Calling all Floridians...

heyduke

Recycles dryer sheets
Okay my target date to be FIREd is 02-2011 and the DW and I have decided that we will likely retire to Florida primarily because of the price of real estate there. We are looking pretty mush all over the state but really don't know much about florida. We have found interesting condos and houses in Fort Myers, Delray Beach, Deland, Canaveral, Vero Beach etc... but I need to be able to talk with some floridians...

so where do you live in Florida (or have lived) and what can you tell me about taxes, insurance, bad place to live etc... tell via a private message o thru this forum.

Thanks! :greetings10:

I have lived in Florida for fourteen years . I lived in Venice ,Fl for six years and on the border of Sarasota for nine years . Take some time and check out the various areas you are thinking about and narrow it down to what you want from a relocation . I enjoy the west coast of Florida especially Venice ,Fl. It has a lot of charm ,nice beaches , reasonable house prices , outdoor restaurants and did I mention loads of charm .It also is midway between Tampa and Fort Myers for airport access .

So moemg - what can you tell me about what part of town you would avoid if you were looking at venice? Now that you ahve been there for six years is there any other places in Florida you would also consider living - if so where?

The only part of Venice I would avoid is South Venice only because they have some water problems . Venice is basically a really low crime area . I like Sarasota but it is more expensive than Venice and much larger . I also really like Lakewood Ranch which is a master planned community which stretches from Manatee county to Sarasota County .It's a little farther from the beaches but a very nice area . My Sister lives in Glen Lakes In Weeki Wachee . The development is very nice but it is pretty isolated there .I also have a friend who lives in The Villages . If you need non stop activity this may be the place for you .I know very little about the east coast of Florida except St. Augustine which is charming . Try city data .com . It will help you narrow your choices .

We moved to Fl in '03, renting in Weston (west broward), then bought in Boca Raton. We are part year residents.

Lifestyle is quite different among the locations you mention. Fl goldcoast is culturally totally different from the rest due mostly to the latin american, turist and high transient population.

For areas in and around Ft Meyers, also Delray and area immediately north - there was quite a lot of building at the real estate peak and much of this property is on fire sale but not necessarily a good deal. Many associations have too many empty units or insolvent owners and don't have enough money to pay for current maintenance. Some towns have a high percentage of new to total housing units - and they may now suffer from some severe property tax and revenue issues as a result.

If at all possible, I'd advise renting for a year. If not possible, at least a road trip. Don't forget to include Tampa / St Pete on your list - I regret not having done so.

Cape Canaveral and Orlando

I have lived in the Cape Canaveral area for the past 12 years and lived in Orlando about 5 years before that.

If you like the water/outdoors, the best advice I can give is that if you're going to move to Florida, live near the beach, river, etc. I would be hard pressed to give up my short walk to the beach for big city shopping, fancy restaurants, etc. Of course the down side of that is that your homeowners insurance is considerably higher. But buying a place that was built recently with hurricane strengthening measures will help with that.

I like Cape Canaveral because it offers a little of everything. It's a residential beach community vs. a tourist town. There are plenty of quaint local shops and restaurants. The town is small enough so that the government listens to the residents. Orlando is a 45 minute drive away.

One of the biggest things to look out for is how the influx of tourists affect the town. During the holidays and spring break it can get pretty bad trying to get around and going to the store, etc. Also some areas are so anti-tourist that beach access is very limited unless you buy a season pass (New Smyrna).

Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck.

We live just south of Cape Canaveral and have been here for about 3 years.

The only thing that annoys me is the property tax set up. Taxes are based on when you move here. So if I'm paying 7K and my neighbor with the same house moved here earlier when the houses were cheaper he'll be paying $3800 for the same house. Now if someone moves here today now that prices have dropped and the gold rush is over they could be paying less than $3800 for the same house. Nuts!

Oh yeah, if the valuation of your house drops and the government has to charge you less taxes, they have a fix for that too. They just raise the millage rate and the taxes go up anyway.

MichaelB - sO HOW DO YOU LIKE Boca Raton - What are its pors and cons?.

I currently live in central Texas so the Fl goldcoast with its latin american doesn't bother too much... i speak a little spanish too..

You are right about the fire sales in and around Ft Meyers and Delray and north - I hadn't thought about the lack of money for the associations thus less maintenance.
But at the same token the property is on a fire sale and surely can't stay there forever, maybe we can make it thru the lean times and as a reult be living in a house worth twice what we paid for it.
- I like the advise on renting for a year but will liekely just take a road trip as I would like to buy now and possibly rent it out til i am FIREd.

I haven't yet looked at Tampa / St Pete but will.. why do you regret not having done so?

nachomama We have taken a peak at the canaveral area and like it a lot as well... I agree wwe really would like to be able to either walk or ride a bike to the beach whenever we pleased... how new do I need to look at to have most hurricane "features" included?

73ss454 so if we buy now we have cheaper taxes.. sweeet!

more questions than answers...john

You may have lower taxes but the millage rate is also important. Just don't believe the real estate agent when they tell you what the taxes are going to be. You will be reassessed and hit over the head. Make sure you do your DD with the property accessor
so you don't get an unwanted surprise.

I have to agree that the property tax situation is bizarre . Whatever you pay for your house that is what your property taxes are based on . In my neighborhood the taxes vary widely and if you add on to your house or do some improvements that require a permit bingo the property police raise your rates .

I'd say take a year or so and rent a place for a couple of months in various locations before you put down the big bucks,there maybe hidden conditions that you dont see on a quick one hour visit to a perspective property examples would be volume of traffic as in some places it can be insane,also heat and humidity can be overwhelming for some,and insurance costs close to the water can be very expensive if you can get it at all.
And dont forget to include the pan handle in your search, lots of nice communities between Tallahassee and Pensacola

Well, property tax notices were sent out today in Palm Beach county. Valuations fell, the millage rate increased and most folks will see their taxes increase due to Florida’s crazy property tax sysem, but our tax this year decreased by 15%. It’s still outrageously expensive, but now slightly less so.

MichaelB - sO HOW DO YOU LIKE Boca Raton - What are its pors and cons?.
DW chose Boca Raton, and she loves it. For me it resembles a giant assisted living facility. It makes us feel positively adolescent. The parking lots are treacherous.

I currently live in central Texas so the Fl goldcoast with its latin american doesn't bother too much... i speak a little spanish too.
I somehow think there are some differences between central Texas and Florida goldcoast that aren’t being considered in your assessment.

You are right about the fire sales in and around Ft Meyers and Delray and north - I hadn't thought about the lack of money for the associations thus less maintenance.
But at the same token the property is on a fire sale and surely can't stay there forever, maybe we can make it thru the lean times and as a reult be living in a house worth twice what we paid for it.
- I like the advise on renting for a year but will liekely just take a road trip as I would like to buy now and possibly rent it out til i am FIREd.
It is on fire sale and can stay that way for years. It can even get cheaper. There is absolutely no force on the horizon (or on planet earth) that would make it increase substantially in price anytime soon.

I haven't yet looked at Tampa / St Pete but will.. why do you regret not having done so?
I have the impression that the Tampa area has a lower “flakiness factor”. No hard data, though. ymmv

I have the impression that the Tampa area has a lower “flakiness factor”. No hard data, though. ymmv
Living here, I have that impression, too. It's more or less a working city, not as much a tourist destination as St. Pete or South Floriday, though it has its share.

That's part of the reason we like it - just real life in a tropical climate with an average cost of living. We live in a non-development neighborhood, a residential community with lots of huge oak trees and shade, sidewalks, etc. Lots of nearby beaches without having to live in a resort atmosphere.

All I'd need to make it just about right would be a) kids and g'kids closer by and b) time to escape the steam bath and hurricane angst for a month or two between July and September. I'm working on item "B" and item "A" is mostly out of my control for now.

I also live in a non development neighborhood but if you want instant friends and social life move into a newer development and get a few recipes ready because you will be entertaining a lot .

I somehow think there are some differences between central Texas and Florida goldcoast that aren’t being considered in your assessment.

not sure what you are trying to say here... I think that where I live now and where I want to live are very similar can you elaborate...

I live in DFW and visit Fort Lauderdale and Naples areas of Florida extensively as I have alot of family there. Other than both being hot, the areas are like night and day to me. What similarities do you see?

What are you referring to as Central Texas and the Goldcoast of Florida?

Why would you move to Florida from Texas ? Same heat , higher real estate prices and high property taxes ?

Living here, I have that impression, too. It's more or less a working city
This is the key. So much of the population in South Fl views their stay as temporary. The lack of commitment is reflected in the lack of social infrastructure.

not sure what you are trying to say here... I think that where I live now and where I want to live are very similar can you elaborate
Anything I say past this point is bound to offend someone, so my recommendation is an extended stay in South Florida so you can judge for yourself.

Invariably, these discussions quickly reach a point of diminishing returns because they get stuck in a maze of personal preference, over-generalization and all that.

Anyone without an attitude should be able to find a very nice living situation in the climate of their choice. When young, I wrote off Floriday based on my visits to family who retired there (WPB area) - swore I would never live there. Now i live there and enjoy it immensely. Tropical beauty, gorgeous winters and hot but tolerable summers with less traffic; beaches, parks, nature, whatever you want.

If someone thinks all of Texas, all of Florida, all of California - whatever - is not for them, fine. Don't live there. But I wouldn't write off any of the above depending on what was important to you.

Invariably, these discussions quickly reach a point of diminishing returns because they get stuck in a maze of personal preference, over-generalization and all that.

That's for sure! Choosing a retirement location is a very complex decision. There are so many factors to consider and I would imagine that each individual weights them differently.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Anyone without an attitude should be able to find a very nice living situation in the climate of their choice.

That is so true. And then for some retirees, climate is not the most important criterion in choosing a place to live. I would imagine that it is more likely to be so among those living in Florida and Hawaii than it is for some others.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
When young, I wrote off Floriday based on my visits to family who retired there (WPB area) - swore I would never live there. Now i live there and enjoy it immensely. Tropical beauty, gorgeous winters and hot but tolerable summers with less traffic; beaches, parks, nature, whatever you want.

If someone thinks all of Texas, all of Florida, all of California - whatever - is not for them, fine. Don't live there. But I wouldn't write off any of the above depending on what was important to you.

But then, I would expect that you have written off all of Minnesota, all of Alaska, and all of North Dakota, haven't you? :greetings10: Other criteria than climate also have geographic aspects.

Another thing I have noticed is that sometimes it is easier to see the flaws and advantages of a location once living there, than by any other means. Renting first is not a bad idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom