October weather in New England...

itsmyparty

Recycles dryer sheets
We're thinking of a short getaway (7 day cruise on mega liner) out of Boston (we're west coasters) to a few ports along the New England Coast. 3 dates available, leaving Oct. 2, 16 and 23rd. Most convenient one for us leaves Oct. 16th. We're a little concerned about the weather....and wondered if anyone who lives out that way or has travelled in the area during October could give us an idea of what we might experience. Cool and even cold is one thing....but snow and very rough seas are another!! I know its hard, especially with the way the weather seems to be changing, but would like to hear what you've experienced. It leaves Boston and hits ports like Portland, Rockland, Bar Harbor, Saint John and Halifax. We haven't seen that area before...and would like to. Thanks all!:)

We were in Boston late last October and it was chilly . Think layers and definitely get gloves . It did snow but it was only flurries .

I spend every October on Long Island on the shoreline and watch the leaves change color. The weather could be shorts and sandals ... or it could be cold and wet. It would be very unlikely to be below freezing, but I always take a down vest, sweater and a rain parka is case it is windy and cold.

Thanks for your responses.....we will definitely be dressing in layers. If anyone has a good Boston, Portland, Rockland restaurant they've tried...love to hear about it! We're looking forward to finally seeing some of the East Coast!:)

After living on Long Island for 58 years I always felt the weather was tooooo something. Snowy, overcast, hot, wet, cold, rainy, etc.

Thanks for your responses.....we will definitely be dressing in layers. If anyone has a good Boston, Portland, Rockland restaurant they've tried...love to hear about it! We're looking forward to finally seeing some of the East Coast!:)

If you are staying in Boston before or after your cruise use priceline and get a hotel in the Copley square area . I've used it several times and always got great hotels . You can go to Bidding for travel or the Priceline /Hotwire forum and they will tell you what hotels you'll probably get .

You definitely want one of these for being out on deck in sea spray or light rain.
Windbreaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
100% Waterproof is key. A removable liner of insulating material is even better. :D
You can wear lots of warm layers underneath. The windbreaker will keep everything completely dry.
Waterproof (or water resistant) gloves would be good too.

I originially thought we might be leaving this cruise to New England/E. Coast area until too late in the season.....but hearing about Hurricane Earl..am kind of glad. Hopefully mid to late Oct. will not see any hurricanes....I'll take snow any day!:)

Back
Top Bottom