CANADA?

hfwr,I agree there is nothing funny about Greene.

Jim Carrey has talent, I just find him wierd.

Robin Williams is the Gold Standard.

Maximillion said:
Robin Williams is the Gold Standard.

Of course.  Born in Chicago, 1951.  Son of a Ford executive who retired early.

bosco said:
not true in BC. In BC, 3-month wait, and then not only MAY you get healthcare, you are required to by law. While you are waiting the 3 months, there are fairly reasonable policies available.

in genereal, procedures and care are cheaper. But for some procedures, there can be fairly long waits (example--orthopedic surgery).

The 3 month wait is a fairly recent thing in some places. I don't think any province requires more than 3 months but I could be wrong on this.

If you read the post correctly and what I responded to, I am not referring to a 6 month wait before you can qualify for health care. I lived in several Canadian provinces incl BC, so I have been through the health care hoops before. This is about a 6 month/yr resident. If you only live in Canada for a few months per year, you may loose your provincial health care benefits. This can affect snowbirds and people who only like to spend their summers in Canada. On the flipside, you do are not considered a resident of Canada for Revenue Canada if you do not have a lot of ties to Canada and there only a few months per year (but then you would also risk to lose permanent resident status).

Vicky

Maximillion said:
My Son, a Canadian Citizen, but Non resident due to his living in China, is not eligible for Ontario's coverage for 6 months.
Not True, if he returns to Ontario there is ONLY a 3 month waiting period. I have done it many times.

SWR

vic said:
If you read the post correctly and what I responded to, I am not referring to a 6 month wait before you can qualify for health care. I lived in several Canadian provinces incl BC, so I have been through the health care hoops before. This is about a 6 month/yr resident. If you only live in Canada for a few months per year, you may loose your provincial health care benefits. This can affect snowbirds and people who only like to spend their summers in Canada. On the flipside, you do are not considered a resident of Canada for Revenue Canada if you do not have a lot of ties to Canada and there only a few months per year (but then you would also risk to lose permanent resident status).

Vicky

U are right, I misread your post. Sorry.

As for "a lot of ties to Canada", while that is true (there are lists of major and minor ties) it is an easy one to get into trouble with since there is no absolute definition of resident and CCRB decides each on an individual case. Bottom line is that if you are a citizen or permanent resident and own a house which you are not renting out to a non-relative, then you may have to do some fancy footwork to avoid being considered a resident for tax purposes, snowbird or not. That's not to say you may not lose your health coverage. There are a lot of things that get considered, but some appear to be considered more significant than others. Bottom line is that it is best to check on all this stuff ahead of time rather than find out after you've been considered a tax resident. It's much harder to undo tax residency after you have it than it is to not have it in the first place.

I spent some time and money on a tax lawyer and acccountant last fall over just this issue....

tax residency is different than provincial residency for motor vehicle and health care purposes which is different from "permanent residency" (an immigration category). Even many officials don't understand this.

tax residency is different than provincial residency for motor vehicle and health care purposes which is different from "permanent residency" (an immigration category). Even many officials don't understand this.

bosco,

Too, too true!

Ed

Back
Top Bottom