If you're planning to enjoy the GI Bill's BAH while you get a master's, then you'll have fun. If you're getting a master's because you think you need one, then let your employer make that decision. As Gumby advises, you're already limiting your bridge-career search on proximity to your kids. Maybe it's better to network the heck out of the job market and then (once you're employed) ask them what type of advanced certifications you should pursue. Instead of a logistics or finance MBA you may opt for Lean Six Sigma or Project Management Professional certifications.

Along those lines, if you haven't already, I recommend joining Linkedin's Veteran Mentor Network group (https://www.linkedin.com/groups/4466143) and reading the book "The 2-Hour Job Search". You'll quickly realize how much human capital you have, and how much employers will be willing to pay for your potential. Then you can network the heck out of your chosen occupation's contacts for informational interviews, while tapping your leatherneck network for referrals.

3. Sounds like a great plan.

Doesn't @nords say if you want to eject that you can go to the Guard? And that is a nice way to end your career. That might allow you to be close to your kids but still rack up service time
* To be annoyingly technically correct, my advice to transfer to the Reserve/Guard generally applies up to the point of 18 years (when federal law guarantees being allowed to stay to retirement). After reaching 18 it usually makes more sense to stay on active duty to 20, take the active-duty pension, and just consider a traditional bridge career. Of course if a servicemember reaches FI before that 20 (as more do these days) then they have lots of choices.

Or if the next set of orders at 18 is absolutely out of the question then the Reserves/Guard works just fine. I know one servicemember who left active duty at 19.5 years because their priorities put family higher than career, while the assignment officer was playing billet hardball. In both of those situations, the servicemember was already financially independent. Lots of choices.
http://the-military-guide.com/dont-gut-20-leave-active-duty-reserves-national-guard/

This not directly related to OP, but has anybody heard from Jarhead? He was a Marine who used to post here years ago. Big golfer, living in California. Hope he's still alive.
I'm not sure whether REWahoo! has ever reconnected with him, but I fear that Jarhead may no longer be with us.

You have gotten lots of advice, and there is not much I can add. I was AF for 20 years. I retired in 87. What I can tell you, is, the extra 5% or so I would have earned by staying another two years, means nothing to us today. I got out got on with other jobs, mounted up multiple retirement checks. My retirement, plus SS, covers all our expenses with almost $20,000 to spare. (I figure my AF retirement about what you would get now) Our home is paid off, but that not moving as often as we did in the AF contributed greatly to that.

In the end the Corps, like the Air Force is a job. It will get done weather you are there are not. My first thought was to say follow you heart. If you like what you are doing, keep doing it. Then you through in KIDS. When I left the service, I chose not to go with the airlines so I could be home more. I am envious of the flight beanies that those that went that route have, but I would never give up my relationship I have with my kids.

Good luck, life wil be great which ever way you go.

Been there ...some questions:

Do you love the Corps more than something else you might want to do?

Do you want to make more money than you could in the Corps?

Do you you want to live somewhere you can’t in the Corps?

What does your spouse want to do?

Hello all. I am at a crossroad with a pretty big decision to make that seems impossible to make my mind up. I am active duty military, Marine Corps, have 19 years in. I am trying to decide to retire at 20 or stay in and do some more years. Each year is a 2.5% increase in pension which caps out at 75% base pay at 30 years. I am supposed to decide this week. Been dealing with going back and forth for the past year.

I have saved and invested since I was 23, wish I would have started sooner. I would have more in savings/investments but got divorced in 2010. I am 37 years old, I have no debt, a college degree and $220k in TSP/Roth IRA with six months of living expenses in a savings account. I continue to save my money like clockwork. I am remarried and she works, has the same outlook as mine. We will not be having children. I have two kids from my previous marriage. I have a background in Supply Chain logistics and have a lot of skills that will transfer to the civilian sector. She is almost done with her accounting degree and has a great job here.

I have always lived below my means, bought used cars, paid them off, not an extravagant lifestyle but I enjoy my life all the same. My ultimate goal is to retire early. I grew up poor, on welfare and didn’t have too many options growing up but feel I have done well for myself.

I feel like my heart is saying it’s time to leave the service but my mind, when I do the numbers say to stick it out. I have been fortunate to have made it to where I am rank wise, not an Officer but an E8 and will most likely pick up E9 which will be a nice pay rise. I bring home about $70k after taxes a year, I am not taxed any state. I do my job well, people look up to me and I like mentoring Marines while getting the mission done. I have learned in my life that when I go through tough times, I always look back with fondness that I grew as a person. I don’t want to get out and then at the 24, 26 or 30 year mark and think, “man, I wish I would have stayed in” or vice versa “I wish I would of retired earlier”. Mentally, the job wears me out. There is a lot of stress and the political correctness if taking its toll. Politically, I have changed since I was 18 as well. The political correctness, lazy individuals and bureaucratic red tape annoys me but I am sure that happens everywhere to some extent.

If I do stay in, I will have orders this December which would be nice. The command climate is not that great were I am at and I feel like I am ready for a change of scenary.

One of the biggest concerns I have, is my children. They are both pre-teens and if I stay in I would be missing out on their lives (They live with the ex). I feel I have been missing out already but I feel like I would be turning my back on them because I have a chance to move closer to them if I retired. There is no drama with my ex and my wife loves the children as her own. I pay a reasonable amount for child support and I would like to continue supporting them as they grow older and decide to go to school and whatnot. If I still can, I am looking at transferring my GI Bill to them. That’s an option if I stay in.

I know this is a decision I will ultimately have to make. Just looking for some wisdom. Is there anyone here that stuck it out past 20 years and was it worth it? Any regrets? I am still young, and worked so hard to get where I am. I am physically able to handle the PT test etc. but I am getting slower and things are hurting more as I get older :)

COA 1: Stay in and continue to serve for as long as possible past 20, save and invest as usual. Increase in pay, promotion to E9. Potentially retire for good at 48 with $900k net worth with approximately $70k a year in pension (includes $1k a month for disability).

COA 2: Retire at 20, move closer to the kids. Go back to school to work on masters on the GI Bill with an allowance of $1500 a month on top of retirement and disability (Roughly $4500 a month). Get a job in logistics, work until 50, and retire for good.

COA 3: Retire at 20 and join the civilian workforce until 50.

Thanks for any advice.

I was in the exact same position as you. Same service, same age, on the next E-9 board, and about the same retirement savings 2 years ago. I went with a modified COA 3 (work until 45). QoL is much better as a civilian, but I do mis being around Marines. My kids mean more tho.

Congrats on making it this far.

S/F

As many others have said, welcome to the community and thank you for your service. My wife and I both retired from the Army and we had a similar decision back in 91. I do computers and my work is similar to work I did for the Army, so work wise I was able to slide to civilian work easily. Your work experience and expertise seems well suited to working a civilian job also. It was a transition to move from the big Army family and security we had to searching for a job and interviews and all that goes with it.

I'd suggest that you can go either way, and look back fondly with the memories you have and will build. I found big business to be full of politics but with few rules. I would suggest you meet with a couple recruiters to see what jobs are available in logistics and see if they interest you. If you want to I'm sure you can be close to the military family as a contractor or you can leave the govt sector completely and look into some of the automated warehousing or fulfillment center that your experience would suite you for.

My bottom line for my experience is at one point, either at 20 or 30 I was going to leave the Army. Do it now or do it in a few years. If there is an opportunity for you to hit the next phase of your life now, great. If no good opportunity then you can make one or you can spend a few more years, another assignment and keep your eyes open for the opportunity you want. Just remember, you can meet your financial goals and obligations either way. If it was me, I'd take the $$ out of the decision. Either way you can live a comfortable life with your pension and a moderate paycheck or draw from your retirement savings.

Which COA will bring you closer to where you want to be when you are 50 ?

Like many, I've been in the same boat as you. Here's a few lessons that I learned:

1) No matter what you do, you'll miss the service a bit. There is a distinct transition that may take months or years. Be ready for "the silence"; you'll be out of the loop on many things you had an interest in and if you stay interested, it just makes the transition harder. Be proud as hell on the inside but don't hang around the base.

2) Civilian jobs are not always better. They may pay more, but you have to deal with...well ...civilians. I quit a high paying job because it sucked. Now I'm an under-paid park ranger living in my trailer and I love it.

3) Think hard before turning down sergeant major. Those are rare folks; one percent of the service, as you know. It is to your great credit even to have that option. Well done.

4) Never consider VA disability in your retirement planning. If you get it, that's great. But for planning, go without it. Do consider that you'll lose your housing allowance, you'll pay dearly for dental insurance, prescriptions costs are trending upward, and Tricare costs have gone up twice this year. You don't know what the future holds so err conservatively.

5) Taxes. I was not aware that some states tax Social Security while others don't. In fact, I'm looking for a state that does not tax SS or military pensions. This stuff changes all the time (WV and AR eliminated taxes on military pensions this year). I tried to attach my spreadsheet with no joy. If interested, send me a PM and I'll try it that way.

Good luck and Semper Paratus
Frank

Last edited:
I retired from the AF way back in 1996 at 28 years TIS and E-9. Lots of excellent advice in all these responses; I'd only add that the retirement pay for my time in service and rank forms a solid basis for a successful retirement financial plan. We got some advice from a retired O-6 during one of USAA's traveling road shows many years ago that I never forgot: "If you're enjoying your active duty think long and hard about retiring from it until you absolutely have to; the grass is not always greener". I never forgot that. I know you'll make the right decision - that's what senior Marine NCOs do. Thank you for your service to our country and best of luck to you in the future.

Retire at 20. Pickup an overseas gov contract job. Save /invest 90 percent of that for 5years while living off you mil retirement . Then retire for good. When home on R&R spend quality time with kids.

Back
Top Bottom