Join Early Retirement Today

Canada / New England cruise - Looking for insight.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Canada / New England cruise - Looking for insight.

My next cruise turns out to be Montreal / Quebec / Halifax / Bar Harbor / Boston / Newport / NYC in October. Now I'm quite familiar with NYC, but I've never been to any of the other places. If you have visited or live in one of them, how would you spend a day there? The ship tours are usually boring and natives can put together something much more interesting.

Thanks for all answers.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Canada / New England cruise - Looking for insi
Old 07-26-2004, 11:00 AM   #2

I'm no expert on these places, but I'll tell you about what I know and see if we can get it started for you. I don't live in any of those places, but I've been to Bar Harbor and Boston a number of times.

I was in Bar Harbor on 9/11 -- ironically I was part of an Office of Naval Research sponsored workshop discussing technology roles in fighting terrorism. The 9/11 attacks obviously colored our week in Bar Harbor significantly. But the area was very interesting. I like outdoor activities a lot and I really enjoyed hiking across the bar (that provides the name, Bar Harbor) to the island and around. Don't get caught out there during high tide or you'll be stuck till the next low tide. The lobster was unbelievably good and cheap. I think I ate lobster for every meal. The town is a quaint -- tourist shops in a nice setting. Harbor excursions are worthwhile if you have the time and the weather is okay. There are also some scenic parks nearby with nice views of the landscape.

Boston is one of the only cities in the US that I enjoy. I prefer rural or small town atmosphere most of the time and don't really like cities. But Boston has character and history. There are nice parks -- often with free concerts, walking tours of historical landmarks, museums, fish markets, etc. Don't forget to try the clam chowder. Legal Seafood is my favorite stop for this.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Newport: *some VERY fun little shops and some wonderful restaurants. *If you have a half day, walk on the Cliff Walk and visit one of the mansions, perhaps The Breakers. *If you LOVE the gilded age, visit all the mansions you like, but one was enough for me.

Boston: *Quincy Marketplace has lots of great shops all under one roof. *Old Ironsides is docked in Charlestown Harbor. *The Freedom Trail walks you through downtown and visits some of the best Revolutionary (and before) history sites of anyplace. *If you love children's books, there are statues of the ducklings dedicated to Make Way for Ducklings in the Public Gardens. *Don't forget Cambridge, which is a quick ride on the T and has Harvard, MIT, Radcliffe, and plenty of other intellectual stimulation. *I prefer the little shops of Cambridge to Quincy Marketplace, which is quite tourist-oriented. *Durgin Park Restaurant is a Boston landmark; if you go, have Indian Pudding for dessert, or they probably won't let you leave.

I love everything in Montreal. *Look for small, cozy restaurants in Old Montreal and have mussels. *Well, really, have anything. *It's fantastic. *Don't order Poutine just to learn what it is: *it's french fries with GRAVY and CHEESE, just in case the fries weren't greasy enough. *Go to the top of Mount Royal to look out over the city. *Go ice skating at the Bell Center. *If you love malls, there is a huge underground mall in Montreal, excellent for winter shopping. But I don't travel that kind of distance just to go to a mall.

I've never been to Quebec City, so I want a full report when you come back! *I've never been to Halifax, either, but the rest of Nova Scotia is marvelous. *If the tour takes you out of the city, and into Louisburg (sp?) or even better, up around Cape Breton, DO NOT MISS IT. Keep your eyes peeled for seals and other incredible wildlife. All over Nova Scotia the lupines bloom in the summer, an incredibly beautiful sight.

Have I msised anything? I love New England!

Anne
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 06:37 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What she said re: newport and boston.

Perhaps a trip to the boston public gardens, a swan boat ride, and a beer at Cheers followed by some window shopping through the old brownstones on newberry street?

The fascinating part of this area of the city, known as 'the back bay": The back bay/fens area was pretty much a swamp well over a hundred years ago. The city contracted with some granite quarriers from the south shore area to bring gravel and granite and fill in the fens. They got to keep a portion of the 'land' created. If you have an eye for architecture, you can see the construction of the buildings change from one block to the next, west to east, as the fens were filled in and buildings put up...in whatever was the architectural fad of the day. About 5-8 years per "block" was filled in.

Not really my bag, but people interested in old brick and brownstone buildings with copper gildings go positively giddy...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:56 PM   #5

Thanks all. The ship offers 'walks' for $30 per person but I knew you'd all come thru with a low cost alternative. Looking forward to
  • lunch at Legal Seafood in Boston with walks around the parks, Quincy Marketplace, Old Ironsides at Charlestown Harbor, Public Gardens, Freedom Trail through downtown -- didn't realize Cambridge was that close.
    Then to Durgin Park Restaurant for Indian Pudding before returning to ship
  • hiking across Bar Harbor (love to walk -- it's the only exercise I get)
  • cliff walk in Newport. I actually got a tourist flyer from them but it barely mentioned cliff walk -- showed where it was and that was it!
I'll let you know what Montreal is like. *
Old 07-27-2004, 04:41 PM   #6

I am a little weird but there is an old graveyard
in downtown Boston that has headstones dating
back to the revolution. Some are scarred by bullet
marks. The thing that struck me was how close the
rows of headstones were ..... they must have been
pretty short people or were buried standing up.

I also enjoyed seeing the old church where
so much of our early history was lived. Can't
remember the name but the box like pews for
each family stick in my mind. They used individual
small heaters in the boxes as I recall .... its a wonder
the place did not burn down.

Cheers,

Charlie i
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:58 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The fascinating part of this area of the city, known as 'the back bay": The back bay/fens area was pretty much a swamp well over a hundred years ago. *
When I lived in boston I lived on Peterborough Street, then Hemenway St. Both in the Fens. Recently my drum teacher, who is a young guy from Boston, told me that the Fens has become "Gay City", and basically not a good place to go. Not that the people are too stylish, but that there is a high level of sexual and other violence.

Mikey
Old 07-28-2004, 09:02 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Chuck - that might be the "old north church"?

My dad tells me that when they went to church, they had to heat up rocks in the oven at home and put them in their pockets to keep warm. :P

Mikey - yep that area of the fens was pretty nasty even 10 years ago when I lived in town. Not so much a problem up by newberry street except your wallet may suffer severe damage if you try to do anything except look at stuff...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:01 AM   #9

Yes, "the old north church" sounds right. Thanks, TH.

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:26 PM   #10

My dears,

It is, indeed, Old North Church. Do the words, "One if by land, two if by sea" ring any bells?

Mother Goose (and many other historic personages) are buried in that churchyard.

It's on the Freedom Trail. And if these Californians and other people can't remember the significance of the Old North Church, you can tell them when you come back!

Anne
Old 07-28-2004, 09:30 PM   #11

Yep, they covered that stuff in school even way out here in California

And it should be great seeing the fall colors ... we don't have changing leaves in the Bay Area
Old 07-29-2004, 06:37 AM   #12

Fall used to be my favorite season, partly because
I was a hunter (reformed now). Anyway, I still enjoy the colors, but am always amused by people who travel
hundreds of miles to "see the colors".
We got 'em right here folks (just a nine iron from Wisconsin). Same trees, same colors.
Yet, every year I hear of nuts packing their trunks and branching out all over just
to see the leaves.

John Galt
Old 07-29-2004, 07:50 AM   #13

Colors + mountains = the best.

I've been to Wisconsin (and there are pictures to prove it) but it was in the summer and besides, I was wearing diapers. So I don't remember if there are mountains in which to watch the colors change.

Anne
Old 07-29-2004, 09:16 AM   #14

Hello Anne. Wisconsin has no mountains worthy of the name. However., lots of higher elevations and no shortage of great scenery in general, especially along
the rivers and great lakes. Pretty state. Politics were
a turn off when I lived there, but that is true of just about any location on the planet

John Galt
Old 07-29-2004, 07:17 PM   #15

I suspect that you and I should avoid discussing politics, and stick to foliage and rental property.

I love New England, I love the gentle mountains and the mossy, rocky valleys. I come by my love of this terrain honestly. When my father was on leave in WWII, before he left for overseas, he and his brother went hiking in the White Mountains. They climbed long and hard, reached the summit, and sat down to drink water and look at the view. Looking out over the vista, my father said, "I guess we know what we're fighting for."

His brother told us that story at his funeral; I am so grateful for that story, and for all the hikes my father took us on when we were kids.

Anne
Old 07-30-2004, 02:22 AM   #16

Aw, Anne.........some of my best friends are liberals.
A few even think I'm cute

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

John Galt
Old 07-30-2004, 01:32 PM   #17

Quote:
A few even think I'm cute
JohnGalt

I think it's about time you posted a Picture, so that we can judge that for ourselves.

Speaking of Liberals. I am one and proud of it! - I voted for McGovern (which was the correct vote, not the winning one) - Lucky they threw Agnew out or he would have been president, which would have been worse than Nixon.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:40 PM   #18

Sorry, I can't post a photo. I would be inundated
with e-mails from lonely females Anyway, all
liberals should be cooked in their own juices. The
sooner the better. Obviously the Democratic ticket
makes me want to puke. Not to worry though, I'm used to it.

John Galt
Old 07-30-2004, 03:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Sorry, I can't post a photo. *I would be inundated
with e-mails from lonely females * * *Anyway, all
liberals should be cooked in their own juices. *The
sooner the better. *Obviously the Democratic ticket
makes me want to puke. *Not to worry though, I'm used to it.

John Galt

How about a picture of you puking. I don't think you'd get too many e-mails.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:23 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Better yet - wait till Nov - Maybe I'll post one of my sister - since she's a -yech! - republican - other than that - ok as a sister.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote